Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    UNDEAD FEST 2011 or WHY DVXFESTER'S FEST-BITCHING HAS BACKFIRED ON US
    PRELUDE

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, this is just an open letter to everyone who is salivating for the next great fest.
    And I am certainly not mod bashing, as i really appreciate everything all the mods do.
    This is just food for thought.

---------------------------------

CHAPTER 1 - THE BACKSTORY

During Villainfest, there was a lot of griping towards mods and the fest in general:

1. The streaming annoyed some people. I don't stream, i download zips, so i didn't care.

2. Mod participation annoyed some people, uploads were delayed, people complained, mods apologized. No big deal.

3. Newbies complained about the rules being described in an overly complicated manner, despite being so simple.
    This I agree with, but it's still an easy fix. The rules page just needs to be brief and concise. Not multiple paragraphs in length.

4. Newbies complained about not knowing when the fests started. Although this is a doofus problem,
    I do feel the fests should be promoted more heavily throughout dvxuser.com, but we'll get to that later.

THE RESULT: Mods apologized, they have lives, they do this for free, things slipped through the cracks but they
    acknowledged the concerns of the people, and they vowed to make changes. And the fest turned out fine, actually it was a great fest per usual!

But the complaining made mods regroup as hungry filmmakers circled the wagons with pitchforks and torches.
    The mods announced that they needed time to revise the rules, figure out a new fest, and that in the meantime we
    will have a 48 Hour Fest. A fest genre that is certain to churn out rushed, weak films that are far below the capacity
    of the filmmaker's who's lives depend on these fests. (HAWK)

CHAPTER 2 - GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

Turning the next dvxuser fest into a 48 hourfest might sound intriguing at first, but ultimately it is the wrong move IMHO.

I'd like to confront the elephant in the room head on.
    We don't really want to do a 48 hour fest. We want a real, 3 month long fest so we can develop our scripts, our scores,
    our poster art, audition actors, fire actors, then re-hire actors once we realize we have no other actors etc.

Mods, It's not too late! Just announce a cool as hell fest ASAP, rules can come later!
    Keep the tried and true dvxfest schedule and keep the fall fest as something horror.
    You want participants? Go with UNDEAD FEST. Done. That is a winner!

UNDEAD FEST. START DATE: TODAY. END DATE: OCT 31st

(My alternate idea, SCARE FEST, is also something that would spark filmmaker's imaginations)

CHAPTER 3 - DVX 48 HOUR FEST PROS AND CONS

PROS:

1. Noone has to give a crap until the rules are announced on a friday night in the near future.
    Then everyone scrambles, gives up their weekend (which is impossible if you have a wife and kids)
    and tries to throw together a half-assed short film.

I'm not saying you can't make a solid short in a weekend, but how many of us will? We then will watch
    and review everyone's movies on Monday while we are wired off sugar free red bulls and 5 hour
    energy IV drips. The reviews will be harsh because the films will be rushed and lacking.
    Filmmaker's will be defending their films saying "what the hell do you expect? I had 48 hours??"

Sorry, I know this was supposed to be pros but that's the real deal scenario.

CONS:

1. Lack of participants - this will be the lowest entered fest of all time. Guaranteed. Lock.
    Blink and you'll miss this fest.

2. The films, having no time for preproduction, will all be shot in everyone's kitchen
    and will have a drug deal gone bad and someone with a hand gun killing a bad guy with an eye patch.

3. Filmmaker's who can't do everything themselves will have sloppy sound, apple loops as score,
    and horrendous movie posters.

4. Aside from #3, just in general, it will be difficult to finish your movie. We will see a bunch of director's
    come Sunday night saying "Sorry I just couldn't get my movie done because __ and __ fell through."

CHAPTER 4 - CONCLUSION

Mods, we want a fest to sink our teeth into, not a fest that, by dvuserfest standards, is an afterthought.
    We love you and appreciate you, and the fests were fine as is, aside from some nitpicks. Let's stay
    on the classic track of a horror fest come Halloween 2011. Everyone wants it.

Filmmaker's back me up. I am the voice of the voiceless. I know that you know that I am speaking
    for your deepest desires. You want UNDEAD FEST to happen, and you already have ideas in your head.
    And you want to start on your script and concept art now.

Let us unite and work towards THE GREATEST BUZZ-WORTHY FEST OF ALL TIME.

UNDEAD FEST 2011! START DATE: TODAY. END DATE: OCT 31st!

(or we can just go with 48 hour fest if that's what people want).

Last edited by Matt Harris; 08-18-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

2. Collapse Details
    Short answer: the 48hr fest is not in any way a replacement for our typical 3-month festivals. It is in addition to, not instead of.

3. Collapse Details
    Great! I thought I read Jason saying it would replace the next next, and that we'd all regroup in December and go from there.

I'm just pushing for a fall horror fest.
    Matt Harris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE

4. Collapse Details
    You make some really good points, Matt. I agree with quite a bit of what you said. I'm in no way knocking a 48-hour film fest, but it's not an intriguing idea to me. Now, it may be a really good exercise in pre-production and quick editing, but I also believe the films will really suffer. It's hard enough trying to make a good film in three months and think of all the polishing going on throughout the editing process then. Even still, your film may still have some issues (technically) that you did not have time to fix. I think the question is do you want to see a good/great film (something to aspire to or learn from) or do you want to see a film that somebody threw together boasting that at least they got it finished? Just my two cents.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

5. Collapse Details
    I'm not aware of Jason having said something like that. If he did, that's news to me, but I haven't kept up as much with everything as I probably should. However, I know when we discussed it, the 48Hr fest was intended originally to be a supplemental, bonus fest. Because some people don't want to commit three months and thousands of dollars to a fest film, so we're trying to reach out and expand the fest to include folks who aren't up for such a huge venture, but would love to have a fun and crazy filmmaking weekend, rushing against other DVXUsers around the globe...

6. Collapse Details
    Marlon you summed up my long winded soapbox far better. What you said is what i meant.

Barry, I'm on the same page as you. Had you guys announced a new 4 month fest, and said the 48 hour fest is an added bonus, I would be stoked!
    I just don't want to have the 48 hour fest be the only thing for the next 3-4 months.
    Matt Harris

7. Collapse Details
    Okay, I just saw the post you guys were talking about. Hmmm. Will consult with Jason.

8. Collapse Details
    Nah, Matt, I think you were as thorough as you needed to be. Barry, "rushing against other dvxusers around the globe" does make it sound a bit more inviting though. A race against time - not a bad pitch.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

9. Collapse Details
    Where's movie master when you need him? Movie master, chime in! you love fall horror fests.
    Matt Harris

10. Collapse Details
    I am game for another fest that I can spend some time on and undead is perfect for me. Lets do it. I love you Mod's seriously I couldn't give up that much of my free time to do all you do. So I say lay off newbies and STHU!!!

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast