Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    The magical words! APPROVED! Happy times in las Casa del Me tonight!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that would have been funny, doing all the last minute stuff, not sleeping, other people not sleeping and then the words "not approvred" :-p
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com

3. Collapse Details
    REVIEW!

This was one that I was looking forward to watching, and I was pretty happy with it.

What I liked - The concept in itself was fun and enjoyable, and creepy. I think your actors did a good job and your camerawork was nicely done. I really liked the lighting when your main character is handing the "stolen" stuff off to get sold, and I loved the shot down the hallway. Also, the sound design was really nice, loved the sound of the bucket wheeling down the hallway, that was creepy to me.

What I didn't like as much - The scene on the rooftop, was a necessary scene, but the music drowned out the dialogue, and also because of the music, that whole scene had a mood that really didn't fit the rest of the story for me. I would suggest not making it as loud during dialogue, maybe make it coming from the car and have it be somewhat muted when he closes the car door. Your sound for the paper towels in the bathroom, didn't feel right to me, it sounded like he was crumpling tissue paper.....though who knows what they provide in those subway bathrooms ;) Lastly, the line where the rich guy asks "are you alright in there?" or something to that extent should be taken out I think. This is due to the type of person he is. He just blatantly cussed out a janitor because he is "below him" as a result of this I find it hard to believe that he cares about anyone else besides himself, and probably couldn't care less if someone is feeling sick in the bathroom.

All in all this was a well put together film, that seemed to be an ambitious project. You got some good locations, acting, and good lighting and overall I enjoyed watching it!

Also I don't know if it was intended but when the lead character told the woman to go in the second door, because she will be "much happier" I laughed pretty hard. No idea why but that line was just hilarious to me.
    Check out our :: MAIN SITE ::TWITTER :: IMDB

4. Collapse Details
    As I said, I was going to watch this one first...and guess what...I'm watching it first.

The "intro" (first scene, the scene in which persons are introduced etc..) is good. Only one thing...the "titles" are going a little bit to fast...

The dialogues are ADR ? All of them or just the roof ?

Nice sound of the "rolling-thing" (don't know the word for it, the bucket on wheels thing)... Was it the "real" sound or added something to it ?

I would also have made the "monster" sound splashy, but maybe with a little more "groawl" in it... a "splashy-growl".... But it sounds nice.

To bad for the small "distortion" in the line of that guy in the toilet.

Nice VFX for doing these in a short time. Was it made brand new or something they had from somewhere (library or so....Don't know)

philipsfilmsound.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dre83 View Post
    As I said, I was going to watch this one first...and guess what...I'm watching it first.

Nice VFX for doing these in a short time. Was it made brand new or something they had from somewhere (library or so....Don't know)
    I'll reveal the secret of the tentacle later on... lest it ruin the magic...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dre83 View Post
    The dialogues are ADR ? All of them or just the roof ?

Nice sound of the "rolling-thing" (don't know the word for it, the bucket on wheels thing)... Was it the "real" sound or added something to it ?

I would also have made the "monster" sound splashy, but maybe with a little more "groawl" in it... a "splashy-growl".... But it sounds nice.
    Only the rooftop scene was ADR. We had a great location sound guy on it Vik Moudgill and he captured excellent sound for the rest of the shoot. He just wasn't present on the day we shot the rooftop. As for the rolling bucket: that was from the location sound, nothing Foley'd there.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thetvirus513 View Post
    REVIEW!

This was one that I was looking forward to watching, and I was pretty happy with it.

What I liked - The concept in itself was fun and enjoyable, and creepy. I think your actors did a good job and your camerawork was nicely done. I really liked the lighting when your main character is handing the "stolen" stuff off to get sold, and I loved the shot down the hallway. Also, the sound design was really nice, loved the sound of the bucket wheeling down the hallway, that was creepy to me.

What I didn't like as much - The scene on the rooftop, was a necessary scene, but the music drowned out the dialogue, and also because of the music, that whole scene had a mood that really didn't fit the rest of the story for me. I would suggest not making it as loud during dialogue, maybe make it coming from the car and have it be somewhat muted when he closes the car door. Your sound for the paper towels in the bathroom, didn't feel right to me, it sounded like he was crumpling tissue paper.....though who knows what they provide in those subway bathrooms ;) Lastly, the line where the rich guy asks "are you alright in there?" or something to that extent should be taken out I think. This is due to the type of person he is. He just blatantly cussed out a janitor because he is "below him" as a result of this I find it hard to believe that he cares about anyone else besides himself, and probably couldn't care less if someone is feeling sick in the bathroom.

All in all this was a well put together film, that seemed to be an ambitious project. You got some good locations, acting, and good lighting and overall I enjoyed watching it!

Also I don't know if it was intended but when the lead character told the woman to go in the second door, because she will be "much happier" I laughed pretty hard. No idea why but that line was just hilarious to me.
    Thanks for the honest review. Glad you mostly enjoyed it and were able to follow it easily. We had some fun with the shots on this one and really used the location as much as we could. Most of the really dramatic lighting was necessary to make an otherwise ugly corridor interesting. Some well placed lights really do help the mood, especially when you're going for creepy.

I blame myself for the sound mix since it got into Alan's hands at a really late stage (more on my sound disaster later... when you pick a sound mixer STAY with your sound mixer especially if it's late in the game.) Alan would have done an awesome job if we'd had time to tweak and review, but unfortunately with so many films counting on him and so little, some things fell through the cracks. So I'm the only one to blame for sound at this point.

The Paper Towels were actually from source audio and you're right: the paper in those bathrooms is horrible.

Maybe the character didn't want anyone puking on his shoes? Self preservation and all that?

Thanks for the review dude. And glad we got a laugh out of you. The delivery of that line was priceless.

And kudos to Mr Keaton for putting up with my s*%t during production.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    Only the rooftop scene was ADR. We had a great location sound guy on it Vik Moudgill and he captured excellent sound for the rest of the shoot. He just wasn't present on the day we shot the rooftop. As for the rolling bucket: that was from the location sound, nothing Foley'd there.
    I think that bucket just wanted to have it's attention.... :-p

philipsfilmsound.com

9. Collapse Details
    and.... ?

Did the reel just catch on fire? Who hit pause? Why'd it stop?

So, I'm not sure it was supposed to end, or if you just ran out of time. Perhaps it was an editing or an unresolved musical note that just left me (and hopefully everyone else) hanging in mid thought and wonderment. So I'm not sure if the characters were hired as gatekeepers to a supposed subway set or guards to a much need food or slave drive or... Wait. I couldn't hear that part because of the random Song in the middle of the movie. It completely random and totally distracting. Two guys met up on a roof top and were saying.. wait, no. I'm going back and still have no clue from deductive reason because I still could not get past a random song. I'm not sure if it was the mix, but Dialog is "KING". If I can't hear someone talking in a scene, i have no idea what's going on.

I think I will have to watch it again to understand. perhaps I missed something that was lost in translation, but it had so much damn potential and just left me hanging. I don't really want to go back and hang again.

Technically, and visually there were some great aspects to the look of the film. I'm not sure if what happened in the audio dept.

Acting was not bad really. The executive chum at the end could have been given a little more direction and not so much cliche. Even an asshole still deserves a small moment of sympathy on film. (perhaps a phone call to his wife's anniversary saying he's late, or perhaps another important job interview that now he has to take the time to clean himself back up. Hell, even a rental car from an even higher boss that hates the smell of lysol would give him an excuse to be rude toward a lowly worker)

after watching this film, i'm curious to see the other comments as they trickle in...

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

10. Collapse Details
    heh heh tentacles !!
    pretty good film and very entertaining, only jaring bit that took me out of it was the cut to the rooftop scenes
    tension in the hallway from the older actor was fun to watch
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast