Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    crop factor 1.86x or 2x ?
    some people says GH2 crop factor is 2x
    some people says GH2 crop factor is 1.86x

so, wich one is the true?

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    Neither. Well, that's not exactly true. A lot of people compare 4/3 to full frame (5Dmk2), which is wrong because typically movies are not shot full frame. For video, you don't want to compare to full frame. For stills, full frame is okay to compare, but not for video. The 5D is the exception, not the rule. We're talking about video here, so you start with Super 35 as the standard, as it's been for years.

It's 2.1x when compared to a full frame sensor like in the 5Dmk2. I don't know where the 1.86x comes from. Here's a list of crop factors when 4/3 is compared to different cameras:

Super 35 Film 1.4x
    Super 16 Film 0.7x
    Red One/Scarlet 4K 1.3x
    Red Epic 5K 1.5x
    Sony F3/F35/FS100 1.3x
    Arri Alexa 1.4x
    Canon 5Dmk2 2.1x
    Canon 7D 1.3x

A lot of people compare 4/3 to full frame (5Dmk2), which is wrong because typically movies are not shot full frame. For video, you don't want to compare to full frame. For stills, full frame is okay to compare, but not for video. The 5D is the exception, not the rule. We're talking about video here, so you start with Super 35 as the standard, as it's been for years.

Try the Abel Cine FOV calculator: http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    It's not 1.86. Where is that coming from?

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Actually, I think it's worse. Two-point-two something. Perhaps you've got a math-guy type friend who can crunch the numbers. All the sensor size measurementa are at the B&H web site.

GH2 -- 17.3 x 13.0 mm
    5D mark 2 -- 36 x 24 mm

For a better answer we'd want the 16 by 9 viewing area factored in.

6. Collapse Details
    Well I think they just use the horizontal measurement. 36/17.3=2.081 so it's actually not as bad as 2.1. If you use the vertical measurement it's 1.85. Maybe that's where the 1.86 came from. Either way it's still wrong because for video and film you shouldn't compare to full frame. The 5D is the only full frame sensor camera, so like I said it's the exception not the rule. Use Super 35 film as the basis.

7. Collapse Details
    some people says GH2 crop factor is 2x
    some people says GH2 crop factor is 1.86x
    It's both when compared to full frame. 2x when compared to a 5D shooting stills and 1.8x when compared to a 5D shooting video. And, crop is slightly misleading, as the GH cams are the only large sensor cams that I'm aware of that don't crop the sensor, but use different areas of it to achieve a 16:9 image.
    Already been pointed out, but a more accurate comparison should be to S35, where the FOV difference is much smaller.
    Adrian

8. Collapse Details
    @mike
    Its 1.86.
    Gh2 uses a bigger than 4/3 sensor. When gh2 goes from 4x3 to 16x9, gh2 doesnt crop but uses differnt part of the sensor...

Its been explained a dozen times before. Check gh2's official webpage.

Gh2 has a wider fov than the af100 (which is closer to 2x)

9. Collapse Details
    Per the OP's question, i only answered it.If hes ff or s35 i really dont care. Now if were gonna argue about technical nonsense, id rather leave.Now, if 1.86 is accurate, i dont know. I know gh2 is wider than a regular 4/3. Id rather not do any math. Ask barry. Hes the guy to answer this question

10. Collapse Details
    You just said it's 1.86 and then in your next post you say you don't know? I'm confused. Regardless, whether it's 2.0, 2.1, or 1.86 when compared to the 5D, it doesn't matter because we shouldn't be comparing it to the 5D for video. The 5D is the exception, not the rule. Compare to S35 16x9 film, which would make it a 1.4x crop if it's a normal 4/3 sensor, or even less than 1.4x if it's actually larger than a regular 4/3 sensor. I wasn't aware the GH2 has a slightly larger sensor than a regular 4/3 sensor. Would be nice for clarification on the size of the GH2 and AF100 sensors when shooting 16x9 video so we can get an accurate crop factor when compared to S35 16x9 film.
    Last edited by Mike@AF; 12-31-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast