Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Most portable 10bit recorder???
    Well I'm taking the plunge on the Slog upgrade and after reading up on the many various discussions about trying to record Slog to SxS cards (and reasons not to do it) I have decided to get an external recorder. I don't need it to have a screen or do anything mega fancy. I literally want something that is portable and will record 422 10 bit. Most of the units I have seen so far add a fair bit of bulk and as I'm going to be doing a hayyyuge amount of handheld work on this docco project, I am hoping to minimize bulk as much as possible.

Anyone found a magic bullet?

Many thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Samurai seems to be cheap and small.....

3. Collapse Details
    I own the Ki Pro Mini and the HyperDeck Shuttle.
    I love the HyperDeck: it can record uncompressed material , light, affordable and fast.
    The Samurai, for sure, is the smaller one.

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member CinemaElectronika's Avatar
    To users of the AJA KiPro Mini...

Any comments or suggestions to those thinking to buy it?

Still evaluating purchase decisions off the new options...

Thank you all in advance.
    Henry Epstein / CinemaElectronika
    Sony PMW-F3L RGB444 / Sony NEX-FS700 / Panasonic AG-HPX370 / Panasonic AG-HVX200A / Nikon D800 / Canon 7D / Zeiss ZF Primes / Nikon ED Zooms

5. Collapse Details
    For tankbullock:
    You can obtain the exact dimensions of the Ki Pro Mini from this location on the AJA website:
    http://www.aja.com/media_folder_web/...Dimensions.pdf

The weight of the Ki Pro Mini is 1.262 lbs (0.572 kg) (This information is found in the product manual, also available from the AJA website).

You can find a review of the Ki Pro Mini at the following link where it makes a good case for the unit's compact size and low weight:
    http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ews/13255.html

Hope this information is helpful,
    Jon Thorn
    Senior Product Manager
    AJA Video Systems, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    I would say the Aja mini. I have one, and have it on rails, with the Abel/element technic base plate. And it is a perfect solution together. Adds rear weight for balance and rides on the shoulder great. All others are just another box that you have to rig somewhere on top of camera. For hand held its a good match.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks very much for the responses. Yeah the Pro Mini looks great and the Samurai does too, though that doesn't appear to be out yet in the UK.

It's going to be between these two me thinks, though my friend did also mention a blackmagic product that is suposedly very portable. He's sending me a link to it, so I'll check that out too. I cannot wait to see some Slog footage!!!!

8. Collapse Details
    I believe that the Blackmagic product your friend told you about, it's the same that Filippo is telling you about on his response. The hyperdeck shuttle.

There you go: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...erdeckshuttle/

9. Collapse Details
    also guys lets not forget power consumption which is as important as size and weight when you're in the field and only have a certain number of batteries. The AJA Ki Pro Mini is excellent in this. I would love to hear what the power usage is on the Samurai since does it have a production monitor as well?
    _____
    www.kittyguerrilla.com
    Ed David
    Cinematographer.
    NYC
    Sony F35, Red One, F3, SRII

10. Collapse Details
    You must have an exceptional KiPro mini... mine is terrible for power consumption and regularly cuts out before the F3 was signalling 50% on the 88Wh Li-ion IDX batteries.

PMW-F3 = 24W
    KiPro Mini = 18W
    Atomos Samurai = 6.8W

No Contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast