Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    (sound of hand smacking forehead) Holy cats! I've looked at the DR-40 half a dozen times over the last few years, but I always thought it was mic-level inputs
    I owned the Tascam DR-40 and the DR-100 Mk2 for over a year, and ended up selling the DR-100 Mk2 because I rarely used it. The DR-100 is tiny bit quieter ( Noise Floor of -80 dB RMS vs -75 dB RMS for the DR-40 ), but if you're using it with a good mixer the difference really doesn't matter.

Physically the DR-100 is a "brick", where the DR-40 is a little more compact.

2. Collapse Details
    I've had the Tascam DR-60D for a little over a year now and it has done its job marvelously. Unlike the Zoom H4N and the other 2 popular Tascam recorders, the DR-40 and DR-100 MK2, this recorder does not have a built-in microphone. I use a full double-system setup with a microphone on a boompole, so the attached microphones would have been fairly useless to me. I purchased it in April 2013 at $330. It's now down to $200, but I would purchase it again if the need arose, even if the price hadn't dropped. I would recommend running the audio through a mixer, such as the MixPre, before it goes into the recorder, but it is great on its own as well. Cleaner than the other models. It has some small annoyances, like how it eats batteries for dinner, but they do not subtract from the quality much, especially at this new lower price. I use Eneloop batteries, and when running phantom power, get 3 hours of use out of them. Those batteries do not cost much more than regular, non-rechargeable batteries, so I would recommend grabbing 8 or 12 of them. You can also power the recorder through USB power.

At the low, low price point of $200, the Tascam DR-60D is likely the best recorder in its price range, if built-in microphones are not needed. Pair it with a good set of headphones and a mixer, and you've got an even more powerful tool in your hands.

Here is a newer version of the recorder, for sale at the same low price of $200! http://www.bswusa.com/Portable-Digit...II-P10736.aspx
    Last edited by iamlance; 09-30-2014 at 09:48 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    dr60 but watch out for quality control my one was faulty. But the preamps, form factor and functionality are the best in its class.

4. Collapse Details
    Love the DR-40 and the fact that it can be powered by a USB Powerbank which helps when using phantom power. Miss the 3.5mm mic input that the Zoom h4n has. Got mine for $120 last year in November so can't beat that value.

5. Collapse Details
    I currently have a Fostex FR2LE and wanted to change it out for a recorder that also has an audio interface to connect to a computer. Does anyone have a list or any recommendations for one below $1000, preferably around the same price range as the Fostex?

6. Collapse Details
    I am wondering if there is anything new out there cheaper than the DR 40. I have a decent mixer just want to capture the audio.

I have a DR60 but I have not gotten the hang of it and it seems bulky to be using with my mixer.

Thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    Bulky?! The Tascam DR60 is very small and lightweight when compared to say Sound Devices recorders!

8. Collapse Details
    I basically use my Marantz pmd661 all of the time. I generally get called to record indie stuff, shorts mostly, with one or two features. I record dialig mostly, ambient sound, some music.

I've been really happy with the sound, though it depends a lot on the mics I use. I have a Rode Ntg-3, a AT 4053b, a Sennheiser ME-66 and 67.

I have even been called with my gear to do a low-budget Hollywood feature or two, obviously 2nd unit when their sound team was heavily involved with the main crew.

I'd love to run a great sound kit with Sound Design or equivalent, but there is zero need for it out in 'fly-over' country such as Sacramento.

If I routinely got paid more than gas money, maybe!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know if there are any current offerings that simular to the Sony D50 or M10?

I recently purchased a Tascam DR 40 and was surprised on how much less noisy my Sony was in terms of noise performance. Unfortunately my Sony D50 which I purchased used is broken. Internal mics work but the mic input doesn't work anymore. Is there anything affordable out there that will give me the low noise levels I am used to on my Sony? Otherwise I guess I'll just purchase another used D50 or M10.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345