Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    T4i- affordable Digic 5 DSLR?
    If it stands to reason that the rebel line is updated annually around Feb-April (t1i, t2i, t3i, etc), should we expect to see a T4i announced in the next few months?
    Bigger question is, if they are starting to roll out the new Digic V chip in cameras (point and shoot already has them, and of course new DSLRs like the 1Dx), could a T4i be the first affordable canon DSLR for video without moire?

I know a lot of people have mentioned a 7DmII or a new 5D should be announced soon with the Digic V, but since the 1Dx already broke the ice, would they really go back to the Digic 4 if a new rebel is released?

Just thinking out loud here.

2. Collapse Details
    yes, I'd expect the T4i to be announced in 2012Q1, and yes, it should sport a Digic V processor; but I'm afraid Canon may think 422 codecs are for >$5000 products and only include 4:2:0 H.264 at 24Mbps; and I think getting rid of moire requires a faster sensor, not just a faster processor, and T4i could have the same 18Mpix chip from T2i-T3i-60D-7D, with just updated Digic capabilities, so, better encoding (smaller files for same image quality) but still the same old aliasing/moire; if it uses subsampling instead of line skipping, it should have greatly reduced aliasing/moire, and clean ISO 3200 in video (because of noise averaging), which would make it a killer camera at $800 even with 4:2:0 H.264 at 24Mbps; we'll see...

3. Collapse Details
    I would say with Canon you never know. They used a divic 3 on their best camera to date the new c300. Of course we know the reason behind it. it would seem logical they would, but who knows.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    if i'm not mistaken, 1dx will be released at the end of Q1 2012, and it will have dual digic 5 and a digic 4.

5d is an in between relaese, i don't think they would release there flagship camera with a 5d.

so it could be a year or two before another 5d comes up. and having the same processor does not mean it will have the same capabilities, even in video mode.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanBates View Post
    ...and I think getting rid of moire requires a faster sensor, not just a faster processor...
    Sensor speed is not an issue. Sampling the sensor can be as fast as current can move across the chip. a1ex suggested that if the APS-C cams had a bigger buffer we could get 150 mbit/sec out of them. It's all in the ability to process the data that can be aquired from the chip. It's one of the reasons the GH2 is so good. It has three processors.

Cheers,
    Pete

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    I would say with Canon you never know. They used a divic 3 on their best camera to date the new c300. Of course we know the reason behind it. it would seem logical they would, but who knows.
    There is a difference between a Digic 3 and a Digic DV 3 which is in the new c300.
    Stuart Hooper

7. Collapse Details
    BTW- the Xt to the XTi to the XSi were all two years apart, its only in recent years they switched to yearly.

It would make more sense for the processor to appear in a 5d mark 3 or a 7d mark 2 before the rebel, but you never know! Companies do strange things sometimes.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellar42 View Post
    There is a difference between a Digic 3 and a Digic DV 3 which is in the new c300.
    Thanks I wasn't aware of that. I thought they were all digic divic processors.

9. Collapse Details
    the digic 5 is already being sold in the SX40 and the S100 - but yes it would make more sense to see the new SENSOR in a 7D2, and in the meantime have the T4i use the same old 18mpix sensor, but with a digic 5 processor (or, as as J Davis said, just delay the T4i, and move to a slower cycle such as the 18-month one from the old era or at Nikon) - also, the 1DX uses dual digic 5+ for processing, and I'm not sure how digic 5+ differs from digic 5 (my guess is that it's just a frequency issue: the chips that can run fastest are picked to work in the most expensive camera)

10. Collapse Details
    From memory - I think the swivel LCD first appeared on the t3i before the 60d. ITs not much of a correlation but it also shows that features can appear on lesser models before more advanced models
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast