Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It's a limitation of the camera (processor) or you can look at it as Sony strategically leaving it out.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswing View Post
    It's a limitation of the camera (processor) or you can look at it as Sony strategically leaving it out.
    ...so that turn into MARKETING POLICY

3. Collapse Details
    Apple just announced 11 and 13 inch MacBook Airs with Thunderbolt I/O, starting at $999 and $1,299 respectively.

The 11" version has a 1366x768 native screen, and the 13" one has 1440x900.

So with a Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D and a MacBook Air you get an off-camera field monitor/director's monitor + 4:4:4 recorder + I/O device combo in a pretty lightweight package for under $2,000 if you go with the 11".

4. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    All the "lightweight" is loosing itīs charm, by the need to be tattered to an AC outlet. You gonna need a fast RAID, that you need to power. Also the Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D needs - at least a few v-mount batteries or AC. Put that all together and you also could use a small,, self contained and probably cheaper desktop coputer, that has everything in one case, instead of an octopus cluster of boxes and cables.

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

5. Collapse Details
    Frank ,I am interested in mac book air+ BM 3d workflow,Can please suggest cheap alternative as your talking ..current project can accomdate a PC as recorder and monitor

Note:BM 3D compatible with Snow leopard..Mac Air is Lion.. Compatible ?

I didn't find any RGB 444 recorder for PC sofar
    Last edited by vishy1983; 07-25-2011 at 01:54 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    All the "lightweight" is loosing itīs charm, by the need to be tattered to an AC outlet. You gonna need a fast RAID, that you need to power. Also the Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D needs - at least a few v-mount batteries or AC. Put that all together and you also could use a small,, self contained and probably cheaper desktop coputer, that has everything in one case, instead of an octopus cluster of boxes and cables.

Frank
    What PCIe cards are there for PCs that can capture 444 HDMI? The only one from BM I know of is the $995 http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...eme/techspecs/. Then one would need a very tiny PC to put the PCIe card and hard drives into, which could be pretty nice as well. Not as portable as you would wish, but much cheaper 444 than a Cinedeck, Cinemartin or Gemini 444.

Quote Originally Posted by vishy1983 View Post
    I didn't find any RGB 444 recorder for PC sofar
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...eme/techspecs/

7. Collapse Details
    Apple route is convincing me as of now.as there is no word available on matrox frame rate support...I am just researching on practical limitations with this workflow..Hope magic has driver for Lion OS as well
    Hope somebody could come up thunderbolt + ipad / android tab for making life much easier
    Last edited by vishy1983; 07-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vishy1983 View Post
    Apple route is convincing me as of now.as there is no word available on matrox frame rate support...I am just researching on practical limitations with this workflow..Hope magic has driver for Lion OS as well
    Hope somebody could come up thunderbolt + ipad / android tab for making life much easier
    You have to incorporate disk space and disk speed into the workflow as well. Drives fast enough will more than likely need external power!

9. Collapse Details
    1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7,256GB Flash Storage from apple should able to handle though its not large..since i will not edit on mac pro air
    Last edited by vishy1983; 07-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmvincent View Post
    You have to incorporate disk space and disk speed into the workflow as well. Drives fast enough will more than likely need external power!
    The BlackMagic UltraStudio 3D can capture to a codec of choice, e.g. CineForm 444/1080p or ProRes 4444/1080p, in realtime.

CineForm 444/1080p is around 40 MB/s (source.) ProRes 4444/1080p is around ~35 MB/s (source in Mbit/s, divide by 8 to get in MByte/s.) Many external bus-powered FireWire 800 drives can reach those speeds, e.g. the G-DRIVE mini with ~60 MB/s R/W speeds (source.) There is also the FireWire 800 bus-powered 1.5TB G-RAID mini with write speed of ~115 MB/s (source).

No need to choose G-Tech though. I'm sure there are plenty of other bus-powered FW800 external hard drives that are more than enough for CineForm 444/1080p or ProRes 4444/1080p.
    Last edited by mandrean; 07-27-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast