Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bizarre audio problem with my FS100
    Hello guys,

I have an odd audio problem crop up on my FS100. Just recently, it has been producing a quiet audio beep every second or so during recording. It directly corresponds to the memory card tally light. When data is writing to the card, there is a beep. I can only hear this beep if my ear is placed directly next to the body.

A beeping camera is really not an issue, but when it somehow bleeds into the audio recording, then it becomes a big problem. All of my recordings now have a faint audio beep every second.

I've tried about everything I could think of. I get no change with different; mics, cables, memory cards, and batteries. I still have the beeps when nothing is connected to the camera. But only get recorded beeps when an XLR mic is connected. Another thing I noticed is the beeps are faster in S&Q 60p mode. I'm guessing data is writing to the card much faster in this mode.

Has anybody experienced this problem with their FS100?

Thanks, Damon

2. Collapse Details
    Odd. The same thing was happening to HPX 500's about four years ago. They fixed it if you sent it in. Jan?
    Paul
    Lizardlandvideo.com
    Latexfilmservice.com
    Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
    Phoenix Video Productions

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry to hear that! I can't hear anything on mine.... sounds like maybe some crosstalk to the built-in speaker...? Did you try turning down the playback volume?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TMDFilms View Post
    Hello guys,

I have an odd audio problem crop up on my FS100. Just recently, it has been producing a quiet audio beep every second or so during recording.
    I have had the same issue

I have not had the resources to check it out fully yet

My guess was that it was coming from my Lav, maybe due to its placement near my Vlock battery creating some kind of 'magnetic or radio pulse' when power was drawn from the battery

I would do some experiments with different mic leads (and qualities), position of lav receivers etc

S

5. Collapse Details
    Sorry to hear that! I can't hear anything on mine.... sounds like maybe some crosstalk to the built-in speaker...? Did you try turning down the playback volume?
    I tried turning down the playback volume, but the beeps still record.

My guess was that it was coming from my Lav, maybe due to its placement near my Vlock battery creating some kind of 'magnetic or radio pulse' when power was drawn from the battery

I would do some experiments with different mic leads (and qualities), position of lav receivers etc
    I did some further testing and noticed the right channel (2) is more affected than the left. I did try three different microphones plugged in different inputs but still have the same results. I striped the camera down to just camera and microphone but still have beeps. Adjusting the trim level and gain level doesn't affect it. Factory reset didn't help. I've also tried recording in different locations just in case it was some sort of radio interference and still have the same result. What's odd is the intensity of the beeps can vary. Yesterday, I was getting strong beeps, but today with the same settings the beeps are quieter.

I guess the camera is going back to Sony. What worries me is this was not happening a few weeks ago. And I've been using this camera since mid June with the same external setup and settings.

Thanks for your help guys,
    Damon

6. Collapse Details
    Ok, this is odd. Early I said I tried different memory cards. Which were two new SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (45MB/s) cards. I tried an older SanDisk card I had in my DSLR. It's the 16GB Extreme SDHC (30MB/s). Both class 10. Well, the older SanDisk card somehow does not record the audio beeps. I've swapped back and forth between the new and old card and every time the results are the same. I don't see how this is possible. Not unless the FS100 is having troubles writing to the newer SanDisk card which is creating some sort of resistance in the circuitry. (I'm not an engineer )

Unfortunately, the beeps can still be heard through the audio monitoring. This will drive my audio operator crazy with one second interval beeps while recording.

What cards are you guys using? Anybody using the new UHS-I SanDisk cards?

Thanks, Damon

7. Collapse Details
    Considering the routing of CH2 near the card it makes sense that the writing operation is putting out some sort of intereferance

Scan disk extreme, 32G, 30mbs class10 is my (only) card

S

my use of itialics means I do not have sufficient technical knowledge to comment but am making a guess

8. Collapse Details
    Paul
    Lizardlandvideo.com
    Latexfilmservice.com
    Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
    Phoenix Video Productions

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TMDFilms View Post
    Ok, this is odd. Early I said I tried different memory cards. Which were two new SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (45MB/s) cards. I tried an older SanDisk card I had in my DSLR. It's the 16GB Extreme SDHC (30MB/s). Both class 10. Well, the older SanDisk card somehow does not record the audio beeps. I've swapped back and forth between the new and old card and every time the results are the same. I don't see how this is possible. Not unless the FS100 is having troubles writing to the newer SanDisk card which is creating some sort of resistance in the circuitry. (I'm not an engineer )

Unfortunately, the beeps can still be heard through the audio monitoring. This will drive my audio operator crazy with one second interval beeps while recording.

What cards are you guys using? Anybody using the new UHS-I SanDisk cards?

Thanks, Damon
    You think the beeps indicates a buffer overun? Email Pro Sony and ask them if this is the case. FYI: I am using the Lexar 133x Professional line of cards (64GB). No beeping for me. Knock on wood.

10. Collapse Details
    Could you post a short snippet of the audio?
    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast