Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony NEX/Axx Firmware hacking
    Hi,

I have started firmware hacking project, current plan is to dump and decrypt complete firmware.
    Currently I'm reversing flashing protocol used for FW upgrading, hoping for some undocumented commands.
    Also as mentioned on WIKI, XORing firmware files produces short blocks of clear text.
    This suggests file isn't really encrypted, just XORed with pseudo-random sequence that is static among ALL compatible cameras.
    After some research, I found this is same for all Alpha Axx and NEX series. This indicates common firmware is used in all these models.
    Pattern is different for compact cameras like HX5 and VG video cameras.
    From parts of firmware, I can see there is debug console with commands to read/write memory and other interesting stuff.

So far, I have found one interesting feature in Firmware updater:
    Create empty FirmwareUpdater.log file in updater directory (where SPUFirmwareUpdater.exe is).
    When updater finds this file, it will be used for nicely detailed debug logging of all data send and received.
    I have already updated my camera firmware, but if anyone here will be doing firmware upgrade (Axx,NEX or LA-EA1),
    please enable logging and upload the log. It will greatly help me with understanding the protocol.

EDIT: If you can, run firmware updater on already updated camera (just to the point it says camera version, then close it).
    I have only NEX3 log file, logs for other cameras are welcome (even without actual flashing).

More good stuff will come soon...

p.s. I'm well known for other similar projects, but Sony isn't really happy when hackers are having fun and likes to sue and cause problems...
    So I will be posting under this new user without any link to my previous work.
    Last edited by Nexus7; 08-25-2011 at 01:04 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    There is this this nice connector in VG10 with two UARTs and even JTAG port.
    In firmware, there is 112500Bd console active on one UART with servicing commands and possible shell access.
    Also it may be possible to read full flash image using JTAG or upload dumper code to RAM and execute it.
    There are also test points for all these pins, some near CPU, some directly behind connector.
    Similar connector is in NEX series, but I don't have LEVEL 2 service manual to confirm it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Collapse Details
    Is it safe (and do you want) to spread this information on other forums?

4. Collapse Details
    Hack the VG10 to do 24p. You know you want to.

-Nate

MAKE YOUR MOVIE NOW!

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor/Composer/Prop Master/Action Hero
    Canon T3i/Apple Final Cut Studio 2/After Effects CS3/Action Essentials 2/Garageband 4.1.2

The Fourth Beast-2003 | Wages of Sin -2007 | Epitaph: Bread and Salt -2011

5. Collapse Details
    I'm waiting with baited breath for your offerings!.. the nex 3 and 5 are both very highly specified cameras and it is very clear sony have held back on features via their firmware to create product differentiation, and make their new nex c3 and 5n more appealing. the nex3 would benefit very much from the manual shutter/iso control during video mode.. at the moment it goes stright to auto, and you cannot set a fixed iso or shutter. also, higher bitrates, and a non cropped video mode would be welcomed. I bought the nex3 for the apsc sensor, but they only give me 2/3 of it when i am in video mode! are you any further on the project? im sure many would be willing to make donations to your cause, instead of buying a new 5n, nex 7 or c3, which technically are no better than the originals!

6. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    I wish someone would hack the FS100.

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

7. Collapse Details
    Hi I am a NEX3 owner who really wants to have remote trigger via the UART that you mentioned before. This would allow things like triggertrap to control an NEX camera! Any updates on the hack?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    I wish someone would hack the FS100.

Frank
    If someone would undertake this, I would gladly donate many tens of dollars!
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

9. Collapse Details
    Confirmation of the nice connector on Nex-3/5 for the Image Processor, contains JTAG, UART0 and UART1 (UART2 is pin 3 & 4 of the lens connector) for the Image Processor - http://i.imgur.com/hv4sz.jpg

Main CPU JTAG is on the underside - http://i.imgur.com/8WoJS.jpg

Service Manuals (level 2 and 3) for Nex-3/5 can be found at http://www.2shared.com/file/k4EZ0W0m/Sony_nex-3-5_service_manual.html

Would love to see a FirmwareUpdater.log file, any further progress regarding the firmware decryption?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    If someone would undertake this, I would gladly donate many tens of dollars!
    Me too! Vitaliy?
    Yeah, the village called; they want their idiot back.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast