Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Inexpensive mattebox?
    Looking for a mattbox for the AF.Going to use it with the Voightlander 25mm and 50mm lenses.Functional not crazy $$$$ Any suggestions?Thanks
    Foundation Digital Media
    foundationdigitalmedia.com

2. Collapse Details
    I myself have one of the indian clones (it's OK but the rotation in the filter holder is kinda iffy- I admit I got what I paid for), but this is the one I would like to upgrade to soon:

http://www.shoot35.com/products/cine...mainframe.html

3. Collapse Details
    The Genus Wideangle mattebox is pretty cheap. I just bought the Vocas MB250, which is a bit more pricey, but great.
    Freelance Steadicam Owner/Operator
    www.joelawry.com
    www.crews.tv

4. Collapse Details
    Genus has a single stage sunshade.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnf View Post
    Looking for a mattbox for the AF.Going to use it with the Voightlander 25mm and 50mm lenses.Functional not crazy $$$$ Any suggestions?Thanks
    Why do you think you need a mattebox is my first question?

We have found that the Nikkors we use ( see my sig)...all have the potential to flare unless extreme caution and control is used.

This is not a CAMERA ISSUE but...we have never seen this as pronounced as we do when using still lenses on a "movie" camera. (AF102) esp. the zooms.

We now go to fairly extreme lengths to mask the lens on the mattebox. ie mattes made form masking tape. we are currently getting mattes cut to fit and suit the lens kit. These all need to mount to a Matte Box.

Buy cheap with caution!
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

6. Collapse Details
    I guess it depends on how much you are going to use it and also if others besides you are going to handle it. I got the Proaim from Cinecity (no, not Fellini's studio... the one in India). It has a french flag and side shades plus two rotating filter stages and is OK for careful use. It has a decent set of rails and for the price, it can't be beat. I don't use it with the 14-140, but it's great for the 7-14, and especially with the 20mm pancake. That lens has no hood and it really helps with the appearance as well as light control. I can still use my 4X4 polarizer and gradient as well as the diffusion filter for interviews. I don't think it would hold up to using for rentals or all-day-every-day type use. In my case, I'm a writer/producer/editor, so on any one project, I am only shooting for days and then there are weeks on each end with pre and post activities... I'm OK.
    http://www.vimeo.com/daleanthonysmith
    http://www.youtube.com/user/multimed...ature=mhee#p/a

AF100, GH1(pair), Lumix Lenses: 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 100-300mm Nikon Lenses: 55mm macro f3.5, 50mm f1.4
    CS5 workstation 24gb RAM, ProAim Mattebox w/ 4" filters, CobraCrain Jib w/motor pan/tilt on Quickset Herculese jibpod

7. Collapse Details
    I like the Shoot35 mattebox. It's on sale now. But due to my lensing, it'll be difficult to get all my lenses to batch with the rubber bellows.

8. Collapse Details
    Shooter, is this Nikkor problem only when you're using the mattebox, or do they flare all the time?

Johnf, the impression I get from the AF100 - (and echoed in Shooter's question "Why do you think you need a mattebox..." - is that there really is no glaring need for a mattebox since the camera comes with dial-in ND filters. The issues with glare can be managed by lens shades and good light control. If you need to use more than the ND filters then the mattebox becomes a useful accessory. Other than that, it seems its only purpose is to make your rig look professional. Granted, I'm not an AF100 owner yet, but I have yet to read any good counter-arguments to those points.

There was also the issue mentioned by a couple of people of the mattebox saving the camera when the rig tipped over, so maybe the mattebox can be justified for that reason. I can definitely see the appeal of spending $850 on a mattebox vs. stopping production while you get your camera fixed.

9. Collapse Details
    If I wanted to use grad filters is my only option a matte box?

10. Collapse Details
    No, it is not your only option. There are filters that can screw into the front of your lens. The drawback to this is that every time you want to use the filter you need to screw it on and then screw it back off when you're done. Plus if you want to use it on more than one lens, each lens has to have the same thread size otherwise you'll need multiple filters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast