1. Collapse Details
    Compressor Settings for DVD Studio Pro - DVD Best Quality or HD DVD: H.264?
    Hi guys, I have a question about some settings in compressor when authoring DVD's using DVD Studio Pro (4).

I have an HD movie that is 1920x1080, 25 minutes long. I know when you burn DVD's in DVD Studio Pro, you end up with SD (ugh) but I want to make sure I have the best damn looking SD you ever seen. Such a shame when dealing with red Epic footage.

Well, in the past, I always used the "DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes" folder in Compressor. I tested this on one of my special features videos. Wasn't happy with the result. Looked like crappy low resolution when I play in the simulator in DVDSP.

Then I notice this setting I never noticed before for some reason... "HD DVD: H.264 60 minutes". (or 90 minutes or HD DVD: MPEG-2 30 minutes)

I tried it. Wow. Big difference when playing in the simulator again. Looks like.. HD.

Can anyone explain the difference between these two compressor settings? Is this what I should be using, or is there some reason not to? I haven't burnt a disc to test on my TV yet.. will do that later today.

Thanks
    Alison Parker
    Director and Producer at HiJinx Entertainmentph: 604-345-3263 email:ferretnado@gmail.comIMDBhttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm4140331/

2. Collapse Details
    HD DVD won't work in a DVD player.

3. Collapse Details
    Why are people still using the templates? Just adjust your bit rate up. I would recommend 8.1 mbps VBR 2- Pass.

4. Collapse Details
    yeah, my bad. my dvd studio pro project was on 'hd dvd' without me realizing, so it didnt flag these hd compressions i did. when i tried to play the dvd it didnt work of course. had to restart from scratch, making sure SD was selected for dvd sp project. looks pretty crappy now (the menu). damn!
    Alison Parker
    Director and Producer at HiJinx Entertainmentph: 604-345-3263 email:ferretnado@gmail.comIMDBhttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm4140331/