Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This is only the second fest i've participated in, but I review and comment on them all after I watch em.
    I never know how to approach the review. Do I review as a director? Or as a pure movie goer?
    There are films that are well made, well acted that I just don't like. Example Leaving Las Vegas, I hated that movie, but it won awards and praise. The subject was not entertaining for me so while as a Director I can praise the acting and directing, as a movie goer I want my money back.

I'm a photographer and I've also noticed that when you ask another photographer to critic your work they get very technical and are so hung up on being critical that they miss emotion. Example I asked a group of photographers what they thought of ten photos, they all agreed on which two were the worst of the group. Guess what? Those two photos, that were ranked "worst" were the two photos that the client LOVED the most. After that I stopped asking photographers what they think and really wondered if they have a disconnect from the client. They weren't over critical or mean or rude, but I fear that I would stress the technical and lose the emotional, which wins every time.

Maybe I'll take a structured format like some others have done. Hawk for example went with "The Good" and the "Not so good." I'll do "The Director Says" and "The movie goer says."

2. Collapse Details
    I like that idea Nemesis, good call.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

3. Collapse Details
    Yep thanks guys! My feedback is based simply on my own perspective on films, i tend to value ideas/ rather than technical accomplishment (which as films evolve is becoming both more sophisticated but also more varied.)

Sorry ive not been around as much! I have actually just watched the films, and intend to post feedback for all of them. I noticed your comments Mr. Fluffy btw, and its a shame you felt that way about the feedback I provided - its up to you whether to take it constructively or not, but its always provided with thes best of intention - like it or leave it ;)
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

4. Collapse Details
    All films watched and commented on! This was a great group of films guys... really good work all around.
    Can't wait to see what the next one will be.

5. Collapse Details
    Good thread to post here. I have been very busy the last two weeks, but I'm blocking out some time this weekend to watch and comment on Villainfest!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

Latest short film WELCOME BACK TO THE PARTY for Horrorfest II
    WATCH NOW for a limited time!

6. Collapse Details
    I think i watched everyone's entry 2 or 3 times and posted a review. Great films everyone, seriously, good bunch of work. Congrats to the newbies who carry on the torch, the old schoolers who continue the tradition., and the mod gods for giving us an outlet.
    Matt Harris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE

7. Collapse Details
    Going to get back to watching and commenting again tonight but I must say that the streaming is useless to me. Tried it on a Mac and a PC.
    Downloading is also quite slowwww...

Can't we get Vimeo on board and open this fest wide up?

Maybe a DVXuser Vimeo group? I've suggested this before but no luck.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

8. Collapse Details
    I agree. Downloading/Streaming was a big to do this time around (took me damn near 3 full days to get all of 'em).

I don't think it even has to be one of the "big boys" like youtube or vimeo...there are hundreds of streaming sites out there; & I've said before that we should partner with one of them.
    Hell, they'd plotz over the exposure of a film fest exclusive.
    I say stream, stream, stream - and lose the downloads outright.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

9. Collapse Details
    Callaghan, why would you say stream and lose the downloads? I'd say the exact opposite and here's why:

My reviews goes like this - Larry puts up the zip files. I download them, it takes about 20-30 minutes to get a few gigs of movies.
    I create a folder called Villainfest. I watch the movies and get my initial reactions. I watch the movies again and write my reviews by pausing and re-watching certain scenes.
    Over the course of 2 weeks, i am often going back and forth re-watching movies and scenes as voting begins and people are discussing films.
    When the fest is over I either dump the Villainfest folder or keep it as an archive.

Streaming allows none of the ease of enjoying the movies, it's a headache to go back and rewatch.
    Matt Harris

10. Collapse Details
    Agree with Matt. I like the downloaded zips. Although zip3 is giving me issues but again workaround is stream or individual download. Then again maybe outsourcing is the way to go to have best of both.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast