Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HPX250 can't connect to my Mac via Firewire
    For years with my HVX200 I would connect via Firewire to my Mac to ingest footage or copy the contents of a P2 card to my hard drive. I figured I could do the same with my HPX250. When I plug in a firewire and switch to that mode, it flashes USB Device on my LCD on the HPX250. After a few seconds it says USB Device Disconnect. So I know it's looking to connect only through the USB port (which I can successfully connect). Of course, I want the firewire speed though. But I can't find a setting to make it switch to firewire. In the System Setup menu there are 2 choices listed for USB and both are non-selectable (blued out). I called Panasonic tech today and their level 1 tech couldn't figure it out. They escalated it but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone having luck connecting to a PC or Mac via firewire? If so, how did you do it?

Paul Kakert
    www.edpvideo.com
    Paul Kakert
    EDPvideo.com
    www.youtube.com/edpvideo

2. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    IEEE 1394 is not supported for file transfers, you must use a USB cable.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for confirmation. That is completely insane. USB for file transfer on a new model, when the previous model used Firewire? Rediculous. Guess they want people to buy their insanely priced P2 card readers.
    Paul Kakert
    EDPvideo.com
    www.youtube.com/edpvideo

4. Collapse Details
    I have to disagree with you. Given that firewire carries power that can blow either your cam or Mac port or both, why even use firewire? Plenty of reports here, and hardly worth the risk.

We have had a 200 and have a 170 and a 250. We always use USB2, which surprisingly is just as fast as firewire in our tests.

We bought an "insanely priced" p2 card reader for $175.00 used and it works perfectly.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    I'll have to test to see the speed in transferring the contents of a 64gb card via USB versus Firewire (from the HVX200). I haven't heard of firewire blowing any ports before. That's a new one to me. I've had 5 years of firewire transfer on an HVX200 with no issues.

As for the reader, I obviously was not referring to that single slot solution Panasonic offers. I was referring to the new 3 slot P2 card reader for $2,200 (or the previous 5 card readers they sold for similar costs that were USB 2 or Firewire). The new reader offers ightning fast transfers using USB 3, but at a premium cost. That USB 2 reader Panasonic sells is worthless (to me) if you're looking to improve speed of transfer. Maybe it's ok for an 8 or 16 GB card, but if you're offloading two 64gb P2's, then it's a dog. Plus it's only one card at a time. It's not a solution for heavy volume.
    Paul Kakert
    EDPvideo.com
    www.youtube.com/edpvideo

6. Collapse Details
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/193/866953

There are many other examples.

You will not see an appreciable gain using firewire over USB2. Also, if you are on a new Mac, you will need a six pin to eight pin FW cable, and most are unreliable.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks. That issue with the HVX200 firewire port is a problem with their consumer grade port, and I experienced it. I used a Firestore for a while and my firewire port also crapped out. Panasonic replaced it. They used that consumer/smaller pin connection that was very unreliable. I don't believe it was a problem based on the Firewire format, just how they implemented it. Notice that the HPX250 went to the larger firewire port. It's all a mute point anyway. With Firewire 800 and USB 3.0 both available, it's mindboggling that Panasonic stayed with 2 outdated formats (USB 2 and firewire 400). Universally accepted, yes. Up to modern professional transfer speed/capability, no.
    Paul Kakert
    EDPvideo.com
    www.youtube.com/edpvideo

8. Collapse Details
    I guess we have different approaches to this. We don't use a $6k camera as a card reader for offloading p2 cards.

When we shoot, we offload a 64 GB card with a single card reader while continuing to shoot with two 32 GB cards. Or we do it at our studio.

I don't know any professional camera in this price range that includes USB3 and/or FW800 for transfers. So it doesn't boggle our mind at all.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

9. Collapse Details
    You're right. We're getting carried away. I use the camera much differently, as my situation dictates. Fact is, the camera does offload, or act as a reader. So why not use a faster protocol? That was my point. If you're going to build a camera with a documented feature to offload footage to a computer, why make the decision to use a slower format like USB 2. That's all. Guess it's just on my wishlist to have a faster option. I can't be the only one in a situation (albeit different than yours) where it makes sense to transfer using the camera. Many times there is no "we", just me, starring at a days worth of footage late at night in a hotel with a need to quickly offload it in the fastest way possible so I can get to sleep and start all over again the next day. No trips back to the studio, no assistant to download as I continue to shoot. There are many production environments. I wish I could afford a $2,200 reader that uses USB 3, or even the $2,200 5 slot reader that uses Firewire 800, but I'd much rather use my camera that can read 2 cards for no extra investment. it's not as if downloading from the camera hurts it - no moving parts getting worn out like with tape. Oh well. That's all I've got. Thanks for the deviation from the work day
    Paul Kakert
    EDPvideo.com
    www.youtube.com/edpvideo

10. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Firewire seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird, even Apple doesn't include it on every model they make anymore. It was never meant to be hot-plugged anyway, and Apple is pushing Thunderbolt more and more. In the meantime USB 2.0 (or a compatible implementation) is on every computer that's come out in the last ten years, and will continue to be there for years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast