Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The 100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch produces the highest bitrates and finest image quality I have seen under extremely low-light conditions. As noted above, it is however limited to recording 30p videos up to a maximum file size of 2GB. On the GH1, MJPEG HD mode was capable of encoding in 4:2:2 color depth as well. Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that the GH2 can be successfully patched to support 4:2:2 color.

In other respects, the MJPEG encoder works similarly on the GH2 as on the GH1. The MJPEG patches in the current version of PTool have demonstrated a reliable track record over time, enabling me to promptly publish a fully-tested, stable patch for the MJPEG encoder on the GH2. Patches for the GH2's AVCHD encoder are still under active development, and have demonstrated great potential for enhancing its performance beyond the limits of the GH1. Once reliable results are demonstrated at high bitrates with the GH2 AVCHD encoder, I plan on publishing patches to cover the full range of its capabilities.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    The 100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch produces the highest bitrates and finest image quality I have seen under extremely low-light conditions. As noted above, it is however limited to recording 30p videos up to a maximum file size of 2GB. On the GH1, MJPEG HD mode was capable of encoding in 4:2:2 color depth as well. Unfortunately, it appears unlikely that the GH2 can be successfully patched to support 4:2:2 color.

In other respects, the MJPEG encoder works similarly on the GH2 as on the GH1. The MJPEG patches in the current version of PTool have demonstrated a reliable track record over time, enabling me to promptly publish a fully-tested, stable patch for the MJPEG encoder on the GH2. Patches for the GH2's AVCHD encoder are still under active development, and have demonstrated great potential for enhancing its performance beyond the limits of the GH1. Once reliable results are demonstrated at high bitrates with the GH2 AVCHD encoder, I plan on publishing patches to cover the full range of its capabilities.
    That's great news lpowell. Very excited to see the patches for AVCHD encoder - or to be more specific 1080/24p.

1080/25p patch is out of the question, right?
    "Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world." - Jean-Luc Godard

3. Collapse Details
    At this point, 1080p25 on the GH2 looks to be very unlikely. However, the last word on this matter will no doubt go to Vitaliy...

4. Collapse Details
    The 100mbps patch videos look very good. I was wondering if anyone has tried installing the "leaked" Panasonic firmware, (apparently the only version available right now), back onto a GH2? It would seem important for that to be a sure thing, in the event it needs to be reverted back to.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, you can revert back to default firmware. If you place the "leaked" firmware onto your memory card, it should "upgrade"... reverting you back to your original firmware. (havent tried this myself, but in theory this should work just fine for you).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    ... Patches for the GH2's AVCHD encoder are still under active development, and have demonstrated great potential for enhancing its performance beyond the limits of the GH1. Once reliable results are demonstrated at high bitrates with the GH2 AVCHD encoder, I plan on publishing patches to cover the full range of its capabilities.
    Very good news! May I ask how long it will most likely take until publishing - just a rough estimate... 1-2 weeks, 1 month...?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Yes, you can revert back to default firmware. If you place the "leaked" firmware onto your memory card, it should "upgrade"... reverting you back to your original firmware. (havent tried this myself, but in theory this should work just fine for you).
    Thanks.
    That's what I was wondering, if anyone has actually tried the leaked firmware.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Lansing View Post
    May I ask how long it will most likely take until publishing - just a rough estimate... 1-2 weeks, 1 month...?
    Hard to say, but Vitaliy is currently working on a significant update to PTool. Until then, I'll be investigating some of the more technical patches.

9. Collapse Details
    Thx lpowell for the info.

Before I installed the lpowell mjpeg patch I made some quick shots in my garden. And after that a few with the hack + patch. Here are just two. The first one is always the footage without the patch. It´s definitely not scientific but perhaps it can be helpful for someone...
    Kit Lens 14-140

http://www.vimeo.com/26958765

Password: mjpeg_patch

10. Collapse Details

http://www.vimeo.com/26999303

password: mjpeg_noise

The first shot is the unhacked one. - Now you´ll see a big difference between the stock footage and the lpowell patch - more noise with the unhacked one and more detail with the lpowell patch. Take a closer look especially at the clay pot and the grass at the beginning. And stop it somewhere in the middle and look at the leafs on the right and the cedar branches on the left. Because vimeo does always reduce the noise quite a bit feel free to download the mp4 file.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast