Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BEBEQUICK View Post
    Hi am making a short film with a 5d and low budget and was thinking of buying a Sony Pro Walkman WM-D6C for field recordings
    for the ambient soundtrack. Dialogue sync won't be an issue as I'll record this on something else.

The sound on the walkman's is really warm and clear-however would it be more advisable to buy something like a zoom h4n-
    how do these compare in terms of sound quality? (-: Bebe
    I wouldn't recommend going with a cassette-based recorder. It may say "professional" on it, but this opens you up to a myriad of challenges. (Note: this machine has been discontinued for a decade now.) Analog cassette tape is a flaky and unreliable medium that has inconsistent speed, and even though you say sync won't be an issue, I cannot in good conscience tell you that this is a good idea. Plus, what you can get from a digital recorder these days for ambient sound beds rivals what the high-end (read: 4- and 5-figure list price) audio recorders offered 20 years ago. And even with Dolby B and C noise reductions available, the noise floor is going to be noticeable.

If you want a basic, usable recorder, go with the Tascam DR-40. I keep one in my kit and use it often to grab quick sound beds. It's great to have in the pocket of my sound bag... if something happens between takes, it's at the ready to grab a stereo recording with the on-baord mics, and I don't have to worry about my main mixer and recorder.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Zoom even though (or maybe because) I used to have one.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

2. Collapse Details
    I received my Roland R-26 a few days ago. I must say that it's a nice looking unit, the touch screen works great also (it's a resistive touch screen not capacitive, which is good IMHO for field use). The front gain control knobs are also a joy to use. If enibody would like me to do some test please fell free to ask. I have only one boom mic, so there isn't much that I can do

I did try how much the batteries last. I did a test with 4 AA Eneloop 2400mAh batteries, recorder one channel with a boom mic. So that's one mic, one phantom power and I also turned on the limiter and hit record. I got a little over 12 hours of recording. Was quite surprised by this, especially because the monitor stays on the whole time while recording...

That's all. If anybody else would want something I'll try to arrange it.
    Sanjin Švajger

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Sanjin!

I think you may be the first to chip in here as an owner of the R-26. Would love to hear more once you've had a chance to get a couple of real-world projects in the can!

Find Me on Instagram

4. Collapse Details
    I just purchased a Tascam DR-40 and love the sound quality of it. It's good if you use the line features. Doesn't hurt that it's $150 on Amazon (though there was some discount at the time I bought it and actually brought it down to $130 brand new). At that price it was near impossible for me to NOT buy a handy portable recorder
    Jonathan Lau

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    Thanks, Sanjin!

I think you may be the first to chip in here as an owner of the R-26. Would love to hear more once you've had a chance to get a couple of real-world projects in the can!
    I'm not an audio person myself but I'll try to convey info from my sound producers.

I did however do a test to see if there is any apparent drift. I did a test with an HPX171 in 25p and the r26 at 24bit and 48khz. In one hour I got 1/4 of a frame of drift. I did it by doing a clapper in the beginning of the recording and at the end (was this done ok?).
    So this recorder is perfectly usable for doing synced video.
    Sanjin Švajger

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KINOKS View Post
    I did a test with an HPX171 in 25p and the r26 at 24bit and 48khz. In one hour I got 1/4 of a frame of drift. I did it by doing a clapper in the beginning of the recording and at the end (was this done ok?).
    So this recorder is perfectly usable for doing synced video.
    Sync marks (slate) at beginning and end give you a great way to detect drift. 1/4 of a frame over one hour is pretty solid. I wouldn't call this "synced" video, however, as it is strictly non-sync unless the camera and recorder are slaved to the same master clock. This is still non-sync, but apparently with a pretty reliable internal clock on the R26.

The bigger test is to see if you can get that same result over repeated takes.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    Oh, really? I didn't know that this could vary... What does it depend upon? Room temperature?

I'll do it a couple more times and report back!
    Sanjin Švajger

8. Collapse Details
    Sync marks (slate) at beginning and end give you a great way to detect drift. 1/4 of a frame over one hour is pretty solid. I wouldn't call this "synced" video, however, as it is strictly non-sync unless the camera and recorder are slaved to the same master clock. This is still non-sync, but apparently with a pretty reliable internal clock on the R26.

Try in varying temperatures as well... from 'early morning cool' to afternoon heat... Unless of course one only shoots in a studio with air conditioning... that works...

While this probably would not cause problems with short takes, if one were to record a seminar, or other 'long' event, things could happen during that time to affect drift, including drift being non-constant...

9. Collapse Details
    I have a Roland R26 and it's a nice recorder. Better preamps than the Marantz PMD670, 660 and 661 and everything that I've tried below that in the more affordable categories. Definitely better than anything Zoom or Tascam makes in that price range. And it works well with dynamic mics like the Senn MD46 and RE50. It does have an inconvenient form factor that's pretty much relegated to hand held use--though, I suppose, you could lay it sideways and face up in a bag. But I can operate the levels with one hand. I just carry it upside down on a shoulder strap or mount it on a stand since it has a standard tripod socket. The big negative is that the recorder doesn't have locking XLR plugs. Still working with it.

10. Collapse Details
    Audio Recorder Shootout: H4n vs DR100MKII vs Sound Devices 702 vs even more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVeB...layer_embedded

I don't see the juicedlinked RA333/RM listed yet and they may be of consideration now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast