Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon T3i with Magic Lantern
    So I took the plunge and installed Magic Lantern on my Canon t3i, and I got to say I love it. I have had it on for the past two day, and it has increased the usefullness of the camera by 100 percent. I does most of the major things that I need from it being, audio monitoring when recording, magic zoom, white balance, movie restart, and time lapse.

2. Collapse Details
    Is it stable? Magic Lantern on the 5DII is useless to me as it freezes every so often requiring the battery be removed to reset. The 5DII doesn't have any features that are useful to me but the auto restart on the T3i/600D would be useful so if it were stable I would give it a whirl.

3. Collapse Details
    my t2i with ML also had those "freeze till you take out the battery" problems... back in january! (which, in ML terms, must mean something like 25 builds or so, therefore ancient times)
    newer builds completely killed all those issues

4. Collapse Details
    So far it has froze on me once requiring me to take out the battery, but that was from trying out a feature I wont be really ever be using which was to lock the mirror while time lapse. It has been problem-free when I use the features I mentioned above, though the magic zoom flickers a little but works well enough to get focus while recording. A functioned that I wished worked well was the focus peaking but its not, the focus peaking is off, it seems like the peaking is shifted up and not aligned with the image. The other functions not mentioned work but I have not put a lot of time trying it out like the ones mentioned. Its too soon to say if it is stable but I have been putting it through its paces, using it for about 26 hours in the last three days with the only one time freezing.
    Last edited by laniwolf; 07-17-2011 at 12:16 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    I had the same freezing problems on my T2i back in april. I formatted the card and just recently reinstalled a later build of magic lantern. Much more stable and much better in every aspect.

6. Collapse Details
    Recently got my T2i, installed the last version (at the time: early June) and it works like a charm since. Never had a single issue. When movies stop recording themself, format the card and copy/paste the folders on the card, use EOScard.exe to make it bootable and it's done.
    I really like the cropmarks add-on, as well as the AGC disabled. The audio meters are great too. One thing I like is the manual values for white balance, from 1500k to 12000k. The selected bitrate, being able to record at a lower bitrate allows you to break the 4GB/12mins limit (nice when recording an event). More infos available here and here.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

7. Collapse Details
    Having zebras and histogram are awesome also.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a 600d and its been awesome I have only been able to crash magic lantern when taking stills or switching between play and rec mode quicklty

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomVideo View Post
    I have a 600d and its been awesome I have only been able to crash magic lantern when taking stills or switching between play and rec mode quicklty
    Then I'm probably lucky nothing never happened, never experienced a freeze. Only thing that happened once was that it shown the 'movie has stopped recording automatically' which usually results of a fragmented memory card. A fresh format of the card, re-install ML and everything went fine after.
    I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

10. Collapse Details
    Another unexpected feature that has been coming in real handy is the video remap. I shoot a lot a pictures in AV or manual mode and have found it a hassle to turn the nob all the way to the other side to get to the movie mode. On more than one occasion I thought that the constant turning of the nob will wear it out pretty fast. But with the Video remapped to the A-DEP it is now just one click away from photos. Awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast