Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why some actors don't like rehearsals?
    I don't mean the obvious reasons like lack of time or interest in some cases.I've done workshops on directing actors and read some good books - Judith Weston's directing actors, and some not so good books like... Never mind . But I never quiet understood why some actors in interviews say that they don't like to rehearse ? Is it because actors who work more intuitively are afraid that they may 'nail it' at the rehearsals and then of course not be able to give the same identical performance on the actual shoot? So, I guess my question is , which type of actors don't like ( and dont benefit from) rehearsals? I'm asking this because Ill be shooting my first short soon and I WILL do rehearsals. Just wondering how should I handle it. How do I get the ' feel' of how each actor work if I haven't worked with them before.

2. Collapse Details
    Curious what actors in what interviews have said that they don't like to rehearse. Have any examples? Every good actor I know appreciates and recognizes the value of rehearsal, and I've never had an actor tell me he/she wished he/she wouldn't like more rehearsal time. Now, good things do sometimes happen spontaneously in rehearsal that you might never get on camera, and the same thing happens when you roll camera, special things can happen if you have good actors, and these moments tend to occur more often when my actors have had more time to really know and own the scene -- once they've really *got it* they are able to flex a bit more during the scene. Rehearsal adds to the actor's confidence, and it definitely comes across on screen.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I agree with apocolypto.

Rehearsals, reads etc. give the actors a really great perspective of each scene and the overall beat of the movie.

Some actors don't like the discipline side of it so I let them ad lib or mess around with the sides at the rehearsals. My priority is for them to have mental ammo when they think about their scene. Especially important is their understanding of the other roles around them so that the chemistry flows as smoothly as possible.

4. Collapse Details
    I recently heard Jmes McAvoy at the 2008 Oscar's Roundtable saying he doesn't like rehearsals ...Also read somewhere about , I Think not sure, Diane Keaton , that she can't take too many directions. I'm not talking about blocking, but for acting directions. Like when you ask you actor to make an adjustment , but you say a little ' too much ' . ( Even if you didn't give them a result oriented direction ).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask_the_dusk View Post
    I'm asking this because Ill be shooting my first short soon and I WILL do rehearsals. Just wondering how should I handle it. How do I get the ' feel' of how each actor work if I haven't worked with them before.
    How did you cast him in the first place? Did you not meet up with him for how ever long it takes to suss out every single aspect of his involvement in the upcoming gig?

------------------------------------

If an actor says he won't rehearse and you accept that, how do you tell everyone else in the production, you got trouble right from the get go. Your lead gal is not going to do the nude scene .. I can tell you that.

Cheers.
    35yrs with our own a/v production company and studios.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, IMO, rehearsals can sometimes create preconceived notions on how one should react in the mind of the actors, rather than allow the actors to react more freely and honestly as if it's the first time they've heard the words coming from their screen partner's lips. Spontaneity is a big telling point in whether or not a performance seems 'acted' or not. The worry of many professional level actors is that the director will become married to line readings and moments in the rehearsal that won't necessarily be truthful moments during filming. I heard recently that Brando never memorized his lines (not 100% on the validity of this) because in real life one never knows what one is going to say, and you can tell the difference. I was told he had his lines placed in various places off camera.

7. Collapse Details
    You're probably way too young to remember the old Jackie Gleason Show on Prime Time TV back in the fifties, it was a live weekly sitcom. They would rehearse all week for the live show that went on TV, all except for Jackie. A stand-in for Gleason would rehearse with the troupe all week and then the first and only time the cast would perform with Gleason was during the live telecast! The show was number one in the ratings and it's spontaneity was very much due to the fact everyone was on adrenaline not knowing what ad-lib line Gleason would come up with. During the week he would golf and deal with production issues. Of course he probably rehearsed with Paul Newman in the Hustler, but I don't know. Gleason was a natural.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vic777 View Post
    You're probably way too young to remember the old Jackie Gleason Show on Prime Time TV back in the fifties, it was a live weekly sitcom. They would rehearse all week for the live show that went on TV, all except for Jackie. A stand-in for Gleason would rehearse with the troupe all week and then the first and only time the cast would perform with Gleason was during the live telecast! The show was number one in the ratings and it's spontaneity was very much due to the fact everyone was on adrenaline not knowing what ad-lib line Gleason would come up with. During the week he would golf and deal with production issues. Of course he probably rehearsed with Paul Newman in the Hustler, but I don't know. Gleason was a natural.
    That's great, actually!

I think a lot of people unfortunately mistake their own lack of understanding of the art of acting for the supposed 'lack of discipline' of actors in general. Sure, there are lazy actors, but I wouldn't think there are any more than lazy writers and and lazy directors. In fact, in my experience, there is no other art form as wholly intensive.

9. Collapse Details
    Vic777,... vcassel, that's great input. Tricky though.Raster - to answer your question : I haven't cast anyone yet. I'm trying to understand some things about rehearsing and how actors work, before I do the auditions.

10. Collapse Details
    I've directed actors of all levels from amatuer to professional. And I can tell you this. Rehearsals are very important, especially for complex blocking. Not only are rehearsals important, table reads are just as important if not more. It's a heck of a lot easier to change out lines that dont sound good then , than on set while crews are waiting. Although sometimes you have no choice. It's not a bad idea to tell the actors you cast, when casting them that you will have mandatory rehearsals. If they dont want to rehearse, at least you know right then and there, and you can decide if you their not the right person for the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast