Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What did you learn?
    I know that our videos haven't gone live (at the time of writing this), but while we wait, I thought it would be good to learn what you've learned so far from this fest. Off the top of my head:

1.) I learned how to write a villain character. Whether I did well on that or not is up to you guys, but I've NEVER had a villain in anything. At least not one that was a real villain. It was kind of tough. It's not how my mind works (I like people to just get along), so I had to learn how to do that.
    2.) On the technical side, I spent more time with the AF100 (I'd spent one day with it before), and I learned more about that camera. I learned about something called "black balancing." I thought Marlon was pulling my leg because we always joked about the differences with black and white people while shooting his feature, so when he told me to "black balance" the camera, I laughed.
    3.) I learned a little ADR trickery trying to get some of the missing noises fine tuned.
    4.) I also learned not to shoot ADR on the 4th of July. It doesn't matter how quiet you make your house when there are explosions outside.

I'm sure you guys will teach me more once the videos are viewable.

2. Collapse Details
    I learned:
    1.) Rendering 5687 frames of CG animation takes a long, long time.
    2.) Working with four kid actors was fun but trying at times. No patience plus four kids equals bad juju. Somehow we all survived.
    3.) Next time, try scheduling your shoot at the local high school on a weekend when they are NOT having a state-wide three-on-three basketball tournament in the gym.
    4.) Remember that schools turn off the air-conditioners at the end of the school year and that summers are very hot in central Illinois.
    5.) Write a shorter script so you don’t have to explain to your cast and crew that there wasn’t time for credits in your 5:59:23 length film.
    6.0 Come to grips with the fact that once the film is finished you suddenly feel relieved but can’t shake the nagging fact that you think you should be doing SOMETHING other than sitting around staring at this thread.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

3. Collapse Details
    1. As always, learned something new about shooting with the DVX and how shoot better with it.
    2. More about lighting learned in practice.
    3. The huge difference an ME67 makes versus an ME66.
    4. That I am beginning to dislike tape based workflow.
    5. That Sony Vegas is very capable with audio editing.

Every film seems to just make me a better filmmaker. I do more and produce better work each time, so this has been a great experience for me. I feel each piece I do is a new personal best.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ASchear View Post
    5. That Sony Vegas is very capable with audio editing.
    FYI... Vegas was originally an audio editing program developed by Sonic Foundry and Sony bought it.

What I learned this time out:
    1. It's really boring waiting for the sun to go down but having a beautiful actress to look at makes the time go by fast.
    2. If you're nice to the police, they will let you continue your shoot...and again, the beautiful actress didn't hurt the cause (male policeman).
    3. If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, it's an electrical problem.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, it's an electrical problem.
    That was stinking hilarious

6. Collapse Details
    This thread has win.

7. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    What did I learn?
    1) I still suck at planning films...but I manage some how
    2) I think quickly on my feet as far as a semi major rewrite was looming...but worked out great
    3) I am always doomed when it comes to audio...some piece of the audio equipment is either missing...left in someones mothers house...or broke o.O
    4) I can make a film wearing pants!
    5) Zaza is big in Japan...hehe (thats not what she said)...ooo burn...
    6) its 6AM and I need to sleep...but I've been going over the first TDRP thread...holy schiznit...20k views for it...and i can barely muster up 2k here...
    7) Making films is always stressful, but when you show the film to the first group of people and they laugh, its all worth it!

Rogan
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

8. Collapse Details
    I had never done a "found footage" style movie so it was great to get everyone's feedback and and opinions and what worked and what didn't. I learned that "found footage" movies are pretty fun to make and quite a useful genre when you are by yourself alone in the woods with noone to hear you scream.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    I had never done a "found footage" style movie so it was great to get everyone's feedback and and opinions and what worked and what didn't. I learned that "found footage" movies are pretty fun to make and quite a useful genre when you are by yourself alone in the woods with noone to hear you scream.
    This might sound like an odd/dumb question, but was there ever a point, shooting in the dark - where it actually began to feel creepy?

10. Collapse Details
    Chris I was going to write this in my thread eventually, but yes, I was alone in 80 acres of woods, and I what you are seeing in my short is one take, as i truly got the gall to go shoot this.
    The emotion you see me conveying is 100% real, it was scared sh_tless!
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast