1. Collapse Details
    48 Hour fest - Will this be a true 48 or something that is preplanned?
    There's been talk about what type of fest this will be. From my understanding of 48 hour film fest held in San Jose they start Friday night and end Sunday night with whole film uploaded.

Usually there is a line of text that an actor has to say to make sure the script was not written in advance. A genre can be selected as well, depends on the fest.

I imagine with this being the first ever 48 hour fest for this forum the rules might be not as difficult as other 48 hour fests. I'm hoping the Mods gives the guys early evening Friday to start instead of 9pm Friday. All the rules are posted just as the fest starts, in these type of fests.

I entered a 48-hour script fest and I did not get the premise line until late Friday night California time (which made it harder for east coasters) and had until Sunday evening to turn it in. That was the first round. I did not make cut to second round which was a one-day fest. The final round was an in-house writing contest. Talk about pressure to make the top.

So my hope is that the Mods consider the time zones for everyone. Friday at 6pm California time is 9pm New York time. Not quite as fair just because you live in a different time zone.

I'm hoping they will allow for early enough time for all time zones. That's a big consideration if anything at all.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

2. Collapse Details
    Well theres a number of things to consider - one being this website caters to a global audience so those things will be worked out. Remember also the point of the fests is to be inclusive as possible.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Well theres a number of things to consider - one being this website caters to a global audience so those things will be worked out. Remember also the point of the fests is to be inclusive as possible.
    My suggestion that I made in another thread, was to have a page that generates a unique 'ticket', so, a contestant would access the site during some given 24 hour period, take a ticket, and then submit a film within 48 hours of receiving the ticket. Perhaps the only 'mod' would be 'one ticket per registered user'... I mean come on... this aint the Irish Lottery... where one can win millions...

Don't know if the 'site mavins' here could do a php module to do that...

So, it would not exactly be 48 hours for The World, just the filmmaker would be under the gun.

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    My suggestion that I made in another thread, was to have a page that generates a unique 'ticket', so, a contestant would access the site during some given 24 hour period, take a ticket, and then submit a film within 48 hours of receiving the ticket. Perhaps the only 'mod' would be 'one ticket per registered user'...
    I don't think that works. What if the requirement leaks out?

Suppose a "possible filmmaker" gets their ticket and finds out the requirements, then hands them over to a buddy who waits 24 hours before grabbing "their ticket".
    Now they still have 48 hours to work on it. Basically giving him/her 72 hours total in the long run. That could be a full day to script and location scout. Not too shabby.

Not saying that someone would do this, but it could happen. My mind is devious.

Just announce the Fest start date well in advance, then the specifics the day of the fest. Time zones will even out in the end.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I don't think that works. What if the requirement leaks out?

Suppose a "possible filmmaker" gets their ticket and finds out the requirements, then hands them over to a buddy who waits 24 hours before grabbing "their ticket".
    Now they still have 48 hours to work on it. Basically giving him/her 72 hours total in the long run. That could be a full day to script and location scout. Not too shabby.

Not saying that someone would do this, but it could happen. My mind is devious.

Just announce the Fest start date well in advance, then the specifics the day of the fest. Time zones will even out in the end.
    The 48 hour fest programs that I'm aware of have several items that are required, character, prop, dialog, genre, along with the time stamp, all these could be encrypted, along with the user's name, such that
    if buddy got their ticket at 00:01 UTC on day X, and friend got their ticket at 23:59 UTC, their tickets would have different requirements, with perhaps some possibility of some 'similarities'...

For example, using C, P, D, and G, and have say 5 different choices in each category, that allows for 5^4 'different' combinations, and would cover even the greatest outpouring of competitors
    that any of the fests have ever had... well... ok, I don't know if any fest has had 625 contestants...

And while there may be only a few 'genres', the other items are not limited to just 5... which would increase the required items list significantly...

6. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j1clark@ucsd.edu View Post
    The 48 hour fest programs that I'm aware of have several items that are required, character, prop, dialog, genre, along with the time stamp, all these could be encrypted, along with the user's name, such that
    if buddy got their ticket at 00:01 UTC on day X, and friend got their ticket at 23:59 UTC, their tickets would have different requirements, with perhaps some possibility of some 'similarities'...

For example, using C, P, D, and G, and have say 5 different choices in each category, that allows for 5^4 'different' combinations, and would cover even the greatest outpouring of competitors
    that any of the fests have ever had... well... ok, I don't know if any fest has had 625 contestants...

And while there may be only a few 'genres', the other items are not limited to just 5... which would increase the required items list significantly...
    Sounds like a lot of work.

Aside from that, assigning different stipulations/requirements of each filmmaker doesn't exactly create an equal playing field. Some may be deemed more difficult than others.

I say keep it simple.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

7. Collapse Details
    Sounds like the inmates want control of the asylum.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    Sounds like the inmates want control of the asylum.
    You only have 48 hours to orchestrate a revolt against Nurse Ratched, save Grima Wormtongue, get the Indian to bash out the window, and escape.