Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HVX200 Mic picking up camera hum noise.
    Hey everyone. I had a stereo mic I and thought the humm was just from the mic. Then today I picked an new Senn M66 Shotgun today and noticed the humm is still there, stretch the mic around the camera and there the humm is coming from around the lens. Anyone notice this or have the same issues? Resolution?
    "When my HVX grows up it wants to be a VariCam."

2. Collapse Details
    hmm...it sound like a problem coming from the camera xlr inputs

3. Collapse Details
    the mic's strongest amount of noise was from the front of the camera. If it is the XLR. Why do you think I'm getting this humm all of a sudden?

4. Collapse Details
    Mounting the mic on the camera always runs you the risk of picking up camera noise. Should be off the camera and close to your subject.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

5. Collapse Details
    David, totally understand that. Just curious if it's common to to everyone with the hvx200. I got the Boom to get off the camera, but sometimes you just get stuff with it on would love to counter this or perhaps if it's a real issue to send it off to speccomm

6. Collapse Details
    is it possible you have channel 2 volume up when you're using just channel 1 or you have the camera mic still on when using the shotgun ? i have an AT shotgun and never have heard camera hum.

7. Collapse Details
    Are you recording to tape or P2? On occasion I've noticed on our Sony VX cameras that the drum gets noisier over time and will get picked up by the mic.

8. Collapse Details
    Are you talking about continuous hum from electronics, or a mechanical hum from servos/motors?

9. Collapse Details
    It is normal. When I had my HVX, I got that too. Do what David Suggested, that is how you get away from that. On board camera mics are about as useless as mammary glands on a bull. Except for a scratch track. And the HVX isn't the quietest camera in the world.

Especially when it "clunks"..........LOL.

10. Collapse Details
    For on-board run-and-gun needs, you simply *must* use a shockmount, and the best setup is to get one that locks into the cold shoe. Even so, you will still pick up servo noise if you use the top zoom rocker. I feed the XLR cable through the supplied mic holder to keep it from touching the camera and so I don't bump it reaching for controls. A decent, lightweight shock mount (which suspends the mic with rubber bands) runs about $40 from B&H for the ME66, prob more for your stereo mic.

Also keep track of –– and be sure to use -- the XLR input caps. I always use input 2 for the shotgun; if you need to, you can switch both channels to record from the mic at different gain levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast