Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Someone tell me about skew
    I'm seriously considering the 7D as my move up from the DVX; I'm loosing clients because I am unable to shoot HD, but I dont have the budget for having two dedicated cameras (still and motion), let alone a Scarlet.

My biggest issue is that I shoot a lot of action sports (skiing and mountain biking mostly), and one of my things is fast pans following the skier/rider from the side, which seems like its just asking for skew/wobble. I've been looking at some samples of the 7D, and its pretty noticeable. Then again, those are videos shot specifically to show skew (handheld, a lot of vertical lines, high contrast etc etc).

My question is this; am I being paranoid about skew/wobbling?

I'd love to hear from anyone whos been in the relatively same situation, and if anyone has any skiing (or snowboarding) or mountain biking footage I'd like to see it.

Thanks for any insight!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    one is french and its different for that reason.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You should probably look into buying an HMC-40. Excellent Resolution + camera that works perfect in bright areas such as skiing /snowing. Also just for trick shots you can buy a go pro and mount it to your helmet for some really cool shots.

Finally if you can't afford a $1500 camera than your not really losing clients, because you don't have any.....

3. Collapse Details
    Check out 2:53 onward.

4. Collapse Details
    the jello-vision thing is definitely a probability if you expect to use your dslr the same way you use your dvx
    if i were going to move to an HD cam from a dvx. and didnt want to have to rethink the way i shoot. id look into an hpx170. its still a CCD camera, so all of the rolling shutter cmos stuff is no worry. but the P2 price can be prohibitive for some. so maybe an hmc150?
    Last edited by wgzn; 11-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the input guys!
    The Zacuto test was pretty extreme, but really helpful.

wgzn, the 170 is one of the others I'm considering an option. Just not totally psyched about another fixed lens camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    one is french and its different for that reason.

6. Collapse Details
    You are being paranoid. I haven't had issues with rolling shutter ONCE, and much of this camera's use is half-assed filming (ie shakey). Reference the following:

7. Collapse Details
    personally I believe the 7d can do it...it takes some discipline but it can be done. I shoot action with it all the time (with a very capable shoulder rig). However for a cheaper alternative why not a t2i or 600d ? Heck if i were you i'd really try to get an hmc40 AND a t2i. best of both worlds, plus they share the same media. Maybe you can pick up a used hmc40 to help things out. You can get that combo (used) for the total of about $2000 i'm sure. you may however have to wait a while to add some lenses to that t2i (maybe a nifty fifty to keep costs down). Depending on your budget the hmc10 is an excellent choice...but you wan interchangeable lenses...so hmc40 and t2i seems the best fit.

8. Collapse Details
    You are being paranoid. I haven't had issues with rolling shutter ONCE, and much of this camera's use is half-assed filming (ie shakey). Reference the following:
    the clip presented isnt a good example of lack of a "skew" issue. the camera doesnt do a lot of fast panning in this footage. and the wide angle lens masks a good bit of what may have been there otherwise. now the GOOD point in this clip is that the OP may also be frequently using the same kind of wide angle. so depending on how you plan to shoot. it may minimize the variable.

However for a cheaper alternative why not a t2i or 600d
    the OPs question is about COMOS / rolling shutter skew. BOTH of these cameras are as likely (or more) to show it as any other.
    about the ONLY way to avoid skew issue entirely is use a CCD / global shutter camera.

9. Collapse Details
    The skew/jello can be pretty bad on the 7D the more telephoto your lens. I own a 7D and have worked around it for a long time. If you can swing it, I'd say save up for the AF100 or FS100. Both of these have a sensor that reads twice as fast as the 7D practically (a little less) so it's a lot more forgiving in fast pans or shakes of the camera.

In fact, you can test any of the 60D, t2i, t3i which have the same read/reset as the 7D probably at a local store to see just how much it will be. If I had to track fast motion with a tighter lens, the 7D would be the last camera I would use.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wgzn View Post
    the clip presented isnt a good example of lack of a "skew" issue. the camera doesnt do a lot of fast panning in this footage. and the wide angle lens masks a good bit of what may have been there otherwise. now the GOOD point in this clip is that the OP may also be frequently using the same kind of wide angle. so depending on how you plan to shoot. it may minimize the variable.
    How is that not fast panning? The camera had to pan pretty quickly to keep the skiers in frame. Besides, in my experience there will never be a situation where you'll have to pan any faster than in that clip. Sure the wide angle masks it a bit, but shooting skiing is largely split between UWA and telephoto. In the latter case, a good set of sticks will eliminate any rolling shutter artifacts.

Will a CCD be less prone? Definitely. But I firmly believe people are paranoid about rolling shutter. A smooth hand and solid stabilization will virtually eliminate it.

To further prove my point, watch the shot at 1:46. I was literally a foot and a half away from the skier, who was moving approx. 40mph into the jump. While some invisible amount of skew may be present just knowing it was filmed with a CMOS sensor, for all intents and purposes there is none.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast