Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nex-5N vs FS100U in Low Light???
    Ok, given the same lens and F-stop how close is the 5N to the FS100U in very low light? Say it's under about the worst lighting circumstances and you're using an F1.8 or F1.4 lens. How close is the 5N to the best the FS100U can do. I was blown away by the F100U with an F1.4 lens. It's crazy good in low light. I read the 5N is even better in low light than the 5D Mark II and that it was the most amazing low light the owner had scene (who had owned and used plenty of highend camcorders and DSLRs).

Very curious to know this. Thanks!
    Last edited by skital; 12-19-2011 at 02:21 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    we're using the nex5n for a bit of low profile stuff... just seen this subforum. Couldnt find a nex5n forum on this site until now

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...p-and-real-fix!

3. Collapse Details
    The FS100s key is the sensor and although the 5n does share the same SIZE sensor, they're not the same, alas the low-light not being anywere near as clean at high ISO's, it is good, but not as good.

4. Collapse Details
    I just used the Sony nex-5n at a shoot alongside my Canon 7d. Contrast -3, sharpness -3, saturation -1. Me and my coworker (We've been using the Canon 7d for over two years) thought that the Sony Nex-5n did produce a better quality picture. It was slightly flatter and the 50p definitely beat the moired 60p of the Canon 7d. The 25p mode has too much rolling shutter for my taste but at 50p it's reduced. Haven't tried to grade it yet, so don't know how much it breaks apart but early impressions are great. A sharper, more natural image and definitely less moire. I shot some wide scenes at F3.5-F8 and the moire/aliasing was definitely better.

This one is a keeper!

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    DId a twelve camera comparison last week, colorist from Modern here in LA took all of the footage from each camera and did his work in resolve.

Alpha and NEX-5N were part of that, they were in the lowest tier for usability when considering grading and presentation.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by skital View Post
    Ok, given the same lens and F-stop how close is the 5N to the FS100U in very low light? Say it's under about the worst lighting circumstances and you're using an F1.8 or F1.4 lens. How close is the 5N to the best the FS100U can do. I was blown away by the F100U with an F1.4 lens. It's crazy good in low light. I read the 5N is even better in low light than the 5D Mark II and that it was the most amazing low light the owner had scene (who had owned and used plenty of highend camcorders and DSLRs).

Very curious to know this. Thanks!
    skital - I suggest you see Mr. Bloom's Christmas Shootout: Part 2, if you haven't already: http://vimeo.com/34637684

NEX-5N low light test starts at 21:45 and NEX-FS100 low light test starts immediately afterwards at 22:26. In almost no light, here is Bloom's quote on the FS100's performance:

"It is absolutely ridiculous how much we can see right now."

By the way, the 5N and the FS100 have different sensor sizes. The 5N's APS-C sensor is 23.5mm x 15.6mm (366.6 sq mm) and the FS100's Super 35 sensor is 23.6mm x 13.3mm (313.88 sq mm). Yes, the 5N's sensor is slightly larger, but, to quote the FS100 brochure:

"The [FS100] sensor also features an optimum number of effective pixels for shooting HD moving images. At a high 60fps in all-pixel scan mode, this allows images to be captured with less color aliasing, jaggedness and rolling shutter than DSLR cameras, while providing the sensitivity to shoot at a minimum illumination of 0.28 lux. Another advantage of Exmor technology is minimal noise when shooting low-light scenes."

In my view, given the FS100's performance in Phil's test, this is more than just marketing hype.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution
    http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com
    FZ150/GH1/GH2/TM900

7. Collapse Details
    KHOLI: I want to see that shootout!!

8. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    It wasn't scientific. It was pretty much "here's the worse case scenario, how does each one do?"

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    It wasn't scientific. It was pretty much "here's the worse case scenario, how does each one do?"
    Are you going to write a blog post about it? If so, do you know when?

10. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Braun View Post
    Are you going to write a blog post about it? If so, do you know when?
    Probably won't unless I can get footage to show as well. Don't think it would be fair. xD I'll see if I can at least get something, though.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast