Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    HM-790 = 3 1/3" CCD
    HPX-370 = 3 1/3" CMOS

Would that sway some into the darker side of the world? Just playing devils advocate for a moment

Grant

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#Specification
    People rarely swap lenses. Plus the JVC is 8bit only, even via the SDI port. It does have a great form factor, well balanced. But the Panasonic makes better looking video.
    I was referring to the 250 with it's 20x lens, not the 370.... but that special price is something to think about.

2. Collapse Details
    It's even better, just had an email from panasonic showing the 250.. its a 22X lens with what appears to be the 370's innards. This is looking very interesting now.

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/e.../AG-HPX250.php

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    People rarely swap lenses. Plus the JVC is 8bit only, even via the SDI port. It does have a great form factor, well balanced. But the Panasonic makes better looking video.
    I was referring to the 250 with it's 20x lens, not the 370.... but that special price is something to think about.
    I was referring to whether the JVC ccd cam would sway some folks over the new breed of CMOS cams. And better looking video is a very subjective statement. I am interested in a shoulder mount cam for next year, and of course a 370 would be a very strong consideration. But I am also considering a used HPX500. Probably not going with JVC under any circumstances. Just sayin...

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    I also really like the form factor and small ENG body style of JVC but their image quality is lagging behind. I am wondering why no other company picks up this form factor? copyright? I would love to see a 370 or even sony PMW models in such a JVC-similar shape with the viewfinder at the front/side and well balanced for shoulder-work but as small as the 250.

5. Collapse Details
    Looks like B&H will indeed be selling the HPX250 below the announced list price of $6500 ..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Handheld.html

... by a whopping $5 .. but it's still early days though ...

I see B&H have lowered the 170 as well .. the PAL Hz version now 4.6K , Aussie authorised dealers were asking up to 7K mid last year.

Will be interesting to see what price the Aussie dealers will set the HPX250 given it's Hz switchable.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    I was referring to whether the JVC ccd cam would sway some folks over the new breed of CMOS cams. And better looking video is a very subjective statement. I am interested in a shoulder mount cam for next year, and of course a 370 would be a very strong consideration. But I am also considering a used HPX500. Probably not going with JVC under any circumstances. Just sayin...

Grant
    don't know. Some people will always prefer CCD, even though those Panasonic chips have better low light performance and are true 1080p. If the reviews are good, Panasonic has another winner on their hands. I would consider it over an EX1R if the reviews are good. Not having to hook up an external recorder to get better than 4:2:0 video is a great selling point.

7. Collapse Details
    The 250 does sound good indeed, and having that long lens would be very very nice. At the same time, long lenses on CMOS chips aren't known for being too wonderful. Makes you wonder.

Grant

8. Collapse Details
    My XF305 has a pretty long zoom lens, and the quality is excellent.
    I do like the AVC-i 100, 10-bit, 4:2:2, though. I think the HPX250 will be a very good camera. I still have my P2 cards. Hmmm....

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vanvideo View Post
    My XF305 has a pretty long zoom lens, and the quality is excellent.
    I do like the AVC-i 100, 10-bit, 4:2:2, though. I think the HPX250 will be a very good camera. I still have my P2 cards. Hmmm....
    So are you saying you can pan without jello at full telephoto. I am curious about this as I would love to have a long lens, but have heard that CMOS chips and high magnification are problematic.

Grant

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by timbook2 View Post
    I also really like the form factor and small ENG body style of JVC but their image quality is lagging behind. I am wondering why no other company picks up this form factor? copyright? I would love to see a 370 or even sony PMW models in such a JVC-similar shape with the viewfinder at the front/side and well balanced for shoulder-work but as small as the 250.
    I couldn't agree more!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast