Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    From GH2 to?....
    Hi, I'd appreciate some help here.

I've grown weary of the whole 'DSLR Rig' thing - I like my GH2, but the paraphernalia required to turn it into a full function video camera is just too much for me to cope with any longer.

Cage, rods, follow focus, mics, H4n, monitor, matte box......the kitchen sink and a toaster thrown in for good measure.......it's driving me nuts.

Ended up with a monstrosity weighing 7 kg, and looking like a spinal brace.... so I've made a firm decision to escape.

I have a reasonable (I hope) carbon fibre stabiliser on its way from Wondlan, and I want to change to a decent consumer/prosumer camcorder.

My budget is 2500-2600 tops, and my options seem to be the JVC HM150, the Sony NX70, and the Canon XF100 (unless anyone can come up wih something else)

I instinctively prefer CMOS because of the better low light capability - although, at such small sensor sizes, would there really be a noticeable difference between a 1/3rd CMOS and the 3 x 1/4 CCD's of the JVC?

I'm tempted by the JVC because of the feature set and the lower price (about 300 cheaper) but I'd rather pay the extra if it got me something noticeably better.

Any advice? - which one would you get?

Thanks

EDIT - forgot to add that there's probably more chance of viewing a saddle for a Rhinocerus than of seeing all three cams locally (and, in the case of the JVC, a golden Rhino saddle studded with diamonds) so, I'll be buying pretty much blind - which is why I'd really appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Framerate; 01-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Framerate View Post
    Hi, I'd appreciate some help here.

I've grown weary of the whole 'DSLR Rig' thing - I like my GH2, but the paraphernalia required to turn it into a full function video camera is just too much for me to cope with any longer.

Cage, rods, follow focus, mics, H4n, monitor, matte box......the kitchen sink and a toaster thrown in for good measure.......it's driving me nuts.

Ended up with a monstrosity weighing 7 kg, and looking like a spinal brace.... so I've made a firm decision to escape.

I have a reasonable (I hope) carbon fibre stabiliser on its way from Wondlan, and I want to change to a decent consumer/prosumer camcorder.

My budget is 2500-2600 tops, and my options seem to be the JVC HM150, the Sony NX70, and the Canon XF100 (unless anyone can come up wih something else)

I instinctively prefer CMOS because of the better low light capability - although, at such small sensor sizes, would there really be a noticeable difference between a 1/3rd CMOS and the 3 x 1/4 CCD's of the JVC?

I'm tempted by the JVC because of the feature set and the lower price (about 300 cheaper) but I'd rather pay the extra if it got me something noticeably better.

Any advice? - which one would you get?

Thanks

EDIT - forgot to add that there's probably more chance of viewing a saddle for a Rhinocerus than of seeing all three cams locally (and, in the case of the JVC, a golden Rhino saddle studded with diamonds) so, I'll be buying pretty much blind - which is why I'd really appreciate your input.

No-one got any thoughts????

3. Collapse Details
    Honestly going from a GH2 to anyone of those cameras is going to seem very, very underwhelming. The GH2 blows them all out of the water quality wise, especially when hacked. I made the step from a GH2 to an FS100, but that's a little out of your budget, I would stick with the GH2 and save up some pennies, because upgrading from that little beast is going to cost a bit.

4. Collapse Details
    +1 Same way of thinking.
    www.cajitacreativa.com
    Sony a7s | Lumix GH4

5. Collapse Details

framerate, I take it you are in the UK. If you can make it I recommend visiting the Broadcast Video Expo show at Earls Court in February - link below. If you pre-register online you may still be able to get free entry. Takes place over three days and you can pick up examples from a wide range of cameras and see how they handle. I also recommend checking out the free seminars (programme on the website) because there's a good chance there will be at least one you will want to attend. I've been twice to the expo and haven't regretted it, particularly in regard to the seminars and NLE demonstrations.

http://www.bvexpo.com/bve/website/default.aspx?refer=6
    Last edited by lowlight; 01-18-2012 at 04:48 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    Honestly going from a GH2 to anyone of those cameras is going to seem very, very underwhelming. The GH2 blows them all out of the water quality wise, especially when hacked. I made the step from a GH2 to an FS100, but that's a little out of your budget, I would stick with the GH2 and save up some pennies, because upgrading from that little beast is going to cost a bit.

Thanks, appreciate your input.

'Underwhelming' in what way? - noise?, or resolution?, or something else?

I understand about the DOF issues - but, in all honestly, I've grown a bit bored with shallow DOF and would be happy with 'almost everything in focus'

If anything, I found the GH2 underwhelming compared to my GH1 - better in some ways, but the only thing I really appreciated about it was the HDMI feed to a monitor while recording. Certainly, GH2 noise has been a bit disappointing. Ironically, I've seen quite a lot of low light/night footage from the Sony HXR-MC200E (which, as I'm sure you know, is basically just a Hanycam in a big shell ) that is much cleaner than my GH2.

Horses for courses, obviously - and I'm certainly not knocking the GH2, it's just that I want a simpler soluton that doesn't require an array of bolt-on extras to make it perform ergonomically like a video cam.

2600 has to be my budget, I'm afraid ;)

7. Collapse Details
    Get rid of all the bolt-ons. That's my opinion. Look at the entire setup and ask yourself what do you need, and which bits, if removed, makes it impossible to film. See there are a ton of things we want, a lot of things we need, but only a few things we cannot live without. Weight is good from a stability point of few - but you know that.

My 2 cents, and being in South Africa and you in the UK, those 2 cents aren't worth much.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
    Get rid of all the bolt-ons. That's my opinion. Look at the entire setup and ask yourself what do you need, and which bits, if removed, makes it impossible to film. See there are a ton of things we want, a lot of things we need, but only a few things we cannot live without. Weight is good from a stability point of few - but you know that.

My 2 cents, and being in South Africa and you in the UK, those 2 cents aren't worth much.

Dunno - have you taken a look at the UK economy lately? No-one in Government dares to come out and say it, but we are in deep sh*t (to use the offcial Bank of England parlance... )

As far as the add-ons go - it's like Topsy, it 'just growed'

Growed to about 7Kg, in fact - and that's with a lightweight lens.

Trouble is, everything has a definite purpose (each of which is doing its bit to help the GH2 be a real videocam) That's why I'm going to *get* a real videocam - and morbidly obese Topsy can go to ebay

The only gadget I really want is the Wondlan stabilser that's supposed to be on its way to me - which is another reason for dumping the bolt-ons, the stabiliser isn't going to work with a behemoth of a cage on it (although, apparently, it's good for 5Kg) which means I'll have to use it the camera stripped of all its goodies. In that case, I might as well have a camera that has some of the goodies (like decent sound) built in and just enjoy those smoooooth shots that Wondlan assure me are mine for the taking..

That's the theory, anyway.

9. Collapse Details
    If you are interested in a "real camcorder" that will allow you to use your existing lenses, there is a used AF-101 for sale in London for 3450 if you can stretch your budget a bit - http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....mint-condition

You may be able to get it for less -- this one started at 3000 and sold for 2850: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?4...-adapters-etc).

Good luck,

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution
    http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com
    FZ150/GH1/GH2/TM900

10. Collapse Details
    I do still love the look of the EX1, for what it's worth. Step down imagewise from the GH2 but a step up for more usability/run and gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast