Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shoulder Mount recommendation
    I use a shoulder support with my GH1 currently, and I've loved its performance, but it's dying a slow and painful death, so I need to replace it. What shoulder mounts have you used and liked, or would you recommend? Inexpensive ones would be nice, but it still needs to be very durable, functional, and comfortable, since I shoot more with the shoulder mount than I do with a tripod.

2. Collapse Details
    Just picked up a shoulder rig from Express35. http://express35.com/
    Love it. Compact and not ostentatious. All metal, matte black, no goofy colors or logos. Solid as a rock. Didn't break the bank either. I picked up the Shoulder Rig Event - In Line, listed at $339.99 right now! Amazing deal. It's based on an ENG setup and was designed with the GH2 in mind. I picked up the carry handle and a quick release plate with it and came out just over $400. Email Chris at express35.com@gmail.com. He was very helpful and answered questions quickly.

3. Collapse Details
    I've heard good things about this shoulder mount ($170):
    http://shop.ebay.com/care-mart/m.htm...=dslr+shoulder

Review: http://vimeo.com/26949803
    Sol Marchessault - suggestionfmotion.com

(Formerly Jive)

4. Collapse Details
    Just like @johnnyk , I just got an Express35 rig. For me it was the Run'N Gun TRIO. It is a little more expensive (but still wayyyy under the others for the quality) but so versatile. You can use it like a straight or side shoulder rig and also (and that is the best part for me) you can adapt the pad to go in front of your chest (like a rifle).
    Otherwise sane comment, the all black and simple design makes it look professional at first sight. Also the handle are really comfortable.
    As said before, if you have any questions, email Chris at express35.com@gmail.com. He is really nice and will answer all your questions (he vent to the store and took some photos of the rig for me)
    Victor Lazaro - Director, DP, Camera Op
    twitter - @LazaroFilm
    -- www.victorlazaro.com --

Panasonic GH2
    Panasonic AG-HPX171E - P2HD
    Shoot on RED Epic from Pamoramic.tv
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    Express35 - Run n' gun shoulder rig
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

5. Collapse Details
    People chide me for this - the SpiderBrace. http://www.spiderbrace.com/index.html
    But I used it extensively with my DVX100 and it worked exactly the same as the $300 ones I tried.
    The 3-handled version is the key - freeing up your other hand whenever you need it elsewhere.
    These things are very light - made of PVC. The handles are nicely big and soft and grip easily.
    I only paid $35 bucks for mine a few years age and I would now say they are pushing it with the $80 price for the 3-handle, But if a straight-forward shoulder mount is what you want - there is no reason I can see to spend more than this.
    Also it sits firmly when you put it down. No tipping over, and also useful as a simple stand on the ground, table top, or where ever.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    People chide me for this - the SpiderBrace. http://www.spiderbrace.com/index.html
    But I used it extensively with my DVX100 and it worked exactly the same as the $300 ones I tried.
    The 3-handled version is the key - freeing up your other hand whenever you need it elsewhere.
    These things are very light - made of PVC. The handles are nicely big and soft and grip easily.
    I only paid $35 bucks for mine a few years age and I would now say they are pushing it with the $80 price for the 3-handle, But if a straight-forward shoulder mount is what you want - there is no reason I can see to spend more than this.
    Also it sits firmly when you put it down. No tipping over, and also useful as a simple stand on the ground, table top, or where ever.
    This sounds great for a hobbyist.
    The reason I did not opted for this is that facing a client with some PVC pipes is sometimes uncomfortable, especially when they already are sceptic about the LUMIX (It's a GH2!)
    Also I like the versatility of the universal 15mm rod system for attachments (follow, matte box etc...)
    Nonetheless, this looks like a great super cheap solution.
    twitter - @LazaroFilm

Panasonic GH2
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

7. Collapse Details
    Would most of these mounts work for a GH1 as well?
    Cinemabyte - your source for independent filmmaking on the web.
    Like us on Facebook!

8. Collapse Details
    I just got this one from Amazon. It was only $80, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It's fully adjustable, which is a really nice feature, and doesn't look at all unprofessional to clients or your average joe (though another filmmaker would probably recognize it for what it is).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Movie_Dude_3 View Post
    Would most of these mounts work for a GH1 as well?
    These would work with ANY camera in the world. As long as it has a screw at the bottom and it is not way too heavy it will work.

Bottom line, yes GH1 will work with it.
    twitter - @LazaroFilm

Panasonic GH2
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

10. Collapse Details
    Not a shoulder mount, but it can be added to incorporate one, the support I like best at the moment is the Cinevate Simplis Dual:

http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=261

I like that it's got a lot of flexibility and room to grow. It's designed so you can add rails, follow focus, matte box, whatever you need as you grow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast