1. Collapse Details
    GH13 vs GH2vk with exact same camera settings
    I don't normally post threads, but I want to diffuse any FUD by placing this somewhere visible.
    Same lens, f-stop, focal length, WB, focus distance. The one thing that bugs me about this is the diffraction of the lens caused by stopping down past f8, so some details are lost.

Both cameras using smooth at -2 -2 0 -2.

The differences I see between the two:

Granularity/downsampling method of the 1080p mode is slightly more pleasing with the GH2. This results in slightly less aliasing on very sharp lines, not that anyone will ever see aliasing with either camera in a real situation.
    Edge enhancement is a tiny bit less in 1080p, and significantly less in 720p mode on the GH2.

Is it a reason to upgrade? Not if your happy with your GH1. If you are buying a new camera, you should just go for the GH2 - as it does surpass the hacked GH1 in every way now. Both are very good cameras and will intercut with each other very easily.

PNG stills available from every mode from this link: http://www.multiupload.com/HH5P16DKGZ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plasmasmp; 07-20-2011 at 12:43 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    may I ask what your settings for the GH2 were ? you mentioned gh1 was 75mbps settings? thanks

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting. What was the bitrate and GOP of the GH13 720p?

The effective exposures of the two 24P clips are different - is that because the way Panasonic has rated the ISO for the two cameras differs? Or did the light change?

EDit: @Blues - mousing over the png suggests 44mbps for the 24P GH2vk

4. Collapse Details
    Ptool 3.61D
    720p SH mode
    48mb high
    35mb low
    GOP 15

This is not a recommended setting, but has been working just fine for me producing 720p footage with average bitrates over 40mb a second with out causing any errors on PNY cards.
    1080p mode
    44mb high
    35mb low

5. Collapse Details
    thanks
    Last edited by blues; 07-20-2011 at 06:34 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the test.

How about a comparo between the GH2vk and the GH2? In my less than scientific test (just eyeballing it), the GH2vk gives better shadow details. Can anybody else confirm this?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by VMT View Post
    Thanks for the test.

How about a comparo between the GH2vk and the GH2? In my less than scientific test (just eyeballing it), the GH2vk gives better shadow details. Can anybody else confirm this?
    Agreed, that would be a good test as well. In any case, I 'feel' I'm seeing major improvements with the GH2 in shadow noise, the place where it needed it the most (and yes that makes it a 'noisier' camera... in a good way)

Anybody else try MJPEG at 1080. We're loving the look and seemingly improved sharpness over our old GH13 for MJPEG.

8. Collapse Details
    As usual, very interesting. I have to say I did not find intercutting so easy between GH1 and GH2, the small differences in exposure and color gave me different "takes" on faces and especially natural wood surfaces. The both looked very good, they just didn't look the same. But you are probably better at tweaking the settings
    HD Video: GH2, XA 10s HF G10s
    Microphones: Sennheiser MKH 80 MKH20 MKH40
    Neumann 11-pattern dual capsule main pair by Rens Heijnis
    Schoeps MK2, MK2H, MK21, MK41 CMC6 amps
    12 custom ribbons of my own design
    Digital Editing: Sequoia
    Snapshots: Olympus E-PL1