Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I await a P2 camera with AVC Intra 100 and an S35 chip too, ENG style with a nice std lens at around £10k would be good too!
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

2. Collapse Details
    I feel the same way and I'd really want to stick with P2 media since that's what I'm already using and am used to. If Panny offered the 3100 as a complete kit and not body only, then we'd be talking.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    I feel the same way and I'd really want to stick with P2 media since that's what I'm already using and am used to. If Panny offered the 3100 as a complete kit and not body only, then we'd be talking.
    +1

But it is a far stretch though... A 3100 with a CMOS sensor and a kit lens for 16k-17k and at-least 720 50p. That's what I'm waiting for. Or a S35 chip camcorder (not in a ENG body!) with P2, AVCintra and with a good picture (not like AF100 that fails in picture quality if you ask me)...
    Sanjin Švajger

4. Collapse Details
    I think if I were after a non ENG style camera the canon C300 would be my choice rather than stick with P2 but we shall see what panny bring out this year.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

5. Collapse Details
    I would wait until NAB 2012. You'll see some new cameras from everyone.

But, if you want to see something really just great, google the new Nikon D4. Holy Cow! Audio monitoring, much, much better video than the Canon 5D. HDMI uncompressed recording output. I'm dusting off my old Nikkor lenses. I might sell my HPX500. Also going to buy the new Panasonic 3D cam.
    Last edited by JohnnyD; 01-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KINOKS View Post
    Torches and pitchforks

If Panny doesn't come out with a new shoulder mount P2 camera within the price range of the Sony 350 or if they don't release a P2 camera with a S35 chip in the next year I'm switching camp.
    I already switched camp - my beloved 2700 is gone, as is my MXF4mac not-inexpensive P2 workflow. To be fair the C300 is a better fit for what I do, and my back is already thanking me. But for an ENG-style form factor camera no complaints with the 2700. Bulletproof.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jw2700 View Post
    I already switched camp - my beloved 2700 is gone, as is my MXF4mac not-inexpensive P2 workflow. To be fair the C300 is a better fit for what I do, and my back is already thanking me. But for an ENG-style form factor camera no complaints with the 2700. Bulletproof.
    So you opted for a C300? That's a whole different beast compared to the ENG 2700. I wonder...what's to become of the 2/3 format in the future?
    Sanjin Švajger

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KINOKS View Post
    So you opted for a C300? That's a whole different beast compared to the ENG 2700. I wonder...what's to become of the 2/3 format in the future?
    I wouldn't worry too much about 2/3", looking at it from the side of practicality. A typical ENG lens can have an extreme zoom range equivalent to about 32~550mm (in 35mm FoV terms) and still maintain a constant aperture. And then there's size and weight - a portable lens shouldn't weight more than about 2kg, but if you wanted the same functionality and feature set as 2/3" lenses on a larger sensor, size would increase considerably.

The thing I keep thinking about on the subject of the C300 is the 8-bit codec. If you're shooting with a precooked look in camera, its not of much concern, but why add a Log gamma? Assuming the gamma curve in Canon Log is completely linear as in a stills camera, you'd be compressing potentially 12+ stops of dynamic range (however much the C300 can handle) into a codec that can only hold 8 real stops of DR.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    If you're shooting with a precooked look in camera, its not of much concern, but why add a Log gamma? Assuming the gamma curve in Canon Log is completely linear as in a stills camera, you'd be compressing potentially 12+ stops of dynamic range (however much the C300 can handle) into a codec that can only hold 8 real stops of DR.
    This has been discussed alot. 10 bit would have been great, I agree. But judging from the videos that are popping up on the net that were shot with S-LOG there seems to be no problem.
    Sanjin Švajger

10. Collapse Details
    I suppose there shouldn't be any problems, assuming you want a low-contrast look. Things like noise and compression tend to dither video anyway...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast