Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Brevis and Canon
    Having minor issues I would like find some solutions to with my Cinevate Brevis in conjuction with Canon FD lenses:

The help is greatly appreciated.

1.) How do I go about cleaning (or replacing if need be) the ground glass on the Brevis? I haven't found someone who still sells replacement glass so how would I properly clean it in order to remove the specks/spots that are appearing in my images? This is probably my biggest concern...

2.) I'm getting some nasty edge blur at times with Canon FD lenses. Does this have something to do with the quality of the lens itself? If so, what would be the comparable alternative(s) to Canon FD glass? I'm unfortunately restricted to a budget at this time but I'm interested in Zeiss ZF glass, (although as I said, out of my price range) any advice?

Thanks in advanced.
    -B

2. Collapse Details
    This all I could find about cleaning it http://www.cinevate.com/images/manuals/cleaning.mov

As far as the vignetting is concerned how wide are the lenses you're using and are you zoomed all the way when filming?

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you sir, the video was very useful. I'm sure that will solve the speck problem.

In terms of wide lenses, I was using a 28mm. For this particular shoot I was using a Panasonic HPX170 and I was zoomed in to 76/100 which is obviously not zoomed in all the way but more than half way.

4. Collapse Details
    28mm is pretty wide but shouldn't be enough to cause vignetting, but I'd say not being zoomed in all the way whilst using the 28mm is probably the cause of the vignette.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawsDelejos View Post
    28mm is pretty wide but shouldn't be enough to cause vignetting, but I'd say not being zoomed in all the way whilst using the 28mm is probably the cause of the vignette.
    I see. The issue is if I were to zoom in all the way it would cause my image to be severely out of focus. The HPX only allows for me to use the Brevis in a singular fashion and if I don't have the right numbers in place (zoom 76 and manual focus at 6) my picture is no longer sharp...

6. Collapse Details
    You may be better off geting rid of the brevis and getting a spinner, their 100% better in terms of ...well... pretty much everything when it comes to dof adapters. I don't think he's talking about vignette, I think it's just a case of not getting edge to edge sharpness. This has been an issue with dof adapters and camcorders with a large sized lens. Again the redrock encore works well with your cam, as does the sgblade. Both are spinners.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    You may be better off geting rid of the brevis and getting a spinner, their 100% better in terms of ...well... pretty much everything when it comes to dof adapters. I don't think he's talking about vignette, I think it's just a case of not getting edge to edge sharpness. This has been an issue with dof adapters and camcorders with a large sized lens. Again the redrock encore works well with your cam, as does the sgblade. Both are spinners.
    Noted; thanks for the tip. I will look into it further... Just one more small question though. Would better quality lenses still suffer from edge blur or is it totally dependent on the quality of 35mm adapter? Are you saying no matter the lens, since the Brevis will not allow me too zoom in further, I'm stuck with this problem?

8. Collapse Details
    Well, Canon fd lenses are great, I use them exclusivly, The achromatic lens plays a big role in getting edge to edge sharpness, but the brevis was never a very good adapter to begin with, as your finding out. Your thread says canon, but you say your using an hpx170, I know the brevis needed the flip to work well with canon xha1, not sure about the 170 though, I never used one with an adapter, But if I recall it's front threads are larger than 72mm, which most achromts are 72mm, You may need to search around to see it there's a special way to mount it to the hpx. I have seen cases where there needed to be a longer spacer tube between the achromt and the adapter. If you do have access to a canon, try it on there and see how it performs.

9. Collapse Details
    The the good thing is that the HPX170 already has a 72mm thread so theres no need for a step up or step down ring. I did, however, use a simple uv filter as a spacer between the Brevis and the HPX (so if there was any cross-threading, it would damage the filter as opposed to the camera's thread). Not sure 100% sure if it affects the final image but I if does please elaborate.

I don't particularly like the fact that the flip module weighs as much as a brick so I like to leave it out of the rig completely. I'd rather flip the image on the LCD every time.

As you said, I'm finding that the Brevis might not have been the best choice. At the end of the day it's about producing the best image possible with what budget will allow and I'm sure I could have purchased a RedRock M2 Encore for around the same price (I paid $450 or so for the Brevis + Flip Module, etc. if I'm not mistaken).

As far as the achromat is concerned, I have one made from Cinevate and it performs as expected, although I assume getting a better achromat isn't going to resolve the issue alone, will it?

10. Collapse Details
    I had Brevis v2 with flip on the HVX200 and HPX170 and pretty sure I was over 76/100 zoom, more like 79-82. I did have a Canon FD 24mm and no issues ever.

Take out the UV filter for sure! Every mm counts here as you should be able to zoom into the screen of the brevis quite a lot and it still be sharp as a tac. If it is still not sharp, you will need to calibrate your unit. Go to Cinevates website and visit the video university. There, you can watch videos how to properly setup (lens collimation he called it?) your brevis if you are having focus issues.

As for the Brevis being the best choice on 35mm adapters I think it is as fine a choice as the others. I've been using adapters since 2003 and the PS Technik mini35 was my first, it cost over $10k and I was glad I was able to sell it before the boom of 35mm hits the market. In my later years of using 35mm adapters I liked the Brevis because it was cheap, performed very well in light loss, was well made, and seem to be flexible in terms of use for different cameras and getting different looks.

What I disliked was the time it took me to get everything all lined up and then being scared to take the camera off incase just the camera without adapter was needed for certain shots. The overall weight and length was ridiculous to me but I got use to it and never had to shoot in confined spaces anyway. In the end I did get tired of all the quirks and restrictions (like not being able to shoot at too high in shutter speeds) so I took the plunge and went for the Sony F3. Had I not been able to get that camera I'd probably be shooting on DSLR's which is probably the next best thing. Trying to light a scene indoors with an adapter could be torturous and expensive. Thankfully I had the HPX170 which was about 1 stop better than the HVX200 so it made the brevis combo usable in lower light conditions.

Anyway, keep shooting and remember there will always be issues to deal with when film making..
    Dennis Hingsberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast