Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roei z View Post
    have you seen the link i added in my previous post?
    Actually watching it.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drapeama View Post
    Yeah! Far superior to the threatrical cut. It's not the best of the series, but the extended edition adds some material that actually helps the story, it explains more why and how things. I can't stand the theatrical cut anymore. Previous movies were good in both edition, but this one must be viewed in the extended edition.
    Let me know when you'll have watched it!
    well after seeing first Alien and now the extended Alien 3,
    i was really disappointed with the third (seeing it again since first release). it's not really that well made, with the whole story not holding up, even with many nice character scenes. the whole action scenes were boring to my taste.

that's what made the first Alien so good (apart from a few lame Alien movements).
    it was perfect with the low docu style acting, OST, perfect set designs and photography.
    i don't wanna bother with the 2nd 'action flick', or 4th.

3. Collapse Details
    well after seeing first Alien and now the extended Alien 3, i was really disappointed with the third (seeing it again since first release). it's not really that well made, with the whole story not holding up, even with many nice character scenes. the whole action scenes were boring to my taste. that's what made the first Alien so good (apart from a few lame Alien movements). it was perfect with the low docu style acting, OST, perfect set designs and photography. i don't wanna bother with the 2nd 'action flick', or 4th.
    1) The story behind the third made me appreciate the movie even more. Fincher's directing debut has been almost catastrophic: he never had a finished screenplay to shoot the movie, he had many different views with executive from Fox...check the bonus on the BD Anthology/DVD Quadrilogy boxsets, really worth the watch.
    2) As I said about the story, it explains by itself: there was many re-writing of the scripts and scenes while they were shooting on the set, so it might explains that.
    3) About the action scenes, I first thought that CGI was maybe not enough advanced to be used in a movie and I found the VFX cheesy and not well done. Then when I watched the bonus (Optical Fury) they explains that it was a puppet animated in front of a bluescreen and they optically printed the final result, just like they did on Star Wars many years before.
    4) The first one was great because you weren't seeing the Alien so much, the suspense was even more powerful because of that.
    5) Technically, I think it shown the talent of Fincher but Fox executives has kind of "stopped" him in his creative process. He later proved his talent with other movies like Se7en.
    6) The second was good, different approach from a new director (at the time) and was well done, both technically and story-wise. It made sense to me though.
    7) The 4th is the 5th wheel of the ride here...I don't even know why they felt like it was needed to "resurrect" it after the third. I always thought as a trilogy it was ok.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

4. Collapse Details
    yea i'm aware of all the catastrophic events while producing the 3rd Alien,
    but still, i was trying to enjoy the movie.
    while i can appreciate Fincher's efforts and talent, still it was not really that good (except for some nice dialogs), extended or not.
    (Fincher is another subject and debate on his quality... ;) ).
    i REALLY hope the 5th film will be made with the right approach to deliver real quality and not
    another CGI bad written product of studio executives.

5. Collapse Details
    I REALLY hope the 5th film will be made with the right approach to deliver real quality and not another CGI bad written product of studio executives.
    1- Prometheus has Ridley Scott at the helm. ( he's got a pretty good track record, not perfect, but who does )
    2- Ridely is not "retreading" old Alien movie canon, so he is free to make something new and original ( a "dangerous" thing for todays Hollywood )
    3- Prometheus has a 250 million budget.

Alien 3 was doomed from the start because of Vincent Ward's original whacky "Monks in Space" script which morphed in to a prison planet by the time Fincher was brought in.

Based upon the Prometheus trailer, I am so stoked to see it this summer. ( along with Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" )
    Cameras : Panasonic GH4 with factory audio fix, GH3 with Grip
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8
    Nikon Primes : 24mm f/2.0, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/2.0, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4.0
    SpeedBoosters : Metabones Nikon G, Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    2- Ridely is not "retreading" old Alien movie canon, so he is free to make something new and original ( a "dangerous" thing for todays Hollywood )
    let's hope you're right. hope it won't get down to show Theron in underwear 'a-la' Weaver,
    and too many big CGI spaceship crashes.

7. Collapse Details
    yea i'm aware of all the catastrophic events while producing the 3rd Alien
    That's been enough for me to watch it again and see all the potential of the movie. While not being perfect, it's still a good movie, with good actors performances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    1- Prometheus has Ridley Scott at the helm. ( he's got a pretty good track record, not perfect, but who does )
    [..]
    Alien 3 was doomed from the start because of Vincent Ward's original whacky "Monks in Space" script which morphed in to a prison planet by the time Fincher was brought in.
    1) I second that, all his work isn't perfect, but he's been redefining the sci-fi in the early 80's with Blade Runner and Alien, both are classic now. I think he simply can't go wrong doing another one.
    2) So far, it's related to Alien, but not directly. There's elements from the original, but it only comes across in the story. It's not a prequel nor a sequel, but another movie in the same universe.
    3) Unfortunately, yeah. Renny Harlin worked on it for almost a whole year before he asked to leave because of the multiples script changes every day...after a year, the project wasn't going anywhere. Then Fincher got hired, and he left before the end of the shooting. I think Walter Hill finished the movie. Sad story.

let's hope you're right. hope it won't get down to show Theron in underwear 'a-la' Weaver,
    Theron in underwear would worth the ticket's price itself though!
    Let's hope for something great and see how it goes...

8. Collapse Details
    ...Oh, and by the way Prometheus is a musical! ;-)
    Cameras : Panasonic GH4 with factory audio fix, GH3 with Grip
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8
    Nikon Primes : 24mm f/2.0, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/2.0, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4.0
    SpeedBoosters : Metabones Nikon G, Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F

9. Collapse Details
    A TED talk from the year 2023.

I think the year is a mistake personally. No way in 11 years will we be close to having cybernetic organisms indistinguishable from humans. And we got fusion in the first decade of the 21st century? Missed that development. Also puts the year of the events of the film at 2073, which seems too soon for interstellar space travel. But I guess Ridley is always a little too optimistic with setting dates. The world of Blade Runner is supposedly a few years from now. Won't really matter if the film is great though, as it doesn't ruin Blade Runner. Still, you'd think sci-fi filmmakers would stay away from putting dates on things, especially ones so close to now. Other than that, Pearce is great, and it's a cool viral video.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

10. Collapse Details
    Saw the viral video the other day, and I'm really excited. I like things like this, where it's not using footage from the movie itself, so I don't feel like I'm having anything spoiled, but at the same time it gets me excited about the movie and adds to the mythology around the film's reality.

I agree, Pearce did a great job here - the man can hold a screen. Is it just me or does he sound kind of like Timothy Spall?
    "Trying to make a movie in Hollywood is like trying to grill a steak by having a succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it." - Douglas Adams

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast