Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stuff I learned:

1. Sound PROBLEM: "Hey I lost my sound somehow!!!" ....guess how... The trial version of CS5 does not include sound for AC3 files (AVCHD)....DUH!!! Took me a minute to sort that out (I also shoot with Canon cameras, and they don't require AC3 ...from memory here guys....anyway...)

2. Adding grain: I ran a whole bunch of tests to get my footy to have that grainy look and still make it through the YouTube compression. Looks cool...pain in the rear to find the right balance, but hey....it is something to know anyway.

2. Collapse Details
    3. Color correction: Dang! I learned sooooo much about color correction. I'm not saying I'm any good at it, but I am 100 times better at it now than I was 3 weeks ago!!

4. Limits/strengths of my camera: I knew that the HX9 was a very special camera. I never dreamed it was as good as the images that I got from it. Everything I shot was "run and gun" and I never had a chance to really set up the shot. No lighting was used on a single shoot. I honestly thought that it was going to look AWFUL. Color me impressed (pun intended). lol. This thing excels in two areas that are VERY difficult on any camera. 1. Proper exposure (-2 all day...good to go) 2. Focus (because the sensor is so small, and the auto focus is solid)....great in both areas. Run and gun is fine on this cam....as long as you know its limits and what you plan on doing in post. I have a MUCH BETTER grasp on that after shooting this film. (render complete...gotta go)

3. Collapse Details
    5. Actors: I got the chance to shoot with two great actors (Marj Anderson, Jason Bowers). Although you won't see much of them in this project, you'll see more of them in the future. They have both agreed to shoot on my next project (during this winter...brrrrr..) So cool that they enjoyed this one...and are ready for another! (How do you beat that?)

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are well on your way to completion.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are well on your way to completion.
    True.
    Sadly....it's true, but only for one reason: I cut my loses and just edited a version that completely SLAUGHTERED the story and likely any ability to understand what is going on. Simply put, it's horrible (as far as a short film is concerned)....BUT....it IS DONE. You've got to start somewhere....and as embarrassing as it is, at least it's done. There it is. I entered a DVXFest! Yay! Next time, I'll be better prepared to submit something that I'm "proud of".... The bummer deal is that the story has potential. NOT "scary"....but great for kids and a story that keeps you "on your toes"...anywho. Thanks Elton!

6. Collapse Details
    These are highly compressed, but they give an idea of some of the shots taken using the HX9. Enjoy!

(Indeed, it looks like I'm going to have to export some full quality screen caps so you can appreciate the quality...sorry...got to go for now....I'll fix it later)

14.jpg1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9.jpg10.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    looks great, nice framing and compositions.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    looks great, nice framing and compositions.
    Thanks so much Matt! I appreciate your support. I am only sorry that I ran out of time to do something more "Epic" with your amazing music. I really enjoy your stuff! I'm also sorry that I didn't get to fix some things that you noticed that needed to be fixed. My titles were never addressed, ...and they don't look good. My editing could have been MUCH tighter and with that, including the other scenes would have been ideal. What to do? There are only 24 hrs in a day.....next time, I'll start sooner, and get your input sooner!

Thanks again for your support!

9. Collapse Details
    all good man, as long as you are still entering, i'm excited to see your movie.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    all good man, as long as you are still entering, i'm excited to see your movie.
    Yep! The sound design guy has had the "final"...(non-final really) version since Sunday...so he is coming right along. DANG!! I love the story here....and it's NOT going to end up being told. Another thing that BURNS me up....is that the "look" that you saw in that first "test" shoot will not be in the final either. I was NOT able to shoot at the proper time of day, so....that nice "haunting" look isn't there. RRrrrrrr....I agree with you though. I'm glad that I entered, and I am already making plans to shoot another short film....(and I'm NOT waiting for the next DVXfest.....I'll shoot that one too, but I'm going to shoot another one while I wait for that one too...

ps...where do the peeps go to hear more of your amazing music? Cheers Buddy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast