Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    500$ Tripod suggestions for 60d
    hi i need some help buying a tripod, i am on a budget of 500$ for the tripod and the head. i was looking forward to buy the manfrotto 501 hdv pro head + 028b studio pro tripod kit.
    its around 460$.
    i will be using it with the 60d, and so far the biggest lens i have is the 24-105mm f.4 L is, i will use it for stills too with my 5dmkI.
    thanks in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    Look into the Sachtler Ace - if it's not available yet it should be soon. Early reviews have been extremely positive and it may become "the" lightweight tripod choice. A Sachtler for well under a grand sounds pretty cool. And my understanding is, the head takes Manfrotto plates, so you can have a killer system of mounting options with affordable plates. Manfrotto makes a QR receiver that you can mount to all sorts of rigs for special shots - and there's a company making a carbon fiber versions for about $30.

3. Collapse Details
    thanks michal carter , i checked it on their website and it will be available in december . what about the tripod legs???winch ones you suggest? and the choice i going for is a bad one?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by krizard View Post
    hi i need some help buying a tripod, i am on a budget of 500$ for the tripod and the head. i was looking forward to buy the manfrotto 501 hdv pro head + 028b studio pro tripod kit.
    its around 460$.
    i will be using it with the 60d, and so far the biggest lens i have is the 24-105mm f.4 L is, i will use it for stills too with my 5dmkI.
    thanks in advance.
    I have this same setup with my 60d and really like it.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm finally buying a tripod next week; it will be a manfrotto, with the following bits:
    * 501HDV fluid head
    * 055xprob legs
    * 555b column with 50mm bowl
    * 055XCCSB short center column

I'll use the 555b column most of the time (the bowl head is very important for quick setup), the standard column when I need some extra height, and the short column when I need to get as close to the ground as possible

I know in the future I may want to get video-oriented legs (546 or similar), but even then I'll need a more lightweight option too, so I decided it's best to start with the good-but-relatively-lightweight 055

I think the sachtler ACE will have an incredibly smooth head, but the legs that come with it will be a dissappointment: if you watch the (very positive) video review by Philip Bloom, you can see the legs behaving in a very unstable manner and him having to put his hand on them to keep them steady (he doesn't comment on that issue, other than saying the feet are not great; I've seen similar complaints on other reviews, so maybe it's just the feet; but it definitely seems like a big problem)
    http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/09/ace/
    (on the other hand: on the comments there he says he prefers the ACE to the manfrotto 504+546: "i don’t like the Manfrotto. Too heavy and don’t like the head. i have one" - and then, on la later comment: "no the 501 head is AWFUL!!!")
    (then, on those same comments, there's someone complaining he just got an ACE and it shows some kickback movement after panning)
    (the fact that the ACE will probably not be available here in Spain except at outrageous prices makes my decision a lot easier)

edit: the ACE is already listed on bhphoto, at $535 and with arrival date in january:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
    total weight is very similar to 055+501 (4.4Kg vs 4.0Kg)
    Last edited by Samuel H; 11-13-2011 at 03:23 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    i wouldnt get anything with a center column. look for something with a bowl. MUCH easier and FASTER to accurately level.

7. Collapse Details
    as I said, the 555b center column has a 50mm bowl (it turns the 055 into something very similar to a 755)
    I know a 75mm or 100mm bowl would be better, but I think I can live with a 50mm for a DSLR

8. Collapse Details
    I'd stay away from that setup to be honest. The legs you're showing are awesome, for stills (my dad has them), but for video... Not so much. He has a 501 too, which after getting my real fluid head (a vintage Sachtler 3+3, 100mm bowl) I have to say that the difference is huge. The Manfrotto is hard to get smooth pans out of and very overpriced (you can get a real fluid head at that price).
    You could check out the Sachtler ACE, but I'd also put down some on... E-Image! Yeah, I actually have a set of their legs to my Sachtler and they are fantastic! I'm surprised by them to be honest, very sturdy and well built.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanBates View Post
    I'm finally buying a tripod next week; it will be a manfrotto, with the following bits:
    * 501HDV fluid head
    * 055xprob legs
    * 555b column with 50mm bowl
    * 055XCCSB short center column

I'll use the 555b column most of the time (the bowl head is very important for quick setup), the standard column when I need some extra height, and the short column when I need to get as close to the ground as possible

I know in the future I may want to get video-oriented legs (546 or similar), but even then I'll need a more lightweight option too, so I decided it's best to start with the good-but-relatively-lightweight 055

I think the sachtler ACE will have an incredibly smooth head, but the legs that come with it will be a dissappointment: if you watch the (very positive) video review by Philip Bloom, you can see the legs behaving in a very unstable manner and him having to put his hand on them to keep them steady (he doesn't comment on that issue, other than saying the feet are not great; I've seen similar complaints on other reviews, so maybe it's just the feet; but it definitely seems like a big problem)
    http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/09/ace/
    (on the other hand: on the comments there he says he prefers the ACE to the manfrotto 504+546: "i don’t like the Manfrotto. Too heavy and don’t like the head. i have one" - and then, on la later comment: "no the 501 head is AWFUL!!!")
    (then, on those same comments, there's someone complaining he just got an ACE and it shows some kickback movement after panning)
    (the fact that the ACE will probably not be available here in Spain except at outrageous prices makes my decision a lot easier)

edit: the ACE is already listed on bhphoto, at $535 and with arrival date in january:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
    total weight is very similar to 055+501 (4.4Kg vs 4.0Kg)
    this is the first tripod I'm buying so I'm a noob in dslr video, so i would like to know what are the 555b column with 50mm bowl and 055XCCSB short center column ,and what do i need them for?its a quick release system?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabel View Post
    I'd stay away from that setup to be honest. The legs you're showing are awesome, for stills (my dad has them), but for video... Not so much. He has a 501 too, which after getting my real fluid head (a vintage Sachtler 3+3, 100mm bowl) I have to say that the difference is huge. The Manfrotto is hard to get smooth pans out of and very overpriced (you can get a real fluid head at that price).
    You could check out the Sachtler ACE, but I'd also put down some on... E-Image! Yeah, I actually have a set of their legs to my Sachtler and they are fantastic! I'm surprised by them to be honest, very sturdy and well built.
    thanks for the help , but the ACE would not be an option right now, cause its only out in december i think, and whats wrong withs those legs for video???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast