Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Where is Panasonic in this game?
    So, the Canon C300 is available for pre-order at BH and other authorized dealers for.........$16k body only.

Now...Perhaps I'm smoking crack here, but isn't Panasonic in a position to dominate this market? We already have an AF100....granted, the decision to go m4/3 is questionable but if Panasonic were to combine elements of the AF100 and FS100 with the HPX250, wouldn't we have a competition-killer on our hands?

This has been brought up before, I'm sure...but the specs of the F3 and the C300 leave quite a bit to be desired, especially at their price points. Let's say Panasonic was to:

-cut the lens off the HPX250
    -replace the 1/3" sensors with a S35
    -keep everything else the same

Couldn't they do this relatively easily, while maintaining a camera price below $8k? The removal of the lens would help to balance out the S35 sensor. Perhaps it's easier said than done, but an HPX250 with interchangeable lenses and an S35 sensor would, in essence, be the perfect camera.

2. Collapse Details
    Would you really want another camera in the 10-20,000 price range? Seems pretty well saturated to me. Panasonic is rocking the sub 10K and even sub 1K world with great cameras. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something in between the AF100 and the F3/C300 someday from Panasonic.
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Would you really want another camera in the 10-20,000 price range? Seems pretty well saturated to me.
    Agree 100% - and most seem to think that those cameras are over-priced for their featured set. They're certainly not very future proof given their 8 bit pedigrees.

I've predicted the announcement of an AF200 before the year is out, a camera that blends the best of the AF/FS100 into one "super indie" model, which I'm assuming will be right around $5,500.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

4. Collapse Details
    I think Panasonic does have to do something or risk sitting over in the corner with JVC.

the next camera needs:
    10 bit architecture and recording in camera - doesn't have to be p2, higher bit rate avchd would be fine with me.
    Improved sensor- doesn't really have to be s35 in my mind but I could be wrong...
    A higher quality industrial design/ build of the camera body.
    more robust menu - more like their pro 2/3s cameras.
    Price: 13k list

Needed by: NAB
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 01-17-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: formatting from iPad post is all wrong.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1076 View Post
    ...the decision to go m4/3 is questionable...
    What's wrong with M4/3? I still don't understand why this seems like such a big handicap to people.

Shawn

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I think Panasonic does have to do something or risk sitting ove in the corner with JVC.
    How big is the market for ~$15k digital cinema cameras, really? You've got RED/Scarlet, the F3, and now the C300. How much does Panasonic have to gain by entering a relatively niche market that is already pretty saturated? I mean, they probably sell more of any given HPX P2 camera then the entire market for digital cinema cameras in this market combined. Is it really worth their time?

Don't get me wrong, an AVC-Intra P2 AF100 type camera would be fantastic, but that would probably be in the sub $10k market. I don't think there is enough in the ~$15k market to make it worth their time. Just because everyone else is doing, doesn't necessarily mean they have to.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post
    What's wrong with M4/3? I still don't understand why this seems like such a big handicap to people.
    Yeah, I fail to see what is necessarily gained by S35 besides even shallower DoF. Look at a comparison of m4/3, S35, and a frame of 35mm cinema film... m4/3 is a bit closer in size than S35 to 35mm film.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Would you really want another camera in the 10-20,000 price range? Seems pretty well saturated to me. Panasonic is rocking the sub 10K and even sub 1K world with great cameras. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something in between the AF100 and the F3/C300 someday from Panasonic.
    No, I don't..perhaps you misread my post. With Panasonic already having the technology and codec, it would end up being a $7-8k camera. And fine...keep the 4/3 sensor...An AF200 recording AVC-Intra 4:2:2 would be amazing for $7k or so. Bonus point for recording to SDXC.

9. Collapse Details
    I would personally just like to see some better glass come out on panasonic's part. I really like the M4/3 sensor, just not the lack of native lenses.
    Gh2, Canon FD set from 24-85mm and 14mm panasonic.

10. Collapse Details
    Bonus points for recording to SSDs! .. After the Samurai, i'm a fan of the SSDs! Reliable and *way* faster
    than P2s.

An S35 sensor would be nice too.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast