Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Ok professional satan. AHHHHH!!!! Attack of the music loop!!! What happened to the girls wings? and why did I hear water gurgling? and why did I see the killer dude pull his hood on after grabbing the girl? Questions, questions, question. Overall a cute short.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

2. Collapse Details
    Took over a minute for anything to happen. Guy's costume was too lame even to be intentionally lame. Music annoyed me so much, arg. Then the ominous music comes in when the guy who's there, not there approaches. It was very cliche. Working with child actors is hard because if they are not trained, it's more of reciting their lines than coming off organic.

Why would the girl sit back in the woods when her friends got up and went on the path. Kids stick in packs, that was not plausible.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Charli View Post
    Took over a minute for anything to happen. Guy's costume was too lame even to be intentionally lame. Music annoyed me so much, arg. Then the ominous music comes in when the guy who's there, not there approaches. It was very cliche. Working with child actors is hard because if they are not trained, it's more of reciting their lines than coming off organic.

Why would the girl sit back in the woods when her friends got up and went on the path. Kids stick in packs, that was not plausible.
    Thanks for watching and commenting. I appreciate the criticism.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    Ok professional satan. AHHHHH!!!! Attack of the music loop!!! What happened to the girls wings? and why did I hear water gurgling? and why did I see the killer dude pull his hood on after grabbing the girl? Questions, questions, question. Overall a cute short.
    Quickly. I liked the looping music. She took them off before she sat down on the swing. It was raining during the shoot, we tried to cover it up as much as possible, and decided to leave it in during ADR. The face wasn't planned, but it was left in during editing... again, personally I thought it was cool. Thanks for watching and commenting.

5. Collapse Details
    You out did your trailer. What camera did you use? What settings? So little grain and for being night, just terrific. The shot with the swing was nice with the moon when girl got up and could almost see how crazy happy you were about it, but in my opinion you held it to long in the edit room, less is more.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Billion Seconds View Post
    You out did your trailer. What camera did you use? What settings? So little grain and for being night, just terrific. The shot with the swing was nice with the moon when girl got up and could almost see how crazy happy you were about it, but in my opinion you held it to long in the edit room, less is more.
    We used a Canon 5DmkII with Cinestyle. The light in the back is actually from a building near the park. We used 2 portable work lights from a hardware store. I held onto that shot to give the illusion of time since they had to walk across the park, but thanks for noticing. And also, thanks for watching and commenting. All of this advice is great!

7. Collapse Details
    Never thought of it that way, something to add into my film base of knowledge, thanks.
    Possible to share your shutter and iso settings.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Billion Seconds View Post
    Never thought of it that way, something to add into my film base of knowledge, thanks.
    Possible to share your shutter and iso settings.
    f/2.8, 1/50 s, ISO 1000, 24-70@63mm

9. Collapse Details
    Quick reviews.

Favourite shot was the girl backing into the woods when it was her turn and she realised something was up because the person disappeared and then I got my payoff. That small element was a real positive. Work from there and build your stories.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

10. Collapse Details
    Yep your concept and setup was actually quite promising - the other technical aspects were lacking - but quite excusable if you give me a good story and a good fright!

I think in a way the story though got caught up in the technicals (i'd rather have rough audio than comical ADR) and the awkward editing (cut the starts and ends of those takes a little tighter - like our serial killer at the end taking down his hood, going to house of pancakes, getting his order, then phoning his mom, cos he dropped his pancake etc... we saw all of that - ALL OF IT!

The actors were a bit wooden but they also kinda looked okay, i mean so much of this would have been 'workable' if the pace and edit was tighter, and perhaps with a more sophisticated suspense building sound design.

A lot of this is really just practice at filmmaking, craftsmanship (both in ceinmatography and editing) however, if you can keep developing cute setups like that, you'll have a great base to learn from!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123