Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hey you made it in despite the challenges, so good on you. You still shipped and that's awesome. It's all a learning experience and its good that you're still passionate about it to want to keep doing it. Looking forward to seeing what your final product looks like.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Oh come on guys, you're killing me here: no poster?

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

4. Collapse Details
    SPOILER REVIEW: Don't read further if you haven't seen the short

I need to preface this by saying that I don't think I fully understand the short. With that, my review might be a little biased on that side.

The good: The sound throughout was good (though I raised my volume just as that girl screamed). I like the studying in the library as well, though I think it could have been cut down just a little. The lighting on the characters was good as well.

The not as good: I ... didn't get it. Sorry man. I feel like there was a large part missing. The little girl seemed to be standing in the same spot the dad hit something with a baseball bat.

I feel like I can't really give a full review without knowing more, so I will leave this one at that.

5. Collapse Details
    Alright so I too did not really understand the story but despite that there are still some things I liked and disliked that I think can be shared.

What I liked - Some of your shots I really enjoyed. The shot of the girl opening the library door from above, though I didn't know what was happening really this shot just felt creepy. I also liked some framing on other shots. The audio was pretty good throughout as well.

What I didn't like as much - Some of your "action" cuts didn't work. The car pulling up then a quick cut to later but nothing has really changed except you can see the mans feet on the other side....I would just take that second shot out entirely and go straight from car pulling up to man getting out. Same thing with the cut when the girl is walking up the library stairs, not enough time has passed so the effect doesnt work as well. The conversation between man and girl, at first the man is on the right then the girl is also on the right, then the man is on the left. Keep your characters on opposite sides of the frame so it feels like they are having a conversation. And of course don't switch what side they are on in the middle, that is crossing the 180 degree line, which takes the viewer out of the story. Lastly, I think the dissolve from the library door to the inside was too long.

Most of my complaints are small technical, it still looked nice and audio was good as well, which is of course a major part. Overall, congrats for putting something together, though I do wish the story was more clear
    Check out our :: MAIN SITE ::TWITTER :: IMDB

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Teflon View Post
    SPOILER REVIEW: Don't read further if you haven't seen the short

I need to preface this by saying that I don't think I fully understand the short. With that, my review might be a little biased on that side.

The good: The sound throughout was good (though I raised my volume just as that girl screamed). I like the studying in the library as well, though I think it could have been cut down just a little. The lighting on the characters was good as well.

The not as good: I ... didn't get it. Sorry man. I feel like there was a large part missing. The little girl seemed to be standing in the same spot the dad hit something with a baseball bat.

I feel like I can't really give a full review without knowing more, so I will leave this one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetvirus513 View Post
    Alright so I too did not really understand the story but despite that there are still some things I liked and disliked that I think can be shared.

What I liked - Some of your shots I really enjoyed. The shot of the girl opening the library door from above, though I didn't know what was happening really this shot just felt creepy. I also liked some framing on other shots. The audio was pretty good throughout as well.

What I didn't like as much - Some of your "action" cuts didn't work. The car pulling up then a quick cut to later but nothing has really changed except you can see the mans feet on the other side....I would just take that second shot out entirely and go straight from car pulling up to man getting out. Same thing with the cut when the girl is walking up the library stairs, not enough time has passed so the effect doesnt work as well. The conversation between man and girl, at first the man is on the right then the girl is also on the right, then the man is on the left. Keep your characters on opposite sides of the frame so it feels like they are having a conversation. And of course don't switch what side they are on in the middle, that is crossing the 180 degree line, which takes the viewer out of the story. Lastly, I think the dissolve from the library door to the inside was too long.

Most of my complaints are small technical, it still looked nice and audio was good as well, which is of course a major part. Overall, congrats for putting something together, though I do wish the story was more clear
    I appreciate you guys taking time to give feedback. For taking time to watch the film. Man do I love this place! DVXUser ROCKS!!!!

You are both COMPLETELY correct. The fact of the matter is that I started WAAaaaaayyyyy to late, and so when I finished shooting (still actually have 2 scenes left...very short though)...my film was already 10 min long. I KNEW that I wasn't going to be able to finish post production on it...and the sound guy needed the files, so even if I pulled an all nighter (or two or three)...I wasn't going to finish. So on Sunday afternoon, I had to make the call. Enter....(a severly CHOPPED down incoherent story)....or don't enter at all. I decided for the prior. I felt like the experience of entering would be good and would further condition me for future fests here on DVXUser. Boy oh boy am I glad that I did! I learned so much while shooting/post/sound etc.....BUT.....I learned even more about the process and the timing of what to expect when you submit for the Fest.

I'll write another post to explain where this story was heading, OR...maybe I'll complete the full version and post it later. Bottom line, you have both pointed out GREAT thing about the short comings of this incomplete submission. I'm glad I did it....I'm sorry I wasn't able to complete the whole project properly. THANK YOU BOTH....for taking time to give feedback!!! Cheers!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Oh come on guys, you're killing me here: no poster?
    I'm so sorry Rodney.
    I didn't get time...and it wasn't required...so I did all that I could. Maybe I'll do one (just for experience) this week. I know it won't help in the way that you are working on our pub stuff....sorry man. Thanks for all you are doing for us Rodney! Cheers!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Hey you made it in despite the challenges, so good on you. You still shipped and that's awesome. It's all a learning experience and its good that you're still passionate about it to want to keep doing it. Looking forward to seeing what your final product looks like.
    Thanks Rodney! Thank you for taking time to check out my stuff. I appreciate your comments greatly!

9. Collapse Details
    The sound has shifted a bit.... Normally everything should be sync...but it isn't anymore...
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dre83 View Post
    The sound has shifted a bit.... Normally everything should be sync...but it isn't anymore...
    I know...bummer. PM'd.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast