Thread: The Western Way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. Collapse Details
    The Western Way
    #1
    Senior Member simonpwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    740
    Default
    The Western Way

    "Some family secrets are best left untouched"

    western way copy.jpg


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    ScriptFEST Mod Chris_Keaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Default
    Touching family secrets. It sounds lewd.

    Welcome to what appears to ne a packed house. ;)
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |
    ______________________________________________
    Samurai ScriptFest: A Dream of Electric Revolution (1st Place)
    Suspense ScriptFest: A Clockwork Darkened(2nd Place)
    Trapped ScriptFest: Trapped (3rd Place)


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member simonpwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    740
    Default
    Errr....yeah; maybe 'unearthed' would be better?

    Originally I wanted to work around 'skeleton in the closet' as a tag, and came up with 'some family secrets are best left in the closet' - but that sounded like a gay coming out movie!

    I'll have to keep working on the tag....


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member simonpwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    740
    Default
    OK, so I have locked down the story. Unfortunately the story needs multiple locations and references two different times (2 generations of people), so its proving difficult to squeeze into 10 pages. A 15 page limit would be cool!
    Last edited by simonpwood; 08-12-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: synopsis removed


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member taylormade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    St.Louis area, USA
    Posts
    500
    Default
    Sounds like an interesting story, but I would be careful not to reveal too much before we get to read the actual script. Part of the fun of these fests is the unexpected.
    "If they move, kill'em!"


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member simonpwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    740
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by taylormade View Post
    Sounds like an interesting story, but I would be careful not to reveal too much before we get to read the actual script. Part of the fun of these fests is the unexpected.
    Thanks. I often find it easier to read a script if there is a short synopsis (and perhaps a little background info on the idea) so that I have an idea of the type of script I am about to read - I guess its just a personal preference. This usually applies to longer scripts, but I just got in the habit of doing this for all of my scripts.

    Hopefully I have not given too much away (rest assured I have not)!


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    ScriptFEST Mod Chris_Keaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpwood View Post
    Thanks. I often find it easier to read a script if there is a short synopsis (and perhaps a little background info on the idea) so that I have an idea of the type of script I am about to read - I guess its just a personal preference. This usually applies to longer scripts, but I just got in the habit of doing this for all of my scripts.

    Hopefully I have not given too much away (rest assured I have not)!
    But if you have to do that the script isn't that well written. Everything that the audience sees should be in the script and that is all the audience gets. They don't get the benefit of reading an intro or other details, they only get what's in the script. If the script needs additional information to make it enjoyable or understood it has problems.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |
    ______________________________________________
    Samurai ScriptFest: A Dream of Electric Revolution (1st Place)
    Suspense ScriptFest: A Clockwork Darkened(2nd Place)
    Trapped ScriptFest: Trapped (3rd Place)


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member simonpwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    740
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    But if you have to do that the script isn't that well written. Everything that the audience sees should be in the script and that is all the audience gets. They don't get the benefit of reading an intro or other details, they only get what's in the script. If the script needs additional information to make it enjoyable or understood it has problems.
    I see what you mean, but I don't mean that the 'brief' will help the readers understand the script; rather it is kind of like a synopsis. Everything mentioned above will be abundantly clear (I hope) in the actual script. As I say this comes from my own preference of having a basic idea of the type of script I am about to read (the genre, brief synopsis, that sort of thing). There are certain scripts that I am more interested in reading than others (I like mystery, thriller type, horror scripts, but I dislike reading romantic comedy scripts for instance). This came about because I felt I was able to give better feedback on certain types of stories, and unable to give helpful feedback on other genres.

    Anyhow this was just a habit I had; probably it has no place in a competition like this. I have removed the synopsis above.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member taylormade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    St.Louis area, USA
    Posts
    500
    Default
    Rest assured that people will read your script and give you plenty of feedback - some welcome, some not so welcome. I have never felt ignored when I entered a script. The poster and logline should say it all.
    "If they move, kill'em!"


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Anthony Todaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    444
    Default
    When I read the title I thought... oh a Western... then I READ it. I need mental glasses.
    What's with all these small posters? Not your fault... When the system changed here they hid the LARGE feature, unintentionally I'm sure.
    It sounds interesting. Good luck!
    SCRIPTFEST VII TOP 3 | THE MELT | WEBSITE | IMDB | EMAIL
    Wordsmith & Graphic Designer. Will work for credit, coffee and money.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •