Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's the best On-camera Mic for the HPX250
    Hi,
    What's the best onboard mic for an HPX 250?

I'll be shooting a documentary film, following a team of players indoors and outdoors.
    I was thinking Rode NTG3?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!"
    "Fool, we have HMIs!"

2. Collapse Details
    I'm using the Rode NTG2. Verry happy with it. Sennheiser still has the name.

3. Collapse Details
    My client is trying to sell the product to Fox Sports. Will that NTG2 suffice or do I get indoor and outdoor mics?
    He's got money and it's his dime. We'll be getting two lavalier mics and I just need an onboard shotgun.
    Cheers.
    "Fool, we have HMIs!"

4. Collapse Details
    I need a short "ShotGun" that works well indoors and outdoors.

NTG-2 might take the job.
    Last edited by David Saraceno; 11-11-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Changed Header
    "Fool, we have HMIs!"

5. Collapse Details
    The Rode NTG2 is the same as the NTG1 but the NTG2 has an internal battery compartment and is a little dearer/longer and heavier. The HPX250 supports 48v phantom power so a NTG1 would be the better of the two
    Some shotguns can sound a little artificial when used indoors but the NTG1 works fine inside and out, i have one and is has very low noise and good directional pickup and rejection to side sounds. My main love is the warmth
    of the recorded sound.

6. Collapse Details
    The NTG2 works both ways: 48v phantom (without battery) or you can put a battery in it to power it and use it with a wireless plugin.

7. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    I use an Audio Technica 835ST shotgun mike. I'm not a fan of mono shotguns, and the 835ST is a stereo shotgun with a configurable (wide vs. narrow) pickup pattern with very good isolation to limit unwanted input. I think it would be a very good choice for outdoor sports.

8. Collapse Details
    THoff, interesting... this producer is going for something like Hoop Dreams though. It's not just the sporting activity. So I'll be going into the kids' homes, watch them make and eat dinner. Walk to school, funerals, christening, practice, etc. I'm really concerned about using either the best indoor and the best outdoor or just one optimal shotgun mic.
    "Fool, we have HMIs!"

9. Collapse Details
    You're going to hear a lot of audio people wagging their fingers and saying to get the mic off the camera and closer to the subject.
    If you're doing run&gun, that would require a separate sound person with a boom pole.
    For sit-down interviews, you can put the mic on a stand, just out of frame (and/or lav mics).
    Then there are different mics recommended for indoors and out.
    Hypercardiod for indoors and shotguns for outdoors.

10. Collapse Details
    Danny, we're planning to have at least two lavs - dedicated lav on the coach and the featured "scene star" but I also recommended having a shot gun on the camera itself.
    I've never shot with a shotgun on my camera, always lav and or boom, but in this instance I think the Producer wants to limit the crew to just me as I'll be traveling with
    the team. So really, unless he provides an assistant already on staff, a sound Op would be either an intrusion or an additional expense. Dunno, I just need to get some good
    sound for this guy. It's a huge project for me and for him. Good indoor sound and good outdoor.
    "Fool, we have HMIs!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast