Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Blackout-Powell Native 24p Patch v2 shows field dominance
    I've just hacked my GH1 with Blackout-Powell Native 24p Patch v2, shot a couple of seconds from my window and imported the footage over to FCP to see the clip properties.

It shows upper filed dominance when the Native 25p is checked on PTool 3.61d FW.

Isn't this odd? It should show "No field" dominance when it's true progressive right?

If someone throws some light here I'll be very appreciated.

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    bump!

72 views and not one fellow member to comment on this

Anyone? I'm sure that probably someone out there has faced the same problem! Or is just me?

3. Collapse Details
    My problem: too many posts about the same problem and posters not reading
    Quote Originally Posted by naavt View Post
    bump!

72 views and not one fellow member to comment on this

Anyone? I'm sure that probably someone out there has faced the same problem! Or is just me?
    While you perhaps have been sitting and watching, waiting for the view counter to cross this magical 72 barrier, you might as well have been actively searching for any related problems on these forums.

Of course, you may have had other things to do. So may others.
    If you aren't patient, then don't use the internet passively.
    If you want attention, undress and start running and screaming down the street.

My problem is I am seeing people being impatient.

Not a day goes by without a complaint that their needs haven't been satisfied.

I see multiple messages posted in several threads dealing with just a single problem of a single person.
    Apparently, they do think they are SO important that almost the complete community should divert their attention to them.

I even see multiple threads being started about the same problem. HELP!!!!

H E L P ! ! ! H E L P ! ! !

WTF! What is so important in your life?
    I guess food is, as a primary need. Most other things don't really matter that much.
    And we should be glad we have food.
    All else that we get, from others who are willing to contribute to our comfort in life, you should see that as a bonus.
    While you get it, enjoy it.

If you don't get it, don't complain.

I also see posters saying they don't (want to) take the time to read information that is already present.

Why? Why would you just sit back and wait, expecting others to put effort into what you apparently just can do at the time?

I really don't understand much of the world today. Well I do, these are primitive needs, as well, that cause this behavior. However, these are primitive in another way. These are more like pre-human. They lack the reason that we separates us from the (other) animals.

4. Collapse Details
    Dear Fool4UAnyway,

Sorry if my "active searching" on this forum came up with zero results. Perhaps you're a better searcher, or simply just a clever guy than I am, but FWIW I can assure you that I've searched with no avail.

Nonetheless, one thing strikes my inferior mind! What makes an illuminated person like you spend so many words about NOTHING REALLY besides your own complain, when you could have put your brilliant mind to work and help a fellow member with less words than you have spent???

5. Collapse Details
    get real
    Isn't there a mud-slinging sub-forum somewhere so you guys could have-it-out until both are satisified?

Ok. To the question, a basic question: HOW are you importing to FCP... if you are relying on log-and-transfer, and transcoding to ProRes, well you have simply un-done what LPowelll and others have spent hours doing for you, namely NATIVE progressieve, not Psf...

I have stopped using FCP and may be mistaken, but that program might just be creating progressive segmented material from true progressive, in which case, you really have nothing to worry about.

and
    Are you shooting with a PAL or NTSC camera?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetto View Post
    HOW are you importing to FCP... if you are relying on log-and-transfer, and transcoding to ProRes, well you have simply un-done what LPowelll and others have spent hours doing for you, namely NATIVE progressieve, not Psf...

I have stopped using FCP and may be mistaken, but that program might just be creating progressive segmented material from true progressive, in which case, you really have nothing to worry about.

and
    Are you shooting with a PAL or NTSC camera?
    Yes, I'm importing trough FCP Log & Transfer window to ProRes.

Using PAL

So for your answer I assume my whole workflow is wrong right?

7. Collapse Details
    @Naavt- This was a known issue with the original hack on the GH1(3)

Quote Originally Posted by ninetto View Post
    if you are relying on log-and-transfer, and transcoding to ProRes, well you have simply un-done what LPowelll and others have spent hours doing for you, namely NATIVE progressieve, not Psf...
    what?!
    What else would you transcode to? Isn't it's native codec h.264? Impossible to edit w/ in FCP. ...well not impossible, but certainly not fun.
    Zack - Alignment Productions
    BLOG
    VIMEO
    Panasonic GH-13 / Lumix 7-14mm f4 / Lumix 14-140mm f4 / Vivitar 24mm f2 / Canon FD 28mm f2.8 / Tokina SD 28-70mm f3.5 / Canon FD 50mm f1.4 / MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM / MACPRO quad 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM / Twin 23" LCD's / FCS2 / AECS4 / Atari 2600

8. Collapse Details
    what?!
    What else would you transcode to? Isn't it's native codec h.264? Impossible to edit w/ in FCP.

Please READ my entire post before screaming at me with exclamation marks. The rest of my post reads:
    What I was describing was my understanding of FCP -which I no longer use- and its work flow in wrapping 24(25)p as 50i, it is all described here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p
    Last edited by ninetto; 08-11-2011 at 05:56 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    my apologies ninetto, I really wasn't trying to 'scream'.

cheers
    z
    Zack - Alignment Productions
    BLOG
    VIMEO
    Panasonic GH-13 / Lumix 7-14mm f4 / Lumix 14-140mm f4 / Vivitar 24mm f2 / Canon FD 28mm f2.8 / Tokina SD 28-70mm f3.5 / Canon FD 50mm f1.4 / MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM / MACPRO quad 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM / Twin 23" LCD's / FCS2 / AECS4 / Atari 2600

10. Collapse Details
    I've looked at the frames produced by setting progressive mode on the GH1. It turns out that the encoding is a little different than what you would expect with progressive footage. Normally you would see all macroblocks in an I frame encoded using "intra" encoding. With the GH1 progressive mode you see half the lines (interleaved) encoded using "inter" encoding based on the previous, interleaved line. Field dominance determines which lines, even or odd, contain the reference macroblocks used for the inter encoding. In other words, progressive footage on the GH1 is actually a hybrid of interlaced and progressive, even when the progressive flag is ticked. An editor will need to know (or figure out) which lines are dominant to be able to correctly decode the images. It still looks progressive because both parts of the frame were captured at once - this is just an encoding issue.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast