Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FS100 on a steadicam pilot?
    Anyone have any experience with rigging up an FS100 on a piliot? I've got access to a pilot at work, and I'm worried that my FS100, baseplate, rails, mattebox etc will put it over the weight limit. I'm also using Lomo primes, which will add a couple more pounds as well.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    I've only tried it.with the stock lens and the canon 24-70 so far, and of course its far from ideal with it being telescopic.
    Apart from that I strip the cam down... I don't have a matte box so I didn't have to worry about that extra weight.
    The stock lens won't break the limit, but the canon gets close.
    You need to attach everything you think you need to the cam and then weigh it.
    It should weigh in at no more than 4.5kg. If it weighs more, start working backwards removing things you can do without till you hit the mark.

Also be aware that the pilot is very sensitive to wind

3. Collapse Details
    I think it will work with kit lens or a small nikon lens like the 28

I dont think it will work with rails/mb/follow focus and cine glass

S

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Anyone have any experience with rigging up an FS100 on a piliot? I've got access to a pilot at work, and I'm worried that my FS100, baseplate, rails, mattebox etc will put it over the weight limit. I'm also using Lomo primes, which will add a couple more pounds as well.
    Yep owned the Steadicam Pilot Arm/Vest combo for about 2 months. The NEX-FS100 with it's ergonomics is very well balanced for this type of application.

Used the kit 18mm to 200mm lens as well as the 16mm pancake lens. Works great. The only downside was the vest as it was made of glue and velcro, the vest broke twice. Got it repaired by Tiffen but eventually sold it off. Would prefer to use the Scout combo or replace the cheap Pilot vest with the upgraded metal version.

Right now I am using the handheld Steadicam Merlin instead. I find it has better control when handheld. But this configuration limits me to the 16mm pancake E-Mount lens due to weight.

5. Collapse Details
    Hmm, well I guess I will find out. I'm going to need to have the FS100 set up with a matte box, since we will be shooting outside in the sun. I'll do a test run on Thursday and post my results here!
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."

6. Collapse Details
    Why not shoot with normal lens hoods? You don't need a mattebox, unless your workflow and colleagues demand it. Just weigh that camera, your arm will only support so much... or are you shooting without arm and vest? I think the pilot itself can withstand a bit more than those 4.5 kg. (but ouch my arm and back :S)

7. Collapse Details
    True, I may as well just tape a polarizer onto the lens. Sadly since I'm using lomo cinema lenses they have an odd thread size so I can't normally screw anything on.

As usual I completely overlook the most obvious answer!
    Last edited by robmneilson; 08-29-2011 at 07:47 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by legrevedotcom View Post
    Why not shoot with normal lens hoods? You don't need a mattebox, unless your workflow and colleagues demand it. Just weigh that camera, your arm will only support so much... or are you shooting without arm and vest? I think the pilot itself can withstand a bit more than those 4.5 kg. (but ouch my arm and back :S)
    The pilot must be used with an ARM/VEST. It is not made to be used standalone, only the Merlin is or the ones from Glidecam.

9. Collapse Details
    Yep using this with an arm and vest of course.

10. Collapse Details
    Actually it can ve used without, dont know where you got the idea that it can't. Take a look at all the DIY people. One of the most basic of models is a primitive pilot and is usable...however note also that I never said that this was the correct way to use it.
    The purpose of the vest and arm is nothing more than to take the weight of the mounted cam ( in very rough terms...... ) asides from letting you use your body to fly it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast