Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    you could also get the bigger screw on filter you can get and use step down rings to fit your different sized lenses.

2. Collapse Details
    the number 1 reason for me owning a mattebox is to protect my lenses. plain and simple.
    Freelance Steadicam Owner/Operator
    www.joelawry.com
    www.crews.tv

3. Collapse Details
    I dont mind screwing on/off as I wouldn't be using regularly, just for outdoor wide shots/timelapse to prevent the sky blowing out,
    I'm using a 24mm FD lens, can you recommend a good grad filter for this purpose (.6?)

4. Collapse Details
    I use a Petroff with a Zucuto system. I also have a Vocas that I use for my Zeiss Compact Primes when I don't want rails.

http://www.petroff.ws/

5. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=plwells42;2403436]Shooter, is this Nikkor problem only when you're using the mattebox, or do they flare all the time?

The issues with glare can be managed by lens shades and good light control. If you need to use more than the ND filters then the mattebox becomes a useful accessory. Other than that, it seems its only purpose is to make your rig look professional. Granted, I'm not an AF100 owner yet, but I have yet to read any good counter-arguments to those points.

.......QUOTE]

The Nikkors have potential to easily flare with or without a mattebox. eg shooting product on a white BG or simply bright sky bgs. We are constantly "fighting" it.

We use the mattebox to hold and exactly position the lens mattes by using the rails etc.

Without a mattebox it is impossible. Flags and eyelids dont achieve the same amount of cut required. Our mattes are almost exactly to the outer edge of frame (as they should be).
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TubEfingers View Post
    I dont mind screwing on/off as I wouldn't be using regularly, just for outdoor wide shots/timelapse to prevent the sky blowing out,
    I'm using a 24mm FD lens, can you recommend a good grad filter for this purpose (.6?)
    I remember seeing "filter trays" that would screw onto the front of a still cam lens and then you could "drop in" filters like gradients... cokin makes these... they won't cut the glare and flair and keep your blacks black like a mattebox though.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDQQ8wIwBA#
    http://www.vimeo.com/daleanthonysmith
    http://www.youtube.com/user/multimed...ature=mhee#p/a

AF100, GH1(pair), Lumix Lenses: 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 100-300mm Nikon Lenses: 55mm macro f3.5, 50mm f1.4
    CS5 workstation 24gb RAM, ProAim Mattebox w/ 4" filters, CobraCrain Jib w/motor pan/tilt on Quickset Herculese jibpod

7. Collapse Details
    Multi-Media - Thats the kind of thing I need, thanks

8. Collapse Details
    I use the ProAim Indian Mattebox from Cinecity on Ebay.

It's been fine so far. It does add about 30 seconds to a lens changeover but I think for the added protection to the camera alone it is worth it.

And I am going to admit that one of the reasons I got it was for the way it makes the whole rig look better. The camera is pretty weird-looking without it.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Multi-Media View Post
    I remember seeing "filter trays" that would screw onto the front of a still cam lens and then you could "drop in" filters like gradients...
    When traveling I often use Lee grads in a filter holder with a compendium lens hood. The system is lightweight, & relatively compact, but resin filters are not as durable as glass.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast