1. Collapse Details
    Canon C300 Day Light Exterior Footage.
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    I have watched all of the posted footage from the C300 and It does look good. Now, I actually have some concerns about its low light capabilities, compared to similarly posted footage from current cameras. I have notice in some of the films, there was a considerable bit of noise. I am not going to really question that until some folks get a hold of production models and test them in controlled conditions. My big question though is about the daylight exterior footage from the posted films. It looks GREAT, IMHO and looks better than a lot of day light exterior footage similarly posted from comparable cameras. To me, shooting day light exteriors has been the sore point for digital video, including the large sensor HD cameras. To me it has, in too many instances, taken on a very "Video" look. The posted footage from the Canon does not do that. Why do you think that the daylight exterior footage from the Canon C300 looks so good?
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

2. Collapse Details
    Because it's a great sensor with very good RGB color filters on its bayer sensor, great dynamic range, zero aliasing, crisp as hell 1080p, oversampled green channel, 14-bit processing, recording to log? 8-bit MPEG-2 is not as big of a disadvantage as people think if you feed it with awesomeness to start with

BTW I suspect if Sony got a bunch of guys to shoot S-log films on the F3, got them graded right and showed them off, we might think the same thing?

The F3's sensor is perhaps not quite as good though - it doesn't resolve full 1080p without aliasing - eg Barry's brick wall color moire test. BTW Talking of that test... what exactly is the advantage of the 4:4:4 output on the F3 if its sensor can't resolve 4:4:4 color detail anyway?

Uh, anyway my 2c opinion answer to your post is in paragraph #1 - the sensor seems to be great.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

3. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Yeah, I am really wondering what the DR on the camera works out to. I had always thought that DR was the real secret to good digital daylight exteriors, but like you said, it is probably really is a combo of the sensors capabilities. The stuff that has been posted from the C300, especially the ending of the "XXIT" short is "F"ing amazing.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.