Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Somebody do something! I need this fest....it keeps my dark heart pumping.

Lets do something evil, like hold a sit-in. I'm not leaving this thread until this issue is set strait.
    Last edited by October Black; 08-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm feelin' Undead. I don't think it needs to be so narrow as to just be zombies and vampires. Seems like there could be lots of ways to interpret it, but I've also thought pretty much the same thing as Darkline. Why do these fests need to be so cleverly nuanced about genres? I think Horror and Drama should be seasonal constants, but maybe one fest could be the wild card each year.

IMHO, 48hr fests really work better at the local level. I've done a few and for the most part they were fun, but much of what Matt spelled out really does ring true to my own experiences.

Now, I'm imagining that an online 48hr fest will be a tougher sell as far as a filmmaker's ability to get quality local talent mobilized and ready to sacrifice their weekend.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't like zombies, mainly because I only have one good zombie story in me. Everything else zombie has been done to death...then it came back and took a shot gun to the head.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    I don't like zombies, mainly because I only have one good zombie story in me. Everything else zombie has been done to death...then it came back and took a shot gun to the head.
    I don't know... The little 'short' in front of "A Serious Man"(2009) introduced the masses to a Dybbuk... there's always a Golem as well...

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, I have NOT read the rest of this thread, aside from the first post. My vision behind the 48 hour festival is to give a MONTH OR MORE of pre-production time. My idea was to mirror another "timed" festival I was a part of which allowed as much pre-production as needed before the festival, but production and post had to happen at that time. Is this something more suitable for your ideas?
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    I don't think if you give a 48-hour fest that much preproduction time it can be called a 48-hour fest. It's a facade. Just keep the rules so uber simple. Set up dates but a "month" to prepare, seriously, just call it another fest.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

7. Collapse Details
    Something I honestly like about a "timed" festival, even with allowing more pre-production is that I can simply lock in those dates, and say that's all the time I'm taking to make a film, that's it, two days. Done.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

8. Collapse Details
    so, my bad getting caught up in the moment of another deadline looming, and knowing you guys would be pissed at me if I dropped the annoucnement the day before the shoot And, beginning to feel like the 48fest thing was adding to the problem, rather than creating a bit of breathing room to address some more fundamental infrastructure changes that need doing for dvxfest. I was thinking in that line, and didn't consider it beyond that at the time I posted it. So, my bad. Thanks, matt for reminding me

Seriously... you guys have motivated me. I love it that there are people who care enough (and don't have to) and will spend the time to make a thread like this.

Working on some revised rules (simplified and such ) right now. will try to post tonight for our standard fall fest.

we will do a 48fest as well, b/c it is a different beast, and there are different muscles to flex, and different reasons why it may appeal to some. Maybe we'll do it during hte lull of this fest midway through or something as a side thing... Or, maybe as suggested we'll give it a shot in lieu of a winter fest or something. we'll see.

(EDIT: And, that was not a confirmation of UNDEAD FEST... Just that we will do a traditional dvxuser fall/horror themed fest.)

Later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

9. Collapse Details
    Yesss!

10. Collapse Details
    I think a 48-hour fest in addition to the usual ones could be really fun, but - as some folks above have mentioned - not in the fall. Everyone gets excited about the Halloween theme and probably wouldn't want to divert their energies and $$ towards another one.

On a brief tangent - I may be in the minority here but I preferred the days of little-to-no "marketing" for the films. Say, back in the 2005 zombie-fest, we couldn't post posters, BTS or anything other than a synopsis and occasional reports until after the voting. I preferred that... made it more about the films standing on their own merits and less about the hype, or how they were made. Probably something that's been debated a bunch before - just wanted to add my cents.

(edit: Jason just posted above, so ignore my first paragraph!)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast