Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lake Films, your question would be better served as it's own thread, rather than in a "stickie" post about under 300 recorders.

Dingo, I would love to see the results of that test. I would volunteer to help you on that, as I have a unique perspective on manufacturers, since I used to work for one.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bernard View Post
    Dingo, I would love to see the results of that test. I would volunteer to help you on that, as I have a unique perspective on manufacturers, since I used to work for one.
    Coolio. I'll send you a PM when I'm closer to doing the test. ( likely sometime in February )

3. Collapse Details
    Any thoughts on the zoom h4n?

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your great stickie Alex! What do you think of *used* higher-end options such as a Fostex pd-6 or even a FR-2 as a field recorder? Obviously there are issues with trusting that the machine is still in decent shape, etc. And it seems that some of these older, nice machines might not be very suitable for "bag" field recording (operating with a boom etc).
    Last edited by qwerty123; 02-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Anyone looking into the new azden fmx-dslr? For $285 it seems like a good choice to me over something like the h4n. I am just hesitant because it just came out and I would like to see some reviews on it first. Anyone have thoughts on it?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    What do you think of *used* higher-end options such as a Fostex pd-6 or even a FR-2 as a field recorder? Obviously there are issues with trusting that the machine is still in decent shape, etc. And it seems that some of these older, nice machines might not be very suitable for "bag" field recording (operating with a boom etc).
    Most of the higher-end recorders, new or used, are perfectly suitable for bag use. Used can be a great way to get what you want/need at a better price. As you say, you do need to be certain of the history and condition of the unit. As always, know your seller and "buyer beware".

Check out used Sound Devices recorders. They maintain their values a bit more than others, but you can still find some good deals.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tby View Post
    Anyone looking into the new azden fmx-dslr? For $285 it seems like a good choice to me over something like the h4n. I am just hesitant because it just came out and I would like to see some reviews on it first. Anyone have thoughts on it?
    The fist thing I notice is that it's from Azden. That's strike one.

No metering. Strike two.

Built-in AGC that's always on. Strike three, it's out. No need to go into all the other things I see in this box that make it a poor choice.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

8. Collapse Details
    If you could get the Tascam DR100 and the Roland R-26 for the same amount (as I have an option currently) which one would you get. The R-26 looks really nice with the big touch screen and with nice gain controls in the front. In the near future I'll also pair it up with a mixer. Probably Mixpre-d. The only thing that I find better about DR100 is it's battery life. It has dual batteries that together last as I understand it 5 hours with one phantom power in use.
    Sanjin Švajger

9. Collapse Details
    Hi am making a short film with a 5d and low budget and was thinking of buying a Sony Pro Walkman WM-D6C for field recordings
    for the ambient soundtrack. Dialogue sync won't be an issue as I'll record this on something else.

The sound on the walkman's is really warm and clear-however would it be more advisable to buy something like a zoom h4n-
    how do these compare in terms of sound quality? (-: Bebe

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BEBEQUICK View Post
    Hi am making a short film with a 5d and low budget and was thinking of buying a Sony Pro Walkman WM-D6C for field recordings for the ambient soundtrack.
    What mics are you planning on using ?

FYI: I am teaching an introductory course on video production and have been looking for a low cost, but good sounding digital recorder. So far the winner in the low cost category is the Olympus LS-7, which sells for about $160. The LS-7 mics are very good, and the RMS noise floor of the recorder is -67 dB ( without limiter ) and -60 dB ( with limiter ) recording at 48 kHz 16-bit, which is the essentially the same as the Zoom H4n. ( -66 dB without limiter 48 kHz 24-bit ) A pair of AAA batteries will power the LS-7 recorder for 30+ hours. If you want a low cost recorder with a better noise floor, the Tascam DR-100 has a RMS noise floor of -89 dB recording at 48 kHz 16-bit/24-bit. ( bit depth makes no difference on the noise floor for this model )

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast