Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is any GH2 hack - so far - worth it in the real world?
    Rockin the Boat
    OK, I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, I'm just asking a question. It's pretty much agreed that the GH13 is a demonstrable improvement over the GH1.

My question: is any GH2 hack - so far - as much of a jump over the plain GH2 as the GH13 is over the GH1?

Or is it too soon to ask and we're still waiting for the great GH2 hack to come out?

I ask, because before one goes to the trouble of hacking a brand new GH2, it would be nice to know what one is getting - and I mean this in the real world. I am not so much interested in "well, if you really pixel peep at a special angle while wearing blue glasses and standing on your head, you'll see a glimmer of a difference". I mean, what concretely is better so anybody is likely to see it, or for it to have a *practical* difference if someone is using it for real film work.

Let me add, that I have full respect for the work of Vitally and all the great hackers out there who bring us these marvelous possibilities. I just want to know if it's safe to jump in at this point, or is it still early days?

2. Collapse Details
    I'll second this - I hacked one of my GH2s and really can't see any difference. But it was with the early 42Mbps hack - so have just been waiting for someone to make an obvious breakthrough. Best examples I've seen so far are with the low-GOP hacks, but still don't see anything that justifies the enormous files created.

Anyone seeing that elusive breakthrough yet?

3. Collapse Details
    Another thing to consider is that if you have to send the GH2 to Panasonic for a warranty-related repair and, even if you manage to put the Pana firmware back on before sending it out; is Panasonic going to recognize the leaked firmware (the only available firmware) as legit and will it negate the terms of the warranty?

4. Collapse Details
    the higher the bitrate in 72060p for me is the main reason to hack for slo mo. i have it and all the high avchd settings at 32mb(this is supposedly the highest you can go with zero adverse effects) then i have the 24pL settings at 24mbps now. The possibilities that im checking for still are clean hdmi out and a higher than 1080p res for the etc mode. i had it hacked all the way to 65 mbps and couldnt really see a diff in the exact same shot at stock settings. im not much of a pixel peeper tho.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    OK, I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, I'm just asking a question. It's pretty much agreed that the GH13 is a demonstrable improvement over the GH1.

My question: is any GH2 hack - so far - as much of a jump over the plain GH2 as the GH13 is over the GH1?

Or is it too soon to ask and we're still waiting for the great GH2 hack to come out?

I ask, because before one goes to the trouble of hacking a brand new GH2, it would be nice to know what one is getting - and I mean this in the real world. I am not so much interested in "well, if you really pixel peep at a special angle while wearing blue glasses and standing on your head, you'll see a glimmer of a difference". I mean, what concretely is better so anybody is likely to see it, or for it to have a *practical* difference if someone is using it for real film work.

Let me add, that I have full respect for the work of Vitally and all the great hackers out there who bring us these marvelous possibilities. I just want to know if it's safe to jump in at this point, or is it still early days?

It's certainly a different game to this time last year, when the GH1 hack was exploding. The GH2 hack seems to be plodding a bit, and I have to admit that I can't realy see any difference between the hacked and unhacked samples (but that's probably just me)

My own opinion, fwiw, is that things are about to change dramtically with the Sony Nex 7 / Apha 77. I'd lay a modest amount of money that by this time next year 50% of the people currently using GH1/GH2 will have bought a sony, and will be posting in a new DVXUser Sony forum, along with former Canon & Nikon users

Seriously - they sound amazing, and Panasonic will lose shed loads of sales to them.

6. Collapse Details
    Well it's "simple": you can't do a comparaison between the GH1 and the GH2 hack process for a reason : the stock gh1, in many aspects was crippled, and its full potential was revealed by the hack of VK. Before/after = s**tty/decent footages.

On the other hand the stock GH2 is already pretty decent : in my view, near if not better (for the footage quality and because of special stock features : crop, hdmi monitoring, etc.) than the GH13. It need some (hard) research to VK and others to fully understand the specific AVCHD encoding process to maximize the quality in a stable and "definitive" hack.

For now, some see an improvment in their footages. Fine. If you're not seeing the same thing, well, you don't have to apply the hack, be happy with the decent little camera you have and wait for the improvement that will fit your need (clean hdmi out, customizable film mode, or whatever...).

And if the comparaison between the hacked/stock GH2 appears not convincing enough to some, it seems to me more solid than the rumorish/marketing bulls**t about the tremendous quality of camera that nobody have touch so far (same old, same old)... maybe Sony enginers have done a good job, and I'll be happy to havetheir new toy ; maybe not. For now we only have the proof of their marketing skillz.

PS : excuse my french!

7. Collapse Details
    I think it's mainly because the GH2 had proper 24p from the get go. IMO the hacks do make a very real and big difference to the 1080i and 720p encodes

8. Collapse Details
    I have two GH2's. I hacked one of them to 42 Mbits. In most cases you will not see a dramatic difference. You will see a difference in
    water shots or anything else with really fine detail. I did a side by side test and could really see the difference in some shots
    I did of a pool. I did not keep the footage. But the test satisfied me that the hack was worth it.

9. Collapse Details
    The GH1 was hacked because there were issues with the footage that people wanted to fix. The hack worked quite well to resolve those issues.

The GH2 was hacked just because it could be hacked. The stock 22 mb/sec footage out of the GH2 is indistinguishable from the $5000 AF100. With that being said it doesn't mean the hack is not useful.

You can use two simple settings to allow the camera to go up to 32 mb/sec which in all honesty is plenty especially with B-frames. There are no adverse affects and the camera will operate just like the day you bought it except at a higher bit rate.

All of that might change later today though. VK is supposed to release fixes that could make the 65 mb/sec GOP 3 settings have no adverse affects and it also might raise the minimum bit rate for less complex scenes. Those less complex scenes are where I think the Hack has the most possibility to show improvement.

10. Collapse Details
    I admit it's hard to tell immediately the differences in video quality. But for me, a frequent user of ETC mode, I can say that the grain is a lot smoother. Same case for higher ISOs in normal mode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast