Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
  1. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Thanks guys. Great reviews, so keep em coming. Keaton is taking lots of notes (as am I) that we're going to use to expand on the story a little after the fest, so keep em coming. You guys always give the best feedback, negative or otherwise. And yes, its a bummer about the rooftop scene but you have no idea how exhausted poor Alan was...

EDIT: I'm coming around to review each film, just delayed with one of the other projects that delayed my own production. More more day of color correction to go here.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    I didn't understand "why" as well a person had to die. I had no empathy for the main characters, not really sure how they got trapped by that thing. It's trapped in the building, so they could leave and go anywhere and be safe, so I don't get that part, the arrangement/agreement or whatever they have.

Tentacles, yeah, cool. Acting by the executive way-over-the-top-unnecessary. I didn't buy it, too forced. Sure the music drowned the dialogue, but may I say I loved having that music in there. Too bad it was too loud to enjoy, but I liked it. I liked the gangster guy.

Would I see it again, no, not really. There wasn't enough story to make me want to keep on the channel. It needed more. At least you got the short going from the get-go, give you that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

3. Collapse Details
    Rodney great concept, I have the same symbiotic relationship with my girlfriend's lazy dog.

For me this worked on some levels but not others. The acting probably took me out of it the most, it wasn't there all the way through. Some of your shots were pretty epic, anything low angle was money. Only one cut threw me off, not sure if it was the camera direction but the scene with the woman had a weird cut. The cgi was pretty good, you could probably tighten that up, it was a little jumpy not sure how tight the motion tracking was. I'd have to look at it again but maybe the tentacles need some shadow, they seemed a little bit hot. There were some audio issues, seemed like the roof top was ADR and the music was running a little hot.

I wonder how the story would play out if the main character was on his own. Now that I think about it, the other character is quick way to provide a lot of the exposition. Great stuff though, I really enjoyed it.

4. Collapse Details
    SPOILERS watch film before reading on

You held the look of the film throughout very well, The rap on roof was telling a story and the peoples were also telling a story, it took me away from the conversation and started focusing on the music.

5. Collapse Details
    Quick review.

Interesting approach as always Mr Smith. But not only that, if this creature were real I could totally believe it.

And of course you gave us a lovely toilet creature. Nice.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

6. Collapse Details
    I missed the titles for this film - and it was hilarious really! Me and Sarah were sitting watching it and as soon as the two characters started chatting, we turned to one another and said, almost instinctively...

'Chris keaton!'

That is no criticism either, its actually an accomplishment that a scriptwriter in particular can carry such a narrative motiff (and of course it contained the obligatory but ALWAYS an originally & entertaining.... monster!) Chris and Stephen King love monsters in their stories (preferably alien ones!) So its actually always such fun, and Rodney i think you benefit from working with Chris script (because don't slap me for this but) its actually the first time....

the first time....

I can really say with complete conviction that your story was completely coherent!

Some stylistic things were cute - some people might not have liked the rapping upstairs, i think if thats part of the characters world then hell it should be there, but perhaps a little shorter/) I think the acting could have been more dynamic (except for the Repubilcan senator you got at the end - he was awesome) - but i think the leads could have done with some Scottish mamba juice to get them going full steam!

The fx were fine - amusing and unexpected! I think we could have had more tension build up in the toilets at the end - the idea overall was smart, competent and unexpected. So well done guys
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415