Thread: The 7th Mile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    even better!
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    even better!
    I hope so... lol I see you're from W. Hollywood. I'll be up in the 818 to meet with Harry Manfredini who'll be doing the score for our film.

Canon7D | Panasonic AF100 | Sony EX3 | Stage Left Films

3. Collapse Details
    dude that's amazing, he's a classic horror movie composer, how did you get him?
    his credits: http://www.harrymanfredini.com/filmography/
    Matt Harris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE

4. Collapse Details
    He's a very close friend of one of our cast members, Steve 'Papaw' Pyatte (The guy with the ZZ Top beard). I spoke with Harry for a few hours and he loved the story so much, he wanted to do it. After some negotiation, he offered his services for a few bottles of wine. I couldn't refuse...

5. Collapse Details
    That is one scary dad! I wish your stills didn't give away the end though but you built good tension anyhow. I totally believed in the situation, and what the boys were dealing with.
    The shot at 5:45 with the boy and fog behind his head, GREAT shot. Your compression though, you might want to shrink the physical size of your movie so it's sharper and less compressed?
    Good short, nicely done!
    Matt Harris

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Matt,

I appreciate the feedback. I did have issues with the compression as the original file from compressor was around 800mb, and I had to get it down to 100mb. I never thought about shrinking the frame size down. Oh well, you always learn something new.

Dan

7. Collapse Details
    REVIEW!

I liked this one a lot, it was a fun story, pretty nice visually and I enjoyed watching it.

What I liked - Your lighting was well done for the campfire scenes, very believable. I thought your acting especially the boy and his father was great, and the other boy was good as well. I really liked the scene from around 2:55 to 3:10 or so when he hides and the boy finds him with his flashlight.....and then lets him go. That decision was powerful in your character building. Also some of those shots were nice. I also liked the angle/framing when the one boy is shooting the other boy......and of course the brains were cool!

What I didn't like as much - The chasing through the forest scene was too dark, I really couldn't see anything. I think the sound when the dad hits his son for sassing him was lacking, it didn't sound like he hit him. My biggest complaint though was that this didn't seem SCARY to me. Of course scary means different things to different people, but even though the situation was believable, the boy being held there didn't seem very scared, and in turn the whole scenario didn't seem "scary"

Overall though it was a nice story, with good acting and some really well done lighting, very enjoyable.
    Check out our :: MAIN SITE ::TWITTER :: IMDB

8. Collapse Details
    This was good. I forgave a lot and really got into the story. It left me with that creepy feeling.

I'd say tighten the sound design. I wish the acting was more consistent throughout because you would've hit a home run.

Also kudos to the makeup person!

9. Collapse Details
    A pretty solid story and decent acting by the kids. I think the father needed another angle to really give him a menancing feel. Otherwise, it's just another wannbe badass biker buck with a zz top beard. I would have liked to see some really Close ups to his soul. I bet he's got one in there somewhere. Which... leads me to another point. he's definitely the weakest link and I wanted to see some dimensions to him. Perhaps a slight bit of sympathy, a story of why he's such a jackass to his son, a phone call from his wife nagging him about not putting away the dishes before they left on the camping trip... etc.

I also wanted to know more about the scout. How did they meet, why he was tied up. (which I didn't see that coming in the opening).

I know films like these don't always get a happy ending, but I felt cheated as I was rooting for the lil' guy to turn the gun on the dad. Or, after the first bullet, have the dad say he's proud of his son for having the balls to actually take the shot. At that point, the scout could have saved the day, or perhaps would have lead to an opportunity for the son to take action on his father. Maybe the moral of this story, once a menace, always a cold hearted menace?

Looking forward to your next film and to see you progress.

Cheers and congrats on entering.
    /j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

10. Collapse Details
    SPOILER REVIEW:

The good: The kids were pretty decent, which is rare. The music was great as well. The dad's acting was pretty legit, too. Good flow in the story, too. Believe it or not, I didn't see the end coming. Everyone here puts a twist on the story, so I expect it. Good job.

The not as good: The lighting was hit and miss. Some of the dialogue was a little off to me ("What's that?" "I already told you ... it's the___."). This hit from the dad sounded like a thud (like a body hitting the ground) instead of a smack. That big guy went down pretty easily, too. It was kind of hard to see anything during the chase. I think the boyscout would have pleaded more for his life more before the trigger was pulled.

Favorite part: the dad walking into the blade calling out the boyscout.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast