Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    seems like a good thread to revive this old write-up from Jack Daniel Stanley.

Worth a read and a consideration at the least, and probably some of the new guys haven't seen it yet:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ving-Criticism
    Thanks, I had just found it - great advice.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philip Nelson View Post
    I did feel that if I had given comments like say, Lawrie, I would not have won as I would have pissed off at least one guy just enough to duck me lower in the ratings.
    I dont beleive that his comments are worth reading. As far as I'm concerned if I did not have a thicker skin his comments would have made me quit filmmaking. How many people will have read his comments and thought "Jeez thats pretty nasty, I'm not going there!"

e.g. " But it teeters as a form of self indulgent experimentation not quite ready to be unleashed to the discerning public."

I hope he never bothers to look at any of my films ever again!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    I dont beleive that his comments are worth reading. As far as I'm concerned if I did not have a thicker skin his comments would have made me quit filmmaking. How many people will have read his comments and thought "Jeez thats pretty nasty, I'm not going there!"

e.g. " But it teeters as a form of self indulgent experimentation not quite ready to be unleashed to the discerning public."

You're going to get someone like this on every "contest" and they are usually somebody who has never made a film themselves. For them, the fest serves as an opportunity to lord it over the little people who stoop to actually create something rather than indulging in the more "sophisticated" art of tearing someone's work apart for the sheer joy of it.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philips Nelson
    I did feel that if I had given comments like say, Lawrie, I would not have won as I would have pissed off at least one guy just enough to duck me lower in the ratings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post

If a film is going to get dissed, at least it's elloquently put! ;)

I like reading Lawrie's reviews.

If it's a negative review I'd much rather it be 2 pages than 2 senteces.

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Brooks View Post
    If a film is going to get dissed, at least it's elloquently put! ;)I like reading Lawrie's reviews.If it's a negative review I'd much rather it be 2 pages than 2 senteces.
    But there's a difference between a negative review and just being unpleasant. A negative review with genuine feedback to help you is what we should get, 6 lines or so telling you that you should not have bothered is just being an .......

6. Collapse Details
    Admittedly, when there were 50-60 films i didn't review them all. And if a movie is so bad... my mother always said "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

But for this fest, i have watched all the films and they are all good, and all very worthy of reviews.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

7. Collapse Details
    I've given my initial first viewing response to each short (unless I missed one, but I don't think I did).

8. Collapse Details
    I'm working my way through slowly (got to wait ages for the files to download to the player as I cant download any of the files seperatly. I'm intending to comment on them all.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Brooks View Post
    If a film is going to get dissed, at least it's elloquently put! ;)

I like reading Lawrie's reviews.

If it's a negative review I'd much rather it be 2 pages than 2 senteces.
    +1... I hope Lawrie stops by for a look...Sarah too! We miss you guys around here.

10. Collapse Details
    I've hit a few but I'm out of town so I'll be getting to them here and there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast