1. Collapse Details
    Youtube is the DEVIL!
    I have an age old issue, but I've yet to find a solution!

I'm well aware that Youtube compresses the hell out of footage and is extremely lossy, so I know my upload will never look like the original file. My issue is with the low-res (360p & 480p) versions of my videos. They look worse than normal standard definition! To make matters worse, I see other people's work and even though their 360 & 480 versions don't look great, they still look waaaay better than mine. Can anyone help me? I use Apple Compressor and have tried so many different settings. Of course I compress to H.264 and I've had bitrates ranging from 5,000-15,000 and usually have my keyframes at 24 for my 24fps footage but still, no avail. Someone please help me... the fact is that most people don't bother to hit the HQ button on youtube and as much as I love Vimeo, Youtube is still the standard for the masses. Here's an example of the quality issues I'm referring to:

http://youtu.be/O295eiwzDe4

Thank you!

-LCD-

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LCD View Post
    I have an age old issue, but I've yet to find a solution!

I'm well aware that Youtube compresses the hell out of footage and is extremely lossy, so I know my upload will never look like the original file. My issue is with the low-res (360p & 480p) versions of my videos. They look worse than normal standard definition! To make matters worse, I see other people's work and even though their 360 & 480 versions don't look great, they still look waaaay better than mine. Can anyone help me? I use Apple Compressor and have tried so many different settings. Of course I compress to H.264 and I've had bitrates ranging from 5,000-15,000 and usually have my keyframes at 24 for my 24fps footage but still, no avail. Someone please help me... the fact is that most people don't bother to hit the HQ button on youtube and as much as I love Vimeo, Youtube is still the standard for the masses. Here's an example of the quality issues I'm referring to:

http://youtu.be/O295eiwzDe4

Thank you!

-LCD-

I don't think video quality is any worse than typical youtube

The other tricks are to shoot it differently (but you probably don't want to do that). If you have less motion in your shots, the frame quality will be higher, it's just the way long GOP codecs work

If you are linking from another site (such as in the post above), you can "force" people to watch the HD version by adding "&hd=1" (without the quotes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O295eiwzDe4&hd=1

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your response, PDR. I'll take all of that into account.