Thread: DOF Equivalent

1. Collapse Details
    DOF Equivalent
    Anybody know what kind of sensor equivalent a 1/3in camera and a Letus might get? The FOV matches full-frame with most of the adapters if you don't zoom in too far. What DOF characteristics would you compare a setup like that to? FOV is more 5D-like, but the DOF is what? Full-frame DOF typically with a 1/3in chip camera attached? More 7D like DOF?

Not sure how to calculate this or if it depends on the lens the camera itself is using, and the focal length it's placed at with the zoom point you choose, etc. No clue.

Anybody have any way to estimate?

2. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Hmmm. I'm not entirely sure, and I'll ask our engineers Tuesday but here's my shot at it from being an extensive 35mm adapter shooter.

Because all you're doing is filming a "projection" of a 35mm lens when using an adapter, and it has the equivalent FOV as a full frame 35mm (at least the M2e as that is what I've actually tested against my 5D) I would think that it would have equivalent DOF of a 5D.
    Loren Simons
    Senior Rig Technician
    Redrock Micro

(Account is Inactive as of 7/7/14)

3. Collapse Details
    Yea see that makes sense but for some reason I wondered if there was something going on beyond that because of the method at hand. Either way that's a good theory. I appreciate the time spent to answer.
    Last edited by KyleProhaska; 12-25-2011 at 10:53 AM.