Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Collapse Details
    Step Printing effect with DSLR
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    609
    Default
    I love the films of Wong Kar-Wai, especially Chungking Express and Fallen Angels. Obviously one of the most memorable aspects of these films is Kar-Wai's brilliant use of step printing.

    Now i've done a bit of researach and it seems that in order to get the effect you need to shoot at a framerate lower than 24fps, something around 6-8fps. However I have a DSLR and there's no option to shoot below 24fps.

    The question is, is there a way to get someting close to the step printing effect even if you shoot at 24fps? Or am I out of luck?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member Martti Ekstrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Deep, deep in PAL land.
    Posts
    1,634
    Default
    It depends on the DSLR model if it's possible - I've shot a whole short with a 1/2 s shutter speed with my Panasonic GH1, you find it in my sig link 'A Kindling Light'.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member Justin Kuhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,637
    Default
    the 7d shoots 8 stills a second...assembling the stills will be a tough workflow though, even if you only shoot using the smallest jpg setting.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member djkarn105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    604
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Kuhn View Post
    the 7d shoots 8 stills a second...assembling the stills will be a tough workflow though, even if you only shoot using the smallest jpg setting.
    The challenge with shooting stills would be controlling the framerate since in burst mode the camera will just shoot as fast as possible. The GH1 and GH2 do it, I think the AF100 and FS100 as well.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

    http://www.kevdwong.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member dvbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    939
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jghenderson View Post
    I love the films of Wong Kar-Wai, especially Chungking Express and Fallen Angels. Obviously one of the most memorable aspects of these films is Kar-Wai's brilliant use of step printing.

    Now i've done a bit of researach and it seems that in order to get the effect you need to shoot at a framerate lower than 24fps, something around 6-8fps. However I have a DSLR and there's no option to shoot below 24fps.

    The question is, is there a way to get someting close to the step printing effect even if you shoot at 24fps? Or am I out of luck?
    What DSLR do you have? When it comes to DLSRs, it's less about the frame rate and more about the shutter speed when it comes to replicating the Wong Kar-Wai step frame look. If you can set your shutter speed below 1/25th, to say 1/8 or 1/4, you will achieve it. The really cool thing is because the slower shutter speed is letting so much light hit the sensor, you can shoot in really low light at a respectable ISO. It looks amazing.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,978
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dvbrother View Post
    What DSLR do you have? When it comes to DLSRs, it's less about the frame rate and more about the shutter speed when it comes to replicating the Wong Kar-Wai step frame look. If you can set your shutter speed below 1/25th, to say 1/8 or 1/4, you will achieve it. The really cool thing is because the slower shutter speed is letting so much light hit the sensor, you can shoot in really low light at a respectable ISO. It looks amazing.
    If the effect.. I don't recall it at the moment... is in fact slow shutter speed at low frame rate... why not 'average' groups of frames that were shot at 24 fps? It may take a script in something like After Effects to do that...

    For example, averaging 2 frames at 24 fps, yields 12 fps and a 'quasi' shutterspeed of 1/24(25). and averaging 3 frames yields 8 fps, etc.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    609
    Default
    Unfortunately I have a T2i and it will only go down to a 1/30 shutter speed while filming.


    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •