Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is it too much to ask for feedback?
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    One thing I noticed the last few fests is that some filmmakers don't comment in other threads but their own. Not too many, but there are a few.

I'm not sure if they are afraid of a bad rating if they trash someone's film or not, but I think it would be nice if everyone took the time to comment. That's really what the fest is about, feedback.

As long as everybody is respectful it shouldn't come back to haunt anyone. Let's get out there this Fest and give everyone the feedback they deserve.

Cheers.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    One thing I noticed the last few fests is that some filmmakers don't comment in other threads but their own. Not too many, but there are a few.

I'm not sure if they are afraid of a bad rating if they trash someone's film or not, but I think it would be nice if everyone took the time to comment. That's really what the fest is about, feedback.

As long as everybody is respectful it shouldn't come back to haunt anyone. Let's get out there this Fest and give everyone the feedback they deserve.

Cheers.
    +1 (with a bullet!)

3. Collapse Details
    I believe that seems fair enough. During the last fest, I kept my thoughts about everything to a constructive minimum. There were some that were clearly better than others (The Rook Moves, for example), and I wasn't sure how to compare them. But the realization hit me that it doesn't matter how good or bad it is, there's something that can be learned from it. I mean, how many of the shorts get a "10" you know?

So yeah, I'm in.

4. Collapse Details
    I concur gentlemen, with two asterisks...

*Give an honest, but respectful critique and try very hard to give your own critique opposed to agreeing with other reviews.

*If you talk about major plot points please use a spoiler warning.

10 original reviews are infinitely more helpful than 20 reviews that are all agreeing with each other. Even if you do agree, try to call it the way YOU see it. It may add insight.
    My new method is to not read the other reviews until after I've submitted my review. That's how I try to keep it fresh. If I inadvertently come up with a similar review to what someone else has said, that's good, it's a sign of something working or not. But your specific insight might bring something forward the other review didn't.
    SCRIPTFEST VII TOP 3 | THE MELT | WEBSITE | IMDB | EMAIL
    Wordsmith & Graphic Designer. Will work for credit, coffee and money.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Teflon View Post
    I wasn't sure how to compare them.
    I think you hit on something there Hawk... the idea of these fests used to be that you judged a film on it's own merit.... NOT compared to other films.
    I even recall a post all about this in past fests. You are RATING each film on a scale of 1 to 10.... not RANKING them against each other.

... or at least that's what I've always done. That way, you can easily have 2 or 3 highly rated films.

6. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Actually, I believe Jason has stated many times (I think it's actually in the rules) NOT to compare films, but to rate them on their own merit.

Easier said than done but I get what he means. Besides, it's hard to compare animated comedies to horror films and such so it really makes sense when you think about it.

Larry posts something like this every Fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Rutledge View Post

Congratulations to everyone who entered... and best of luck to the finalists... Remember, you are rating each film individually. This is a star system.. it is not a ranking system. You can have 3 films a 7, two as a 6, four as an 8... whatever... just think of it like putting stars on a video at youtube.
    Last edited by Michael Anthony Horrigan; 07-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

7. Collapse Details
    Right! I always rate them on their own merit, but in terms of commenting it was harder. I'll keep them on their own merit for comments this time.

So do you find it's easier to watch one and rate it / comment on it or watch them all then rate and comment? I've always done the latter, but I might watch/rate/comment on them separately. But I get so anxious to watch the next one.

8. Collapse Details
    I agree. I think everybody should review the films, especially in the fests where there's not 60 or 70 like there have been in the past. Like this fest has 17 entries, I think. There shouldn't be any excuse about not having time to leave a review. If you have time to watch it, then you should have time to review it. It really helps the filmmakers grow and learn and as long as the reviews are constructive, they'll definitely be respected. Without critiques of our work, where are we? We're in a field where an audience can make or break your film and it's not that we have to specifically cater to what the audience wants per say, but our films need to be professionally and technically sound first, and you can get great advice on how to make all that happen right here.

Watch the film (1/21/13) HERE!

iZaza Slider...Do you?

9. Collapse Details
    Yes... and now we can use the "spoiler" box too!

Spoiler:
    Isn't this a great feature? Thanks Jason!

10. Collapse Details
    So do you find it's easier to watch one and rate it / comment on it or watch them all then rate and comment? I've always done the latter, but I might watch/rate/comment on them separately. But I get so anxious to watch the next one.
    I find it's easier for me to watch and comment one at a time. That way I can just focus on that particular film, I can re-watch parts of it if need be, and get my thoughts out before they get lost. That said, I don't write out a full review right then, I just note down my thoughts and comments and flesh it out later. Like Anthony, I also avoid reading other peoples' reviews for a film until after I have watched and made my notes.

I totally understand where you're coming from though, after you watch one the temptation is to just start the next one right away. And if you have the time, it may not be a bad thing to watch through them all at once, the first time just to enjoy them and get a general feel for the films, and then again to focus on each film independently and critique.

But in the end, just do what works for you. Don't be afraid to put your comments out there. Like others have said, as long as you're respectful, we are generally all here to get comment and criticism. I was even commenting on films before I ever entered a fest here. Then I entered two, and got my butt handed to me both times, so take my comments for what they're worth

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast